Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bsharp77

by bsharp77

WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:51 pm
bsharp77 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:31 pm
WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:16 pm
@bsharp77

I would have no issues buying a blanking plate, but for some reason Giant has very little presence in the U.S., especially in my part of the mid-atlantic states. I have one Giant dealer about an hour away from me and I would venture a guess, that I would have just as long or maybe a longer backorder time getting the plate from them.
Would scale photos of the blanking plate and the cavity position on the frame be enough for you to have a go?
I imagine it's not the shape that will present the problem, but rather aligning the hole to match exactly.
I called the local dealer, they are contacting their Giant rep to see if the part is available in the U.S. I might have an answer by tomorrow. With the cover in hand I can see what structure Giant placed on the back side of the cover and what I might need to work around. It would be easier if it was in my hands. We will see if that is possible. I will likely still need photos, to see what it looks like in the hole/downtube.
Amazing work!
I'll go out and take as many detailed photos as I can this evening and get them all sent over to you.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@bsharp77

Was told I should be able to pick up the part in about a week. Angel, will email me when it comes in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steadimann

by Steadimann

Does anyone know Garmin Varia mount for Pinarello Most Lynx seat? The seat has two screws 60mm apart. Something similar to this: https://www.magcad-designs.com/products ... ddle-mount

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Waldo... this evening I got two saddle mounts that I ordered from your shapeways page. The center mounted, vertical one mountes perfectly. The offset one that mounts the varia horizontally does not... there is a lot of plastic around the mount holes in comparison to the other one and even though the screw holes line up, there's too much meat for it to fit into place. The mount is also thicker, requiring longer bolts.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:10 am
Waldo... this evening I got two saddle mounts that I ordered from your shapeways page. The center mounted, vertical one mountes perfectly. The offset one that mounts the varia horizontally does not... there is a lot of plastic around the mount holes in comparison to the other one and even though the screw holes line up, there's too much meat for it to fit into place. The mount is also thicker, requiring longer bolts.
Send me a picture or two so I can see what you are talking about.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Hopefully these work. The first first picture is showing the mounting depth.... that's not a huge issue. I bought bolts based on the sizing listed for the standard mount, but they didn't fit because of the depth. Fortunately, standard bottle cage bolts are the right size and depth so I had a bunch. The bigger issue is the amount of material on the sides of the holes... I can line up one side, but it won't screw all the way down because there's a conflict with the base of the saddle edge.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:48 pm
Hopefully these work. The first first picture is showing the mounting depth.... that's not a huge issue. I bought bolts based on the sizing listed for the standard mount, but they didn't fit because of the depth. Fortunately, standard bottle cage bolts are the right size and depth so I had a bunch. The bigger issue is the amount of material on the sides of the holes... I can line up one side, but it won't screw all the way down because there's a conflict with the base of the saddle edge.
I see what I did, please note that this was originally created for a specific person. Not all Specialized SWAT saddles have the same space requirements. They are all 50 mm CtC holes but some of their saddle shells are molded differently. I used a different base model for the bolt on section and that is why it is a bit different. I will look at the model again and see if there are ways to improve the sideways version

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:20 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
I see what I did, please note that this was originally created for a specific person. Not all Specialized SWAT saddles have the same space requirements. They are all 50 mm CtC holes but some of their saddle shells are molded differently. I used a different base model for the bolt on section and that is why it is a bit different. I will look at the model again and see if there are ways to improve the sideways version
I totally understand... I went back and looked at the original post and it looks like he's use an older power saddle model. I'm on a relatively new SWorks Romin Mirror and it looks like the base of the saddle is a little different from the older ones. I'm going to try and shave/grind down the plastic in the areas I need to.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:01 pm
WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:20 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
I totally understand... I went back and looked at the original post and it looks like he's use an older power saddle model. I'm on a relatively new SWorks Romin Mirror and it looks like the base of the saddle is a little different from the older ones. I'm going to try and shave/grind down the plastic in the areas I need to.
Shaving off some of the side should not impact the integrity of the mount in any way. Still will look at the mount soon, probably sometime over the weekend since I am currently ill and on bed rest for a few days.

To @bsharp77
The part came in already, but I can't go and retrieve it from the bike shop until, at the very soonest, this weekend. Same reason I gave @CrankAddictsRich.

bsharp77

by bsharp77

No problem Waldo - theres no rush. Hope you feel better soon - thats much more important!

stermyx

by stermyx

Hello,

Anyone knows a Varia Mount something like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5417092

But a bit shorter?? Want the design to print by myself.

Thanks.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@stermyx, if the person who posted that to Thingiverse has the actual 3D model and is willing to send it to you then you can cut it down yourself. If all he has is the .STL file, I would suggest passing on it as STL files are simply too much trouble to modify.

You could also try sites like MyMiniFactory, Printables, Cults, or any of a number of repositories. YTou could also use a site like Yeggi to search multiple sites all at one time. Might make it easier to find something specific.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Has anyone done work with Quad Lock mounts?

I'm looking for essentially this product: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1168237936 ... rmin-wahoo

...but at a custom height & hopefully printed in something stronger than just regular PLA, as it'd be absorbing a lot of road vibrations.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@bsharp77

I modeled the cover (Giant Part Number 1471-CBLSTPD-0010), it is just the top part as I didn't know how much room I would need on the bottom side. You can look at the progress so far here, https://a360.co/3HHvx5L. This is being built as a component, that way I can add whatever I want to the underside, to be hidden from view within the downtube. As an example, I could smack an AirTag socket to the backside, and it would be hidden yet accesible for those yearly battery changes, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com