Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

inertianinja wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:51 pm
Has anyone done work with Quad Lock mounts?

I'm looking for essentially this product: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1168237936 ... rmin-wahoo

...but at a custom height & hopefully printed in something stronger than just regular PLA, as it'd be absorbing a lot of road vibrations.
Sorry, I have done anything with Quadlock, maybe someone else has something.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

inertianinja

by inertianinja

WheresWaldo wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:57 pm
inertianinja wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:51 pm
Has anyone done work with Quad Lock mounts?

I'm looking for essentially this product: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1168237936 ... rmin-wahoo

...but at a custom height & hopefully printed in something stronger than just regular PLA, as it'd be absorbing a lot of road vibrations.
Sorry, I have done anything with Quadlock, maybe someone else has something.
I actually found one with a downloadable STL here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4337656

At some point I'll get around to editing the file to my needs, then I'll see about having it printed in something solid i guess?

stermyx

by stermyx

WheresWaldo wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:45 pm
@stermyx, if the person who posted that to Thingiverse has the actual 3D model and is willing to send it to you then you can cut it down yourself. If all he has is the .STL file, I would suggest passing on it as STL files are simply too much trouble to modify.

You could also try sites like MyMiniFactory, Printables, Cults, or any of a number of repositories. YTou could also use a site like Yeggi to search multiple sites all at one time. Might make it easier to find something specific.
Thank you, the only file i can see is the .stl. Ill try to contact the person who posted it. Thanks for help.

bsharp77

by bsharp77

WheresWaldo wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:53 pm
@bsharp77

I modeled the cover (Giant Part Number 1471-CBLSTPD-0010), it is just the top part as I didn't know how much room I would need on the bottom side. You can look at the progress so far here, https://a360.co/3HHvx5L. This is being built as a component, that way I can add whatever I want to the underside, to be hidden from view within the downtube. As an example, I could smack an AirTag socket to the backside, and it would be hidden yet accesible for those yearly battery changes, etc.
Thanks Waldo - its saying "unauthorised" when I click on your link - do you need to make it public so I can view?
Good to see you are feeling better!

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Sorry, my fault. Still not 100% but much better.
https://a360.co/3kKtg0H
bsharp77 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:15 am
WheresWaldo wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:53 pm
@bsharp77

I modeled the cover (Giant Part Number 1471-CBLSTPD-0010), it is just the top part as I didn't know how much room I would need on the bottom side. You can look at the progress so far here, https://a360.co/3HHvx5L. This is being built as a component, that way I can add whatever I want to the underside, to be hidden from view within the downtube. As an example, I could smack an AirTag socket to the backside, and it would be hidden yet accesible for those yearly battery changes, etc.
Thanks Waldo - its saying "unauthorised" when I click on your link - do you need to make it public so I can view?
Good to see you are feeling better!

bsharp77

by bsharp77

Hi Waldo,

Thanks for all the work in getting the model this far.
At present, what you have mimicks the standard faceplate very well indeed.

The adapted faceplates circumfrence will need to be 3-4mm larger all around to sit "over" the frame recess if that makes sense.
With the junction box sitting in the hole, it sits proud of the frame, so the adapted faceplate needs to be taller and wider to enclose it.
The back of the faceplate will need to have a recess to allow the junction box to slot neatly into it.

I really hope im making this clear - sorry if not - its not overly complicated, but trying to covey everything without you being able to see it makes it a bit more of a challenge!

Photo of the junction box as it sits in the frame now:

Photo of the kind of recess that would need to be in the back of the new adapted faceplate:

Photo to show the finished item that we are trying to replcate (created by CCC Pro Team)

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Doesn't that square frame remove from the junction box? I though I saw that in the Shimano Technical Document.

Also, I got a laugh out of the fact that you placed the Junction Box upsidedown in the opening :lol:
bsharp77 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:13 pm
Hi Waldo,

Thanks for all the work in getting the model this far.
At present, what you have mimicks the standard faceplate very well indeed.

The adapted faceplates circumfrence will need to be 3-4mm larger all around to sit "over" the frame recess if that makes sense.
With the junction box sitting in the hole, it sits proud of the frame, so the adapted faceplate needs to be taller and wider to enclose it.
The back of the faceplate will need to have a recess to allow the junction box to slot neatly into it.

I really hope im making this clear - sorry if not - its not overly complicated, but trying to covey everything without you being able to see it makes it a bit more of a challenge!

Photo of the junction box as it sits in the frame now:

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

I just noticed CCC did the same thing, not that it matters.

I think the CCC implementation looks cleaner, I don't really care for the middle image. IMHO, that only works if you have a large enough hole in the downtube to recess the entire box, plate and all.
Last edited by WheresWaldo on Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Nevermind, I see that the square part doesn't not come off, at least according to the images in the dealer manual, https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/dm/R9150 ... 09-ENG.pdf, specifically pages 55-59.

Either the CCC Pro team got a custom part from Shimano (highly unlikely), or that square section can be removed (I would bet money on that possibility). If the square section can be removed then that opens up a few possibilities for a clean looking install. My now old bike (2012 Cannondale EVO) only has 11-speed Ultegra Di2 and I have no place to put a device like the EW-RS910 in the frame. Otherwise, I might have bought one for myself.
Last edited by WheresWaldo on Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bsharp77

by bsharp77

WheresWaldo wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:15 pm
I just noticed CCC did the same thing, not that it matters.

I think the CCC implementation looks cleaner, I don't really care for the middle image. IMHO, that only works if you have a large enough hole in the downtube to recess the entire box, plate and all.
The middle image was to just an example to show what CCC must have done on the underside of their faceplate (it's a faceplate from a different Giant bike).

The square plate acts as a holder against the frame for the junction box (it is completely moulded and not removable - and if it was it doesn't really help much).

I am hoping to recreate the CCC implementation exactly. Everything else is just photos for more information and reference.

bsharp77

by bsharp77

Just thinking about it some more, we actually can get away without worrying about the countersunk design on the back.
That's only to keep the junction box from twisting.
To save a lot of design headaches, a simple shell that encloses everything would be fine - any rotational movement could be sorted with a bit of 3M tape.
I could also cut the circle opening so if you can design as a blank shell that would be fine.

So if you can take your base design, expand by approx 2mm all around (with an inward bevel) and raise up to be level with the finishing height of the junction box (2.35mm) that should be fine.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

It looks like the CCC version sits proud of the downtube. My guess is 3 mm, but can't tell for sure.

Could you tell me what the cover looks like on your TCR, my local Giant dealer is almost 100% mountain bikes, all I saw was one Defy in stock, any other road bikes were low end, no TCRs! So I don't actually know what it looks link in place. (Picture please)
bsharp77 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:24 pm
Just thinking about it some more, we actually can get away without worrying about the countersunk design on the back.
That's only to keep the junction box from twisting.
To save a lot of design headaches, a simple shell that encloses everything would be fine - any rotational movement could be sorted with a bit of 3M tape.
I could also cut the circle opening so if you can design as a blank shell that would be fine.

So if you can take your base design, expand by approx 2mm all around (with an inward bevel) and raise up to be level with the finishing height of the junction box (2.35mm) that should be fine.

bsharp77

by bsharp77

bsharp77

by bsharp77

After completely just messing up a spare blanking plate it looks like I will need the hole in it too!!!

For reference, the frame hole is 4.5mm up from the bottom line of the border.
The hole itself is 18.6mm in diameter.

I would guess 3mm is pretty close as to how proud the cover should sit - it's not absolutely vital this is my perfect as long as it does indeed sit over the top - the only important thing is that the hole aligns.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@bsharp77

Sent you a PM with requests for measurements, preferably metric measures with calipers.