Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Sent you another DM with a proper link.
tenja wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:43 pm
WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:34 pm
tenja wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:32 pm
I want to order another Canted SWAT Varia Mount in Large size (to allow for a saddle bag), and am wondering if you have a model that incorporates the apple airtag on the front side. I see you have the normal mount that does this, but do not see the canted version offered. Any plans for that before I order?
I sent you a private message.
Just saw the message but I don't think I have enough posts on here to reply, or at least I see no way to reply to your message. Regardless, no I cannot see anything at the link you provided. Get a general error page instead.

tenja

by tenja

Awesome. Just placed the order. Thanks!
WheresWaldo wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:36 pm
Sent you another DM with a proper link.
tenja wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:43 pm
WheresWaldo wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:34 pm
tenja wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:32 pm
I want to order another Canted SWAT Varia Mount in Large size (to allow for a saddle bag), and am wondering if you have a model that incorporates the apple airtag on the front side. I see you have the normal mount that does this, but do not see the canted version offered. Any plans for that before I order?
I sent you a private message.
Just saw the message but I don't think I have enough posts on here to reply, or at least I see no way to reply to your message. Regardless, no I cannot see anything at the link you provided. Get a general error page instead.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@tenja
No Problem

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Just picked up a Varia RCT715 Seat Post Mount. I will be making some adapters for it for specific bicycles.

I have already disassembled the mount and I have a few opinions about it. It is bulky, not just big, and its heavier than I expected. The other issue I have is that in my opinion the design was just phoned in by Garmin, They could have easily made it compatible with the old quarter-turn devices. The mounting attachment is significantly smaller that the quarter-turn. I hope they don't make this a standard mount for Varia devices going forward. Lastly the design is overly complicated with two separate angles with each of the supplied heavy rubber spacers. Since this seems to have been designed by someone just out of design school, personally I think it is one of the worst mounts Garmin has ever built, and my Garmin use dates back to the Edge 205/305 slide in mount. One plus is that this mount appears to be very secure, there is no chance a device will work itself loose as the device doesn't actually twist, the mount does.

Give me a couple of weeks to make sure I can reverse engineer it properly. So far it looks like a RCT715 owner will need to remove 2 screws locating on the back side of the mount (closest to the seat post). The screws are M3 x 6 mm and use a T10 torx bit to remove. The screws are small and easy to lose. I plan on having the RCT715 owner reuse the screws in the new mount. I will try to include a few pictures of the mount disassembled later this week or next.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Update: I have modeled an adapter to the disassembled RCT715 mount. I think in its current state I will likely only do mounts for the Shimano Pro Saddles and Specialized SWAT equipped saddles as well as the Trek under saddle integrated mount and the Bontrager Blendr mounting system. It is just big and bulky and the mounting holes are in an awkward spot to make it a clean model for all the different seat posts out there (unless I go back to the two bolt clamp design). 

I have an order in with Shapeways to print a 27.2 mm round version of my mount. It is a test to see if I got the angles correct, will not be publically available.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Update 2:
Got the adapter back from Shapeways and there is an issue with the angle. I believe I know why Garmin designed it this way, even if I think it is excessive. I also know that the two screw posts that hold it together are parallel to the face but I don't want to design a hunk of plastic that just makes it a simple adapter. More plastic, more cost, more weight. It has to be good looking too! (relatively speaking)

I have another sub-section being printed by Shapeways, will see how that works.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Anyone looking for a mount for the MY22 Specialized Allez Sprint, the SL7 varia mount fits and here is a picture to prove it.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

I now have a few mounts for the new Garmin Varia Camera, the RCT715. Because of the awkward size and angles of the mount for this new Garmin device, I am only offering a few mounts atr this moment (all integrated saddle mounts). Please do not expect any seat post mounts at this particular time.

The three offerings are:

Specialized SWAT Garmin RCT715 Mount Adapter
Bontrager Blender RCT715 Mount Adapter
Trek Integrated Saddle Mount Varia RCT715 Adapter

Here are some guidelines on how to use the mount adapters:
  1. Remove the two Torx (star) screws from the back side of Garmin's supplied mount using a T9 Torx (star) bit or T9 Torx (star) driver. Save these screws as they will be reused. Do not lose them, they are small.
  2. Separate the back from the front of the Garmin mount and set aside the rear portion, we no longer need this section of the mount.
  3. Attach the new compatible adapter module onto the back side of the remaining section of the RCT715 mount and secure with the two screws you set aside earlier.
  4. Attach the newly completed mount onto your saddle with two M-5 (5 mm) x 10 mm pan head socket screws or slide into place in the case of the Trek Integrated Seat Post Mount.
  5. You can use this arrangement exactly like the original Garmin RCT715 mount.
I will try to add pictures in the future unless one of you guys do it before I do.

citadelguard

by citadelguard

I'm not sure if this has been asked before - but are you willing to sell the models for people with their own printers or are you fully committed to selling them through your ShapeWays store? I did see your Thingiverse page but it had none of the items I was interested in. Thank you, your works look fantastic!
- 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO
- 1982 Team Fuji (Setup for gravel)
- 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper HT L (In pieces)

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

I do not sell nor do I give away any of my models digital assets.

easyb

by easyb

WheresWaldo wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:09 am
Just got these images from someone who wanted a mount for their SWAT equipped saddle

For us weight weenies the mount without the screws weighed in at 6 grams.
Would you be able to make one of these to attach to top of rails on Fabric saddle?

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@easyb,

Rail mounts for heavier devices are not really something I try to focus on. The mounting section is smaller and there is more weight placed further away from that mounting position. I would have to work out how to design this and it might just look like an unwieldy mess of nylon. I will think about it, but please don't hold your breath.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Waldo,

Have you ever considered doing a front mount for Bontrager Blendr lights that is attached to a thin headset spacer? I would love someway to mount a Blender front light without taking up space on the handle bar.

Something like this but for Blender - https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... f=1&nofb=1

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@BdaGhisallo

That is actually my mount for the junction box. I am no longer doing any new front mounts, I really think that something like this needs to be aluminum and not nylon, I am just not 100% sure what the long term effects are of having a mount like this under compression. Plus, the Junction box is only a few grams and lights are many, many grams more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

WheresWaldo wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:25 pm
@BdaGhisallo

That is actually my mount for the junction box. I am no longer doing any new front mounts, I really think that something like this needs to be aluminum and not nylon, I am just not 100% sure what the long term effects are of having a mount like this under compression. Plus, the Junction box is only a few grams and lights are many, many grams more.
Interesting. As for weight, I was only thinking of mounting a Bontrager Ion light like that, so nothing heavy at all.