Lance bites the dust

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

djconnel wrote:Testa's excuse is "I didn't give it to them. I told them if they were going to use it how to do so safely."

Not seen that particular quote before. Got a link please?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

ultimobici wrote:
djconnel wrote:Testa's excuse is "I didn't give it to them. I told them if they were going to use it how to do so safely."

Not seen that particular quote before. Got a link please?

Right there in the exert - "Hendershot rationalized the lie by saying the doping process was overseen by Max Testa, an Italian doctor who is still working in the sport and running a sports medicine clinic in Utah. In 2006, Testa told me that he gave his riders the instructions to use EPO but never administered drugs to those riders. "

petepeterson

by petepeterson

That quote isn't in what you quoted either....

oh internetz.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I'm guessing what djconnell wrote wasn't the exact quote that was in the exert. The one I put was a copy and paste directly from the article - not paraphrased.

mrfish

by mrfish

One can only hope that cycling's Truth and Reconciliation commission uncovers the full extent of cycling pharmacology so that we can remove these influences from the sport.

jjmstang

by jjmstang

mrfish wrote:One can only hope that cycling's Truth and Reconciliation commission uncovers the full extent of cycling pharmacology so that we can remove these influences from the sport.

It won't and you will never get rid of doping in sports
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

In https://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/stat ... 0484757504
Lance Armstrong wrote: @lancearmstrong
I can’t drop many people on a bike these days but I just blew the *f##k*’ doors off Mike Pence on a Nantucket bike path. Day. Made.
2:49 PM · Aug 10, 2019
Based on this, I think his 7 TdF titles should be restored. Also his buddy, Floyd's. And Levi's podium.

Note: Profanity in Lance's tweet was edited by WW forum software.

AJS914

by AJS914

How does Lance bite the dust again? I read the article. I don't read anything revolutionary there.

Eddy Merckx who was a convicted doper was introduced at the Tour grand depart in Belgium this year as 'the king'. In fact, it was a multi-day Eddy love fest in Belgium this year.

Mapei was the best doped team of the middle 90s. 1, 2, & 3 at Paris Roubaix. Patrick Lefevere still coaches DQS, one of the best teams in the World Tour. DQS still employs doctors from the doping era.

The sport we all love has been doped to the gills for decades and decades. Maybe it's a little cleaner today. In the next decade or two we'll see genetically doped athletes show up, probably from countries where anything goes (think China, Russia, South Korea). Pro sports may turn into a big joke.

Lance Armstrong gets all the attention because he was a a-*hole. I get that. But, the whole sport looks the other way as previous dopers are still celebrated. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

northwestern

by northwestern

stella-azzurra wrote:
Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:48 pm
Lance's new house is apparently bigger than his previous: 12,000 sqf vs 7800 sqf but with a smaller yard LOL.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/r ... -1.1320973
Not a lot of people know that Lance made his money from the Livestrong foundation. It raised around 500 million and less than 5% actually went to cancer research. LOL. I'm not saying he took all the rest but one can make an educated guess.

KB

by KB

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:14 pm
How does Lance bite the dust again? I read the article. I don't read anything revolutionary there.

Lance Armstrong gets all the attention because he was a a-*hole. I get that. But, the whole sport looks the other way as previous dopers are still celebrated. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
All the above. Have been following the sport for over 50 years. Big stars like Coppi, Anquetil freely admitted it; Merckx was at it along with all his peers; Hinault refused dope tests; then we got a 'clean' new sport until jiffy bags and the Sky BS started.

Lance's wins got taken away from him because of his personality, not what he was doing differently to anyone else. If you take his 7 wins away then you have to do the same with almost everyone who's won the Tour since the second World War.

DurianGrey

by DurianGrey

crap, I opened this thread thinking he had actually bitten the dust and wasn't still a world-famous multimillionaire with a huge pile of stans who gets invited on TV to comment on the sport he's banned for life from

spud

by spud

northwestern wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:57 pm
stella-azzurra wrote:
Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:48 pm
Lance's new house is apparently bigger than his previous: 12,000 sqf vs 7800 sqf but with a smaller yard LOL.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/r ... -1.1320973
Not a lot of people know that Lance made his money from the Livestrong foundation. It raised around 500 million and less than 5% actually went to cancer research. LOL. I'm not saying he took all the rest but one can make an educated guess.
I am not a Lance fan, but that's a pretty strong statement. Any large scale charity gets audited, and I very much doubt he skimmed money off the top - it would have absolutely destroyed his legacy (prior to the admission of doping), not something he would have done (IMHO). As I understand it, the Livestrong foundation was not founded to fund cancer research, but rather to offer support to cancer patients and their families (paying bills, obtaining accommodations and services).

ms6073

by ms6073

northwestern wrote:
Not a lot of people know that Lance made his money from the Livestrong foundation. It raised around 500 million and less than 5% actually went to cancer research.
I am not a Lance fan and am not defending him, but you need to read a little (lot) more as mentioned above, Livestrong was and still is about 'cancer survivorship' in which the organiztion provides resources and information for patients and families who are aflicted by/living with cancer. While Lance did benefit from being a board member and conducting promotional events, the bulk of his wealth came through salaries and other financial vehicles, not to mention payouts from the numerous lawsuits his legal team pursued during his racing career!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Karvalo

by Karvalo

northwestern wrote:
Right, just like not a lot of people know that Jimmy Hoffa lives on the moon.

The lucky *f##k* put money in Uber when it was a startup. An utter bastard saving his fortune by investing in a company run by even bigger bastards :lol: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/lance-a ... amily.html

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

I wonder how much money he made with that $100k investment when uber was still a startup

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com