Lance bites the dust

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

LeDuke

by LeDuke

ChiZ01 wrote:I wonder how much money he made with that $100k investment when uber was still a startup
Given that he lives in one of the most expensive towns in the US, I’d say whatever that amount was, he’s quite comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRich

by TheRich

If only he could monetize his living rent free in so many people's heads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Who cares? Anything new on the subject is old news. Lance embodied so many things that are base and petty and mean with respect to humanity. I say F him. He made his choices he can live with them. We Americans have Lemond and Hampsten. Two amazing athletes who did the right thing. Honorable men and why, with respect to Trek, I’ll never ride one of their bikes.
Colnago e Campagnolo

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

I think Lance is doing fine.

He has two great podcasts with millions of listeners worldwide. He is funny and self effacing in them.

His podcasts for me are a must listen. The ones with Johann were so insightful for the Giro and the Tour.

Yes, he has been a massive douchebag over the years. But pro sport is entertainment. And he was entertaining.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

RTW wrote:I think Lance is doing fine.

He has two great podcasts with millions of listeners worldwide. He is funny and self effacing in them.

His podcasts for me are a must listen. The ones with Johann were so insightful for the Giro and the Tour.

Yes, he has been a massive douchebag over the years. But pro sport is entertainment. And he was entertaining.
I listened for the first time to the ones in the tour. Didn’t find him insightful, knowledgeable, funny, or even clever when it came to the race tactics and logistics. This was surprising to me coming from a pro with so many years of racing/competition.

Hincapie, while I always saw him as a “head down yes sir” type of guy, I found funny and insightful about a lot of racing related info. Agree in that the ones with Brunyel were very good indeed and far more than just entertaining. He certainly has a lot of day to day insight in today’s peloton, and for someone no longer involved in the sport in his previous capacity it was interesting.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

dgasmd wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:58 pm
I listened for the first time to the ones in the tour. Didn’t find him insightful, knowledgeable, funny, or even clever when it came to the race tactics and logistics. This was surprising to me coming from a pro with so many years of racing/competition.

Hincapie, while I always saw him as a “head down yes sir” type of guy, I found funny and insightful about a lot of racing related info. Agree in that the ones with Brunyel were very good indeed and far more than just entertaining. He certainly has a lot of day to day insight in today’s peloton, and for someone no longer involved in the sport in his previous capacity it was interesting.
I didn't say I thought Lance himself was particularly insightful, but his Podcasts are (and the Brunyel one, stages, and The Forward are all 'his'). I do find Lance entertaining though.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Will Lance bite the Martian dust?

Captain Kirk may decide whether Lance makes it to Mars and is crowned "brightest star in the galaxy."

Hmm, maybe that should be biggest doper bully in the galaxy.

William Shatner reveals why he won’t return to space: It would be like 'revisiting a love affair

Andrew69

by Andrew69

northwestern wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:57 pm
Not a lot of people know that Lance made his money from the Livestrong foundation. It raised around 500 million and less than 5% actually went to cancer research. LOL. I'm not saying he took all the rest but one can make an educated guess.
Yeah, Im gunna have to ask for a source for that mate, because Lance always said, right from the start, Livestrong was never about funding research (there were already lots of foundations that do that), it was always about helping out the actual people suffering from the disease.

I get Lance was a a-hole to everyone around him, but as the husband of a woman that has suffered with cancer, I wont let you talk shit about the good work he did do unless you have verifiable sources.

Doped or not, Lance made cycling exciting.
The tactics in professional racing today are almost too boring to watch.
Say what you will about doping in cycling, but at least it made it exciting.

And lets not fool ourselves about doping in other sports either.
When it comes to money, cycling is nothing. The money paid to a single top football players in Europe could run a cycling team from a whole year, and people really expect me to believe they are all clean?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

There were a lot bigger dopers. They were not as big of an A-hole as Armstrong. I know the original owner of Vision handlebars and politely, he was difficult to deal with. LA was not stupid. He was light years ahead of training with dope than anyone else.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Andrew69 wrote:
northwestern wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:57 pm
Not a lot of people know that Lance made his money from the Livestrong foundation. It raised around 500 million and less than 5% actually went to cancer research. LOL. I'm not saying he took all the rest but one can make an educated guess.
Yeah, Im gunna have to ask for a source for that mate, because Lance always said, right from the start, Livestrong was never about funding research (there were already lots of foundations that do that), it was always about helping out the actual people suffering from the disease.

I get Lance was a a-hole to everyone around him, but as the husband of a woman that has suffered with cancer, I wont let you talk shit about the good work he did do unless you have verifiable sources.
I can’t remember where i found it,but when Armstrong was involved Livestrong was taken to task for spending 45% of their income on admin. Now, post Armstrong they are at under 20%. Don’t forget the sneaky way Livestrong under Armstrong had a .com site for those yellow bands! Found it
Doped or not, Lance made cycling exciting.
The tactics in professional racing today are almost too boring to watch.
Say what you will about doping in cycling, but at least it made it exciting.
The effect you’re seeing is from radios. Armstrong wasn’t any more explosive than Pantani, Riis & Ulrich.
And lets not fool ourselves about doping in other sports either.
When it comes to money, cycling is nothing. The money paid to a single top football players in Europe could run a cycling team from a whole year, and people really expect me to believe they are all clean?
Fair point, underlined by how Operation Puerto was handled. Barca & Real Madrid had a lucky escape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I love Lance. Hated him in 93 and then grew to love him by 95.
Love his podcast, some of my favourite cycling memories are from his peak years.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

Butcher wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:02 am
LA was not stupid. He was light years ahead of training with dope than anyone else.
Actually he wasn't. He had a non-compete clause with Dr. Ferrari, whose specialty was not only in doping but in his connections with other corrupt individuals who worked at the various labs that do anti-doping testing. And he had the UCI in his pocket. There is nothing "light years ahead" about any of that. Institutional corruption at the levels required to pull off a scam of such magnitude is the only magic required.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Everyone doped backed then, so the playing field was even. He doped better than the others. Much more sophisticated than others. If he indeed had a non-compete clause, that just proves he was ahead of others. Why did the others not get that from the Dr? Oh yeah, he was thinking way ahead of the others. Doping alone does not win races. Training is also needed. His training methods were top notch. Eating, sleeping, etc. Yes, he doped, so did the others. Yes, he had doctors, so did the others. Yes, he trained, so did the others. The difference is that he took it to a higher level. ie light years ahead of his competitors.

Many driven athetes are jerks because they push themself really hard and expect everyone to do the same. When you do not, then they can't comprehend that, and get mad. More so in team sports vs individual.

Lance was a jerk, not supporting that, but it was impressive what he did do in races that as far as I'm concerned were an unlimited class. Rules? What rules?

warthog101

by warthog101

I don't find anything about somebody who cheated more systematically than others "impressive".
Just somebody who was more determined to win by cheating and showed less restraint in how far he would in terms of systematically breaking rules to "beat" others.
Less conscience and restraint and more preparedness to manipulate others to achieve his aims.
There is nothing nice to say about this person imo and certainly nothing to be impressed by.