2024 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

LOWIEV wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:48 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:02 pm
it's so much more than just bashing his rider - he's literally saying his wife has a bad influence on him. that's few bridges to far, if i were Alpha i'd resort to violence lol

Lefevere is starting to lose it completetly with age. he's just one step from shouting at clouds.
To be fair, he's not literally saying that. He said: "Julian ligt onder de sloef". That means: Julian has nothing to say at home, his wife is the boss. That's what he said.

And Patlef has always been like this, from his early ages (remember Boonen, VDB, Musseeuw,...).
I'm not saying it's ok what Patlef said, but it's what he does and did for ages...
which means he's under the influence of his wife. a bad one obviously :wink:

perhaps you're right and he's always been a douche - it's only the standards that have shifted a bit :noidea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Karvalo wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:35 am
Lina wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:20 pm
She was married to Tony Gallopin and was already publicly in a relationship with Alaphilippe two months after having announced that she's separated with Gallopin.
That's not what a homewrecker is. That insult would apply if she'd had an affair with Alaphilippe and broken up his marriage, not her own.

And quite frankly, is this 2024 or 1954? Couples break up all the time, and it doesn't automatically make either of them bad people. A relationship can be dead for any number of reasons long before its demise is made public.
Exactly.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Today's news, unfortunately, is that my avatar and champion of my mother's family's home country, Peter Sagan, is undergoing a heart procedure (ablation) to address a tachycardiac event during a recent ride: his heart rate spiked to 200. (In eerie similarity, I'm seeing a cardiologist this week because my heart rate spiked on a ride, to a lower but not good number.) Good luck Peter, per Cycling Weekly there's a real chance this will fix the problem.
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Lina

by Lina

Another hookless blowout today on the UAE tour with ~95 km left. Taking bets on if we will have a serious injury caused by one before the UCI takes action.

But trust the manufacturers when they're saying that hookless is completely safe. Just ignore all these cases of pro riders with their bikes set up by pro mechanics suffering from blowouts in races.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

The one real danger that the UCI ignores...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Lina wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:17 pm
Another hookless blowout today on the UAE tour with ~95 km left. Taking bets on if we will have a serious injury caused by one before the UCI takes action.

But trust the manufacturers when they're saying that hookless is completely safe. Just ignore all these cases of pro riders with their bikes set up by pro mechanics suffering from blowouts in races.
Who had the blowout? I didn't see it covered on the feed I was watching.

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:08 pm
Lina wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:17 pm

Who had the blowout? I didn't see it covered on the feed I was watching.
Thomas De Gendt. On zipps

garbageman

by garbageman

Image Image
The Eurosport coverage showed a replay of the incident at 53.3km to go (about 49-50 minutes into the coverage with The Breakaway show). It may have been shown as it occurred on the Arabic coverage which shows the entire stage and is available on Youtube. Looks like he ran over something but the view is obscurred. The hookless rim+ air liner combo doesn't seem to have done much good.
You can see the mechanic fitting a Roval Alpinist with Turbo Cotton tire, but it appeared he was back on his team's wheel with a Vittoria tire by the time the Eurosport coverage began - probably switched to a spare bike as there was no race number on it.

EugeneC

by EugeneC

LOWIEV wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:48 pm
And Patlef has always been like this, from his early ages (remember Boonen, VDB, Musseeuw,...).
I'm not saying it's ok what Patlef said, but it's what he does and did for ages...
True. We've heard these stories for years now. And it's definitely not ok. He seems out of touch with time. It's 2024; not the 80's. Stuff like that ruins every workenvironment, not just in sports.

maquisard

by maquisard

Stendhal wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:10 pm
Today's news, unfortunately, is that my avatar and champion of my mother's family's home country, Peter Sagan, is undergoing a heart procedure (ablation) to address a tachycardiac event during a recent ride: his heart rate spiked to 200. (In eerie similarity, I'm seeing a cardiologist this week because my heart rate spiked on a ride, to a lower but not good number.) Good luck Peter, per Cycling Weekly there's a real chance this will fix the problem.
I wish you the best and hope you get a resolution soon. Like Sagan you most likely have atrial fibrilation, something that is very common in endurance ahtletes and which also fortunately is very treatable. Cardiac conditions can be worrying. After contracting Covid-19 in 2022 and not resting enough, I began to suffer from ventricular ectopic beats. Not serious but frightening. Thankfully they resolved with time but it taught me to respect my heart and cardiac health. Well done to you for seeking care from your cardiologist and not simply trying to annoy it and ride on through, Good luck!

Stendhal

by Stendhal

maquisard wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:23 am
Stendhal wrote:
I wish you the best and hope you get a resolution soon. Like Sagan you most likely have atrial fibrilation, something that is very common in endurance ahtletes and which also fortunately is very treatable. Cardiac conditions can be worrying. After contracting Covid-19 in 2022 and not resting enough, I began to suffer from ventricular ectopic beats. Not serious but frightening. Thankfully they resolved with time but it taught me to respect my heart and cardiac health. Well done to you for seeking care from your cardiologist and not simply trying to annoy it and ride on through, Good luck!
Thank you maquisard, that is very kind of you. I've had a heart attack and triple bypass and cycling helped me get back into shape, so fingers crossed I won't have to give it up.
On a happier note, isn't the Tour finishing near your part of France this year due to Paris being tied up with the Olympics? That will be exciting!

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

LOWIEV wrote:it is rumoured he was spotted at a night out DURING the TDF.
That might be why Patlef is so frustrated with him.
Damn, that sounds like Haussler in his prime!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

garbageman wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm
Image Image
The Eurosport coverage showed a replay of the incident at 53.3km to go (about 49-50 minutes into the coverage with The Breakaway show). It may have been shown as it occurred on the Arabic coverage which shows the entire stage and is available on Youtube. Looks like he ran over something but the view is obscurred. The hookless rim+ air liner combo doesn't seem to have done much good.
You can see the mechanic fitting a Roval Alpinist with Turbo Cotton tire, but it appeared he was back on his team's wheel with a Vittoria tire by the time the Eurosport coverage began - probably switched to a spare bike as there was no race number on it.
The eurosport commentators did not seem to know what the air liner was. They thought that had been in the road and that's what Degendt had hit.

maquisard

by maquisard

Stendhal wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:12 am
maquisard wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:23 am
Stendhal wrote:
Thank you maquisard, that is very kind of you. I've had a heart attack and triple bypass and cycling helped me get back into shape, so fingers crossed I won't have to give it up.
On a happier note, isn't the Tour finishing near your part of France this year due to Paris being tied up with the Olympics? That will be exciting!
Sorry, I did not realise you had existing cardiac issues. It is great news that you used cycling to give you strength again and get back into shape. The main thing is that you have sought the help of a cardiologist and not ignored your symptoms. Even if you have to ride at a reduced pace, e-bikes today are wonderful in helping us continue ridering through various health conditions.

I am situated to the west of Grenoble so not so close compared to last year. However I will try to visit south to Barcellonette and the final stages of Nice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spokenwords

by spokenwords

quite a day for Jumbo on all fronts.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.