2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:33 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:16 am
The RCR tested quite well in Tour Magazine, 6.9kg and 207W at 45km/h
with proto cockpit at ~36mm width and 25mm tires but still pretty good

The 36cm bars don't remove that much frontal area from the system since the dummy has no upper body. The only bike tested under 210W with a 28mm front tire was the Cube Litening Aero C:68X. It scored 207W.

If anything holds AG2R back in 2024, it won't be the frame design.

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

pastronef wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:43 pm
Mockenrue wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:55 pm
I can't remember where I read it, but I saw someone somewhere claiming that BORA weren't going to be on Shimano in 2024 so maybe it's them.
nah it was rumor about Bora with Sram in 2024. but that was a false rumor. they keep going with Shimano

Nope, they are going to Sram. I have a friend who has ridden with some Bora riders and they're all on Sram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

Indeed, if (as I understood from the team) VR increased the stiffness since the prototype Tour tested, this bike is on par with the SL8 and ahead of the majority of the rest of WT offering as all rounder.

I "regularly" meet AG2R riders where I ride and their first feedback is super positive compared to the BMC they just left. I hope being able to ride one “soon”.

As for the comment on the open mold and for those who don’t know the size of VR mother company. It’s like 15x times bigger than Specialized (yet spread across many sports), super profitable and with a strong culture of RnD. As side example how good they can be (sharing RnD with other sports), their extreme winter jacket tested on Tour blew all the other ones tested regardless of the price particularly in terms of heat retention.

Omiar

by Omiar

So Ag2r back on Decathlon (van rysel) seems a bit familiar ...

Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

itsacarr

by itsacarr

C36 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:08 am
As for the comment on the open mold and for those who don’t know the size of VR mother company. It’s like 15x times bigger than Specialized (yet spread across many sports), super profitable and with a strong culture of RnD. As side example how good they can be (sharing RnD with other sports), their extreme winter jacket tested on Tour blew all the other ones tested regardless of the price particularly in terms of heat retention.
A lot of folks also don't realize they have Decethlon Digital which is its own company doing software development and data analytics for Decathlon / B2B. Decathlon is definitely an interesting, and large, business.

pastronef

by pastronef

people are even doing Excel files for the VDP vs WVA vs Pidcock races. think about it for a minute. that's a dire situation: and the OTHERS!?? everyone of the other riders should question their own sport. I'd have them racing with a big ? on the jerseys instead of sponsors. I mean wtf

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

pastronef wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:33 pm
people are even doing Excel files for the VDP vs WVA vs Pidcock races. think about it for a minute. that's a dire situation: and the OTHERS!?? everyone of the other riders should question their own sport. I'd have them racing with a big ? on the jerseys instead of sponsors. I mean wtf
Excel files? Of what? Sorry I don't understand what you're on about or implying.

pastronef

by pastronef

dereksmalls wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:50 am
pastronef wrote:
Excel files? Of what? Sorry I don't understand what you're on about or implying.
I was half joking. I saw a few tweets, from experts/journos too, with a layout/table with VDP-WVA-Pidcock and all the X marking who meets who in this or that race. I was on about the focus on those 3, forgetting all the cyclocrossers that make the season go on, from October to February.
if I were a cyclocrosser I would not be that happy to be ignored while everybody is focusing on the 3 "stars". I really wish they didnt race and kept doing road races. or at least I wish VDP didn't race the CX worlds, he does not need another uncontested win

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

pastronef wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:21 am
dereksmalls wrote:
pastronef wrote:
I was half joking. I saw a few tweets, from experts/journos too, with a layout/table with VDP-WVA-Pidcock and all the X marking who meets who in this or that race. I was on about the focus on those 3, forgetting all the cyclocrossers that make the season go on, from October to February.
if I were a cyclocrosser I would not be that happy to be ignored while everybody is focusing on the 3 "stars". I really wish they didnt race and kept doing road races. or at least I wish VDP didn't race the CX worlds, he does not need another uncontested win
The crowds and attention are a lot greater when the Big Two show up at a cross race. You'd think the full time CX riders would be pleased by that. Some of the races I've watched this year have had pretty light spectator attendance. It's surely not good for the riders who make their daily bread on the CX circuit to see dwindling interest.

Finishing a hard fought third, or even a second on a day when one of the Big Two have a bad day, surely has to be better than winning a race that no one cares about?

seaneT1

by seaneT1

pastronef wrote:
dereksmalls wrote:
pastronef wrote:
As a racer, I disagree. If someone shows up out of the blue and destroys me because he is so much better, it's MY PROBLEM. I am the one who has to train and get to his level, that's the point of being an athlete. Judging and penalizing the better athlete so that I could "shine", would make me feel worse as well....

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

pastronef wrote:
dereksmalls wrote:
pastronef wrote:
Got it. Thanks for the clarification

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

pastronef wrote:
This is the perspective of a spectator, not a racer. Unless you have a rabid competitive drive, getting paid to ride a bike and finishing in the top 10 at an elite level is very rewarding and genuinely fun. In this sport more than just the top 3 places matter and get paid. While being a champion is great, being at the pointy end of the field is pretty good too.

chorus88

by chorus88

***delete***
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

Karvalo

by Karvalo

pastronef wrote:
dereksmalls wrote:
pastronef wrote:
The fact that you call it that explains exactly why the journos and fans forget all the other racers.

Roel W

by Roel W

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:23 pm
MisterNoChain wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:17 pm
That's a Merida Reacto with Van Rysel stickers. Every bike looks the same these days :cry:
A) It isn't.
B) As opposed to what days?
As oposed to the 90's:
Johan Musseuw's Paris-Roubaix full suspension bike, Miguel Indurain's Pinarello Espada, Bjarne Riis' throw-away Pinarello tt bike, Jan Ulrich's Pinarello Ttt bikes, Walser tt bikes, Trek Y-Foil road bike, Cervélo P3 (early '00 years), Colango C42 tt-bike, double downtubed Colnago bititan, Spinergy wheels, Giant MCR, Look KG196, C4 Joker, ....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com