2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ave

by ave

Groenewegen should be disqualified for that move, very dangerous.

Bennet wasn't dangerous, but his move is against the rules.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

UCI and rule enforcement, name a worse combination

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

As always they punish the outcomes - break rules, but no crash - you go unpunished.

Cause a crash, even if the infringement is minor, you will be punished heavily.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

ave wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:23 pm

Both were relegated by the UCI commisaires.

outnumbered

by outnumbered

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:29 pm
ave wrote:

Both were relegated by the UCI commisaires.
Deserved.

Sam Bennett just doesn't seem to have any speed at the moment, and simply veering across the road to block the others isn't a good solution.

Groenewegen should know better by now than to shoulder barge people in the last few metres. It's not like he isn't aware of the possible consequences. Feel like he deserves a bigger penalty.

guyc

by guyc

Laporte has quite the finish on him.

Attermann

by Attermann

seems Groenewegen needs a second ban, that was very very dangerous, maybe that guy never learns.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

ave wrote:

Bennet's move was dangerous because it was likely to cause other people to do dangerous things in an effort to escape the jam up he was creating. I see it as worse than Groenewegen's.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lelandjt wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:05 am
ave wrote:

Bennet's move was dangerous because it was likely to cause other people to do dangerous things in an effort to escape the jam up he was creating. I see it as worse than Groenewegen's.

Agreed. Groenewegen had the momentum and got boxed in as a result of a clear line deviation. He was desperately trying to salvage a sprint he otherwise would have won.

However two wrongs don't make a right and he still deserves relegation. There's no easy way to deal with a sequence like this.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Groenewegen is a menace. I fear that guy is going to hurt someone again. Complete blockhead racer. Abdoujaparov 2.0.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:15 am
Lelandjt wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:05 am
ave wrote:

Agreed. Groenewegen had the momentum and got boxed in as a result of a clear line deviation. He was desperately trying to salvage a sprint he otherwise would have won.

However two wrongs don't make a right and he still deserves relegation. There's no easy way to deal with a sequence like this.
Oh, I agree he also needs punishment. He broke a rule and endagered the two guys to his left when he could have accepted there was no legal and safe way to maintain the sprint. I just can't be mad at him cuz he was reacting in the moment to a bad situation caused illeglly by another rider who's line deviation has to be seen as dangerous because of what it could have precipitated behind him. Good catch by the rider who was shouldered hard to the left. He barely dodged the wheel ahead of him.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Miller wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:51 pm
I wouldn't want to be running narrow handlebars on technical off-road - which I guess Unbound mostly is not. On a bike I've lately been using for a chain gang and a few TTs I swapped out a 42cm bar for a cheapo 38cm bar so I could get a feel for the narrow bar thing. Contrary to what that bloke on here was insisting a couple of months back, narrow bars are NOT more controllable than wider bars. As if, lol. The bike is distinctly twitchier. Not a problem on road but as I say not an equipment choice I would make if I had to pick a line through rocks, ruts and roots. But hey, I'm not a pro.
Absolutely right. Wide flared bars aren't stupid just because they're not the best choice for a fast smooth-ish gravel race. They're a just a different tool for different jobs.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Shhhh don't give Specialized any ideas. Next thing they're going to be changing handlebars in the rest stops as well as shoes.

Spirit of gravel lol :roll:

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Karvalo wrote: Absolutely right. Wide flared bars aren't stupid just because they're not the best choice for a fast smooth-ish gravel race. They're a just a different tool for different jobs.
Wide bars don’t give more control, they only make it harder to reach the brakes. Most cx riders these days also have quite narrow bars, MVDP for example runs 40’s on cx.

Wide bars where just a trend with the advantage of being able to fit bar bags etc.

Discodan

by Discodan

I’d have to disagree based on experience on road, gravel, and MTB. A narrow bar is harder to control when a bump kicks it, and harder to accurately steer. it’s just basic physics that if a lever is twice as long (half of a really wide bar) it takes half the force to control it and the bar end will move twice as far so it’s easier to have granular control.

Narrow bars are better for fast, agressive inputs (like a small steering wheel on a sports car) but for gravel you don’t want that. It’s the same reason XC MTB has been moving from 600mm bars to much wider ones over the years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com