2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Stendhal

by Stendhal

maquisard wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:20 pm
No, but good point. Jumbo have announced that they are no longer sponsoring Max Verstappen and other motorsport. I assume they will reduce or cut sponsorship in the cycling and skating teams as well. However I also believe that Visma have said they will become the main sponsor so I doubt the team is about to implode.
You are correct, Jumbo is exiting cycling (and speed skating too). Its new CEO was quoted, "we've won everything there is to win."
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

PeytonM

by PeytonM

I'm not across the pay/prize money for the women's giro, but with an exiting promoter it's probably not good however,
I remember either last year or 21' a women's classic promoter was criticized for similar poor prize money verse the men's race, but they posted a detailed reply. Basically they were paying the teams substantial appearance fee's (I don't remember numbers but let's say 5x the prize for 1st) and provided 5 or 6 one day races over a 3 week block.

Maybe paying appearance fees is a better model to grow women's cycling, keeping more teams viable and spreading the limited money across more riders?

Just saying there could be more to the story, but probably not with exiting promoter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Willier

by Willier

A new BMC aero frame looks like it will debut at Dauphine. I have seen an IG story of it being built with new campagnolo groupset

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Ill be keeping my current TM01R
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

ichobi

by ichobi

Anybody know whats the deal with specialized sponsored team? If you look carefully it seems they all run turbo cotton tires, all the time, everywhere. If it’s cobble races they run the hell of the north 28mm version but still the same turbo cotton released half a decade ago.

Grant these are very good tires, in fact one the best (for me) which only superseded by the allround-ness of the Vittoria Corsa Pro (which according to aerocoach, is still slower than the turbo cotton).

Meanwhile specialized have released loads of new performance tires, mostly for tubeless set up which claims as fast as the turbo cotton yet the team is not really interested in running the new tires or tubeless set up.

Or is this about the roval wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Anyone else notice how narrow Keegan's bars were at Unbound? No more super wide, extra flared bars in gravel!

robbosmans

by robbosmans

The “racers” never rode with those stupid wide gravel bars.

maquisard

by maquisard

Steven Kruijswijk out of the TdF after a crash in the Critérium du Dauphiné. He must be one of the most unlikely guys out there - great rider and key team member for Vingegaard. I guess Kelderman is first reserve... although maybe Roglic might be in the TdF after all.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

maquisard wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:30 pm
Steven Kruijswijk out of the TdF after a crash in the Critérium du Dauphiné. He must be one of the most unlikely guys out there - great rider and key team member for Vingegaard. I guess Kelderman is first reserve... although maybe Roglic might be in the TdF after all.
At his age, a broken pelvis - if it's a bad break - could be a career ender.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

robbosmans wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:51 pm
The “racers” never rode with those stupid wide gravel bars.
Okay, but these look like 38cm. Compare them to the 2nd place rider's bars.

robeambro

by robeambro

As always we should be wary of drawing conclusions based on limited data. It's the usual confirmation bias galore.

Some riders in the top 6-7 (can't remember whether the lead group was of six or seven) had wide bars, some had narrow bars. Some were riding bikes with suspension (e.g. Ten Dam had the STR), some weren't. Some went for relatively skinny 40mm tyres, some had big tyres (e.g. Morton was running a differentiated profile with a huge MTB-style front tyre). Some went for relatively slick tyres, some went for bigger knobs. Some went as aero as possible everywhere, for others aero was an afterthought.

Unlike road, there is clearly no convergence yet on what's "ideal" equipment. Most likely pro riders will select equipment based on their strengths and weaknesses rather than what's "objectively" better.

Miller

by Miller

I wouldn't want to be running narrow handlebars on technical off-road - which I guess Unbound mostly is not. On a bike I've lately been using for a chain gang and a few TTs I swapped out a 42cm bar for a cheapo 38cm bar so I could get a feel for the narrow bar thing. Contrary to what that bloke on here was insisting a couple of months back, narrow bars are NOT more controllable than wider bars. As if, lol. The bike is distinctly twitchier. Not a problem on road but as I say not an equipment choice I would make if I had to pick a line through rocks, ruts and roots. But hey, I'm not a pro.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Bennett should be disqualified for that move, very dangerous.