Places you've been really wanting to visit to cycle?

Traveling with a bike. Bike Box reviews. Bike travel hacks. Organized Bike Events, Gran Fondos, and Cycling Destinations. Self-Promotion of upcoming events welcome.

Moderator: robbosmans

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

What's your bucket list?

For me, I've been really wanting to go to Girona.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

My god. I didn't see this thread and literally just posted about my visit to Girona. YOU. MUST. GO. PM me if you have any questions.

I REALLY wanna go to Andorra and Switzerland as well. I've been to Geneva for 2 weeks but it was strictly a tourism type visit. Only riding I've done there was when we hopped into France and we rode e-bikes around Lake Annecy. It was beautiful but I really wanna take a bike to Switzerland in 2024.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I'd love to go ride the furka pass in Switzerland. No particular reason other than the photos I've seen look absolutely magical and I've never been to Switzerland before. (Who doesn't love a swiss choccie with a espresso)ImageImage

Basso Diamante rim Campagnolo EPS 12 Bora WTO 60's

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I've been lucky enough to travel about a fair bit, esp before the interweb made finding stuff out so much easier, but there's still a few places on my to do list; South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan all look amazing, and although i've been to Kyrgyzstan twice, i've not ridden my bike there yet. Be good to get the mtb out into the Tian Shen mountains.

I've also been to Mallorca. Once before it was popular, and again when unfortunately it had been taken over by bloody cyclists, all seemingly with no imagination and it was an original idea ;)
Give me somewhere different away from the hordes. It deosnt have to be a great riding experience, its the whole trip that remains in the memory.
Official cafe stop tester

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Without already derailing this thread Im just a huge fan of people rather than places.. on Instagram especially it's been so interesting seeing groups from around the world riding roads and areas that look so different to my local Surrey hills.. So I'm really hoping over the next few years to get away to some different places to ride and open my eyes more to groups around the world.

gurk700

by gurk700

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:51 am
Without already derailing this thread Im just a huge fan of people rather than places.. on Instagram especially it's been so interesting seeing groups from around the world riding roads and areas that look so different to my local Surrey hills.. So I'm really hoping over the next few years to get away to some different places to ride and open my eyes more to groups around the world. Image

Spain is RIGHT THERE man :)

Surrey hills aren't too bad either though!
I live couple months out of the year in London and I've really enjoyed riding in that area.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Haha the classic box hill shot.. did U ever do the denbies vineyard climb?

gurk700

by gurk700

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:44 pm
Haha the classic box hill shot.. did U ever do the denbies vineyard climb?

Sadly only Box Hill haha. My ride to box hill and back was 3 hours 30 mins so only did it 2-3 times and all the other ones seemed just outside the reach with the time I had.
Mostly rode Richmond Park laps when I've been there like... everybody else I guess lol.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Next on my List for 2024 is Algarve Coast in Portugal in March and also Tenerife in the winter of 2024. I'll likely head back to Girona again in April for atleast 10 days.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

gurk700

by gurk700

skinnybex wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:00 pm
Next on my List for 2024 is Algarve Coast in Portugal in March and also Tenerife in the winter of 2024. I'll likely head back to Girona again in April for atleast 10 days.
LOL we might end up there at the same time (Portugal). Nothing's set in stone but I wanna do a earlier in the year visit to Portugal then Switzerland late spring / early summer.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

gurk700 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:13 am
skinnybex wrote:
LOL we might end up there at the same time (Portugal). Nothing's set in stone but I wanna do a earlier in the year visit to Portugal then Switzerland late spring / early summer.
My job is currently March 2-8 in Lisbon and then likely head to Tavira or Lagos on March 9-19. If you find those days match hit me up and I'd be happy to ride some. I'll likely take my Caledonia 5 as thats my travel bike that I keep insurance on year round.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

gurk700

by gurk700

skinnybex wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:39 am
gurk700 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:13 am
skinnybex wrote:
My job is currently March 2-8 in Lisbon and then likely head to Tavira or Lagos on March 9-19. If you find those days match hit me up and I'd be happy to ride some. I'll likely take my Caledonia 5 as thats my travel bike that I keep insurance on year round.
Nice. Yeah I'll let u know if anything solidifies. Our plans are always changing nowadays with life in two continents lol

Emerald102

by Emerald102

Chile is totally on my cycling bucket list! The beautiful landscapes, different climates, and awesome routes make it my dream destination. I've heard and read awesome stuff about cycling in Chile. One of the things I came across was this article with some cool stats. You might wanna check it out too! https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in ... guide-5558 Hoipefully, next year my dream will come true *finger crossed* Happy cycling! 🚴‍♂️🌄

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

gurk700 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:31 am
My god. I didn't see this thread and literally just posted about my visit to Girona. YOU. MUST. GO. PM me if you have any questions.

I REALLY wanna go to Andorra and Switzerland as well. I've been to Geneva for 2 weeks but it was strictly a tourism type visit. Only riding I've done there was when we hopped into France and we rode e-bikes around Lake Annecy. It was beautiful but I really wanna take a bike to Switzerland in 2024.
I'm haunting you gurk! I did a good bit of riding in Andorra this summer (on the way from Girona to Pau as it happens). Not to my liking for a few reasons. The road network is pretty limited. There are a few side climbs that are steep and quiet, but the majority are pretty main roads with surprising amounts of cars. It is surprising that so many pros make their homes there - I guess it's a tax haven? We saw a good portion of the UAE team and a few Quickstep guys riding. The place itself is one big ski resort, and like so many ski resorts it lacks history, soul and classic Euro charm. I assume it's expensive but I wasn't paying so can't really say.

Switzerland? Just check out Kingtom's posts in the "on the road" thread. For the riding, some places may be its equal, but none are better IMO. And not just the famous cols, the whole damn country from river valleys to snow capped peaks is a perfectly manicured park. Even the most minor half lane farm roads are often serpentine ribbons of pristine tarmac. Worth a special effort to put in a couple of thousand kms on the bike there, and by special effort I mean expense - it is shockingly expensive. But quality costs.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

maxim809 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:24 am
What's your bucket list?

For me, I've been really wanting to go to Girona.
I'm just getting started with bike holidays so my bucket list is everything and too long. That said, I'm going to Mallorca in March and the French Alps next August. I haven't planned 2025 yet but likely Italy and Switzerland.

So far I know I need to ride Sa Calobra in Mallorca and Huez, Ventoux, and Galibier for my France trip. If anyone has particular must see routes or climbs to recommend, let me know and I'll plan them into my trip. I'm doing 3 weeks in each location.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com