Costa Brava for a Month - Suggestions?

Traveling with a bike. Bike Box reviews. Bike travel hacks. Organized Bike Events, Gran Fondos, and Cycling Destinations. Self-Promotion of upcoming events welcome.

Moderator: robbosmans

justonwo

by justonwo

All, my family and I will be staying in an apartment in Tossa de Mar in June. I will be training pretty heavily for a September event so need to put on quite a few miles. A few questions:

1) Should I take my road or gravel bike? Since this is something of a road biking Mecca, my instinct is to bring my road bike.

2) Do you guys have any favorite routes/rides you can suggest? Or a good website that suggests rides for the area?

Thanks in advance!
2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diecast

by diecast

I spent a week in Tossa last September and loved it, although as I only ride road I'm not really qualified to answer your first question. I did inadvertently do a few kms of gravel and it was pretty tame, but I've absolutely no idea if that's representative of the area. Also, I mostly laid on the beach and ate ice cream.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with something more constructive. I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever bike you decide to take.

The people in the Tossa Cycling bike shop were great, very friendly, I'm sure they'd help with routes. (In addition to Strava, Komoot etc etc.) Out to the hermitage along the coast road and back via Llagostera is short but scenic. 45km, 800m. I also did one big day out to Bunyola and Rocacorba in 30+ degrees C... and whoever stocks that roadside fridge on Rocacorba... you're a life saver!!

-

Edit: Mods, this should probably be moved to the travel thread

justonwo

by justonwo

diecast wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:59 pm
I spent a week in Tossa last September and loved it, although as I only ride road I'm not really qualified to answer your first question. I did inadvertently do a few kms of gravel and it was pretty tame, but I've absolutely no idea if that's representative of the area. Also, I mostly laid on the beach and ate ice cream.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with something more constructive. I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever bike you decide to take.

The people in the Tossa Cycling bike shop were great, very friendly, I'm sure they'd help with routes. (In addition to Strava, Komoot etc etc.) Out to the hermitage along the coast road and back via Llagostera is short but scenic. 45km, 800m. I also did one big day out to Bunyola and Rocacorba in 30+ degrees C... and whoever stocks that roadside fridge on Rocacorba... you're a life saver!!

-

Edit: Mods, this should probably be moved to the travel thread
Sounds like Tossa should be awesome! Can't wait.
2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

SapphireSphinx

by SapphireSphinx

Since you'll be training hard, I'd lean towards bringing your road bike, especially with the area being a road biking hotspot. As for routes, you're in for a treat! Check out the coastal roads for breathtaking views and challenging climbs. For specific routes, definitely give Strava a peek; it's a treasure trove of local favorites.