Places you've been really wanting to visit to cycle?

Traveling with a bike. Bike Box reviews. Bike travel hacks. Organized Bike Events, Gran Fondos, and Cycling Destinations. Self-Promotion of upcoming events welcome.

Moderator: robbosmans

gurk700

by gurk700

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:48 am
gurk700 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:31 am
My god. I didn't see this thread and literally just posted about my visit to Girona. YOU. MUST. GO. PM me if you have any questions.

I REALLY wanna go to Andorra and Switzerland as well. I've been to Geneva for 2 weeks but it was strictly a tourism type visit. Only riding I've done there was when we hopped into France and we rode e-bikes around Lake Annecy. It was beautiful but I really wanna take a bike to Switzerland in 2024.
I'm haunting you gurk! I did a good bit of riding in Andorra this summer (on the way from Girona to Pau as it happens). Not to my liking for a few reasons. The road network is pretty limited. There are a few side climbs that are steep and quiet, but the majority are pretty main roads with surprising amounts of cars. It is surprising that so many pros make their homes there - I guess it's a tax haven? We saw a good portion of the UAE team and a few Quickstep guys riding. The place itself is one big ski resort, and like so many ski resorts it lacks history, soul and classic Euro charm. I assume it's expensive but I wasn't paying so can't really say.

Switzerland? Just check out Kingtom's posts in the "on the road" thread. For the riding, some places may be its equal, but none are better IMO. And not just the famous cols, the whole damn country from river valleys to snow capped peaks is a perfectly manicured park. Even the most minor half lane farm roads are often serpentine ribbons of pristine tarmac. Worth a special effort to put in a couple of thousand kms on the bike there, and by special effort I mean expense - it is shockingly expensive. But quality costs.
Yeah the trips to Andorra and Switzerland would just be that though. A week of climbing things they have on offer. Livingwise, I know how tough it is from a friend who's lived there for years now and has two kids. Sheeeesh.. He's a finance person (ofcourse...) and it seems like it's the only way he's affording a good life lol.

I kinda knew that about Andorra. All MotoGP athletes live there too. It is indeed because it's a tax haven, shopping center and a ski resort. Everything a rich person may want. I'm more into those 2 places because of how beautiful they look. Would love to just enjoy riding there I think in spring, summer. Otherwise, give me the historic warm southern parts all day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SapphireSphinx

by SapphireSphinx

Pacific Coast Highway in California

Konsi

by Konsi

gurk700 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:48 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:48 am
gurk700 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:31 am
My god. I didn't see this thread and literally just posted about my visit to Girona. YOU. MUST. GO. PM me if you have any questions.

I REALLY wanna go to Andorra and Switzerland as well. I've been to Geneva for 2 weeks but it was strictly a tourism type visit. Only riding I've done there was when we hopped into France and we rode e-bikes around Lake Annecy. It was beautiful but I really wanna take a bike to Switzerland in 2024.
I'm haunting you gurk! I did a good bit of riding in Andorra this summer (on the way from Girona to Pau as it happens). Not to my liking for a few reasons. The road network is pretty limited. There are a few side climbs that are steep and quiet, but the majority are pretty main roads with surprising amounts of cars. It is surprising that so many pros make their homes there - I guess it's a tax haven? We saw a good portion of the UAE team and a few Quickstep guys riding. The place itself is one big ski resort, and like so many ski resorts it lacks history, soul and classic Euro charm. I assume it's expensive but I wasn't paying so can't really say.

Switzerland? Just check out Kingtom's posts in the "on the road" thread. For the riding, some places may be its equal, but none are better IMO. And not just the famous cols, the whole damn country from river valleys to snow capped peaks is a perfectly manicured park. Even the most minor half lane farm roads are often serpentine ribbons of pristine tarmac. Worth a special effort to put in a couple of thousand kms on the bike there, and by special effort I mean expense - it is shockingly expensive. But quality costs.
Yeah the trips to Andorra and Switzerland would just be that though. A week of climbing things they have on offer. Livingwise, I know how tough it is from a friend who's lived there for years now and has two kids. Sheeeesh.. He's a finance person (ofcourse...) and it seems like it's the only way he's affording a good life lol.

I kinda knew that about Andorra. All MotoGP athletes live there too. It is indeed because it's a tax haven, shopping center and a ski resort. Everything a rich person may want. I'm more into those 2 places because of how beautiful they look. Would love to just enjoy riding there I think in spring, summer. Otherwise, give me the historic warm southern parts all day.
Let me know if you need pointers or routes for the Swiss alps! Or check out bcycletinferno.ch for many bucket list climbs in two days (and send me a PM, I can give you some percent discount for a fellow WW)

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

I did Mallorca three times last year and off again for two weeks in April.

While I love the novelty of new places, I just find Mallorca perfect for cycling, it's been hard to pick somewhere else.

That said, Girona is one I want to tick off this year.

The big one is the alps and Switzerland, I'd like to tour the classic climbs, but want to drop some weight before I do.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I am running out of destinations in Western Europe. I might have to broaden my horizons for bike trips. But before I do, I really want to ride Galicia, but I can't seem to find any serious companies doing supported epic trips there.

I also want to go back to Central Italy (Apennines). Basically the spine of Italy from south of Tuscany to the bottom of Abruzzo. I logged over 2000 km there during 10 days in 2019, but the first 7 were non-stop rain and fog, never saw a thing. The place is empty. It makes the quietest corners of the Pyrenees look like Alpe D'Huez during the Tour. Many spots have an abandoned, forgotten feeling about them - almost spooky. The earthquake zone, Amatrice, etc. is strange and hearbreaking. But same problem - nobody goes there, perhaps for good reason. The riding is the most adventurous I have encountered. The Gran Sasso is a mindbending place (last photo).
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

pushpush

by pushpush

Riding all around Maui was a bucket list for me. I ran out of time on that trip and didn't have a chance to climb Haleakala, but I'll do that next trip.

Riding the loop around Lake Tahoe was also a bucket list ride for me.

I would really like to ride through New Zealand but I haven't made it there yet.

SapphireSphinx

by SapphireSphinx

South Korea has been on my list of places to visit for some time. This country with its varied scenery, like busy cities and peaceful rural areas, provides excellent chances for biking adventures. Furthermore, the facilities for bike riders are excellent, including special paths for bicycles and beautiful ways to see the sights. I found this website https://gowithguide.com/korea and people have told me positive stories about visiting cities such as Seoul and Busan or seeing Jeju Island's lovely rural areas by bicycle. :thumbup:

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

I've always pondered the idea of visiting the South Island of New Zealand as I imagine there is more climbing around there than here in Australia. But onroad not gravel/offroad. Can it be done?🤔

Honestly there does not seem to be that much information for this day and age really. 😕