Helmet fit similar to Giro

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
liam7020

by liam7020

I'm overdue a new road by about 5 years (!) and as a long time Giro user I automatically thought I would go down that route again but their current range isn't really lighting my candle - either way too expensive or I'm not fussed on the aesthetics. The slightly ovalized Giro fit does suit my noggin and whilst in the past I've tried other brands such as Laser, Kask and Salice, none of them fitted quite as well as the Giro.

So can anyone recommended a helmet with a ovalized fit similar to Giro? From an aesthetic and features perspective I quite like the look of the MET Rivale MIPS, ABUS Airbreaker and the Rudy Project Egos but not sure how they fit. Any "heads up" would be appreciated!!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I know you're looking for something other than a Giro helmet, but I recently returned to Giro after using a POC Ventral for five years. The new Giro Aries is a phenomemal helmet.

idickers

by idickers

I also found Giro helmets fit my head well. I tried a few others like Kask and they did not fit my head. But MET helmets fit great. I got the Manta, and like the Trenta but it has been out of stock in the size/color combo I was after.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Giro's fit is pretty oval. Specialized is the closest match. MET and Bell are also reasonably close.

My head is 58cm in circumference which is comfortably "medium" in most brands. POC medium helmets are the only ones that really start to squeeze the side of my head.

feynman

by feynman

Oh, man. I'm also in the GiroHead camp it seems. I've been attracted to several other helmets, but Giro seems to always be the most comfortable for me.

I had a POC Tectal somethingorother that fit well, but then went back to Giro on the next iteration. I'm currently wearing the much maligned Manifest, and it's extremely comfortable and breezy...I love it.

Following with interest, but I bet I'll get a Giro again next time. I once had to use their crash replacement program, and they were quick and responsive with the help, so I appreciate their service too.

voicycle

by voicycle

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:04 am
Giro's fit is pretty oval. Specialized is the closest match. MET and Bell are also reasonably close.

My head is 58cm in circumference which is comfortably "medium" in most brands. POC medium helmets are the only ones that really start to squeeze the side of my head.
Interesting to hear that MET should be close. I had to stop wearing my Manta because it would only fit really far back on my head, and even then it wasn't great. I'm a perfect match for Giro and Specialized though. No experience with Bell.

Might have to try on a different MET next time I see one in a shop. Maybe a fluke of that particular v1 Manta design? I've no need of any more helmets at the moment so would be pure curiosity...

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:04 am
Giro's fit is pretty oval.
I have come to realize that of late, too, and understand how unusual that is. I used Giro helmets from 2016 to 2018 when I got a pair of POC Ventral helmets. They were fine for the five years I used them but decided to give the Giro Aries a try this summer.

When I was trying on the Aries, I noticed how much snugger it felt on my head. It wasn't a tightness so much as a feeling that it was securely attached to my head. I tried but couldn't pull it up off my head once I had it adjusted and fastened as I would when riding. I did the same with the POC Ventral, fastened as if I was riding, and I could pull the helmet right off my head! Yikes. I even tightened down the Ventral beyond where I would be comfortable riding and I could still, quite easily, pull it right off my head.

I think the Giro fit, and their superior RocLoc occipital lobe retention system, are the factors that secure a Giro to my head that much better.

Food for thought. Go with a helmet that fits your head the best.

by 208

I have a small oval head. I have a Giro Syntax and Trek Ballista and both fit similarly, both very well and comfortable. Both in size small.

I tried the Giro Agilis at the same time I bought the Syntax, which didn't fit as well as the Syntax for whatever reason.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

Thanks for all the comments guys. In the end I played the shot I knew, picking up a Giro Helios Spherical Mips for a reasonable price and of course it fits like a glove on my oval napper! Maybe try something different next time round....
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen