Third party replacement Oakley lenses

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
pushpush

by pushpush

Does anyone have experience with the cheap replacement lenses? I see tons of them. Do any of them perform acceptably? I'm struggling to rationalize 80 bucks for a dollar of plastic.

kervelo

by kervelo

No experiences, but I am pretty sure the quality of the cheap knock-offs is not the same as the original Prizm lenses.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GaBa

by GaBa

I just bought two replacement lenses for Jawbones, at 50-58€ (prizm low light and prizm black) they seem reasonably priced and I would not think for a moment to buy knock offs.

Cranzai

by Cranzai

Good question, would be interesting to know what experiences people have.
This summer I bought a pair of Oakley Sutro S, wonderful glasses, absolutely love them.
However, I find that the prizm sapphire can be rather dark with the current daylight.
Hence, I would be interested in buying a clear lens (or photochromic) but Oakley does not offer these options for Sutro S...

Spotted these on amazon but no idea about the quality.:
https://www.amazon.nl/Compatibele-verva ... uage=en_GB

pushpush

by pushpush

A lens is a piece of plastic with some coatings sprayed on it, most likely while under vacuum. It doesn't warrant the $80 price tag.

Optically in terms of clarity, I have multiple pairs of glasses that were <$20 that are just fine. I'm mostly wondering about the quality of the coatings.

I guess I'll just try a couple and find out.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Don't have to overthink it, original Oakley lenses have the shittiest quality in terms of coating longevity so save yourself 70% of that cost and get something cheap. I speak from experience as someone who used it for a decade before the quality went to shit.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

kytyree

by kytyree

I've replaced a few of mine with ones from Revant and I think they work pretty good for the price. They're better than scratched or damaged Oakley lenses or not using a perfectly good frame that just needs lenses.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

pushpush wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:52 am
Does anyone have experience with the cheap replacement lenses? I see tons of them. Do any of them perform acceptably? I'm struggling to rationalize 80 bucks for a dollar of plastic.
One way to look at it is a shiny bit of plastic, but a good curved lens is hard to make. Im not talking about normal sunglasses (base 4 curve), but wrap around ones take some engineering. If you get a cheaper ones, they're going to be pretty wavey off center. The coatings are another difference - the Oakley ones are going to be a lot more durable lenses and the oil-phobic coating will last a lot longer (basically more difficult to apply coatings). The Oakley ones are either PolyCarb or Trivex lenses, which is a lot tougher than plastic.
Anyway, don't spend too little. The Fuse and Revant lenes are probably the way to go. For the lenses with the AR and Oil-phobic coatings, you're probably at $60, so it might be worth the $80 for the known quality lenses.

pushpush

by pushpush

I will checkout Fuse and Revant. Thank you!

nickf

by nickf

Kayrehn wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:36 pm
Don't have to overthink it, original Oakley lenses have the shittiest quality in terms of coating longevity so save yourself 70% of that cost and get something cheap. I speak from experience as someone who used it for a decade before the quality went to shit.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
This. My Oakley lenses never last. I'm done spending $150 on cheap plastic. Been using the Tifosi Vogel SL. At $40 a pop I don't cringe when I drop them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com