Le Col thread

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
jasonbrim

by jasonbrim

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:52 pm
I would like to know how many watts they save. Le Col doesn't make any particular claims.
They have figures under the "key features" for the speedsuit/skinsuit and the SS jersey, but it just raises more questions. The SS jersey says "6Watt savings at 40KPH vs World Tour SS Jersey". Which basically means nothing... Then for the speedsuit/skinsuit, one has figures for 35 km/h, the other for 55 km/h. I guess they got better results at different speeds for each. Does that mean one is slower at 35 km/h?

Would be nice to know how it all compares to other things in their own collection, like the normal aero jersey. Or release information for all of the above speeds. Difference in 35 km/h and 55 km/h is a lot - not many people are gonna go at 55 km/h, even on a club 10...(or are they?!)

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

jasonbrim wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:40 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:52 pm
I would like to know how many watts they save. Le Col doesn't make any particular claims.
They have figures under the "key features" for the speedsuit/skinsuit and the SS jersey, but it just raises more questions. The SS jersey says "6Watt savings at 40KPH vs World Tour SS Jersey". Which basically means nothing... Then for the speedsuit/skinsuit, one has figures for 35 km/h, the other for 55 km/h. I guess they got better results at different speeds for each. Does that mean one is slower at 35 km/h?

Would be nice to know how it all compares to other things in their own collection, like the normal aero jersey. Or release information for all of the above speeds. Difference in 35 km/h and 55 km/h is a lot - not many people are gonna go at 55 km/h, even on a club 10...(or are they?!)
I think it means how much faster it is than the fastest World Tour jersey, but that's probably to be taken with a pinch of salt. I heard someone mention that the short sleeve suit is more for regular riding so it's made to also work well on lower speeds. While the long sleeve is for really fast tempo rides and racing. Seems to be right since the short sleeve has pockets and the LS only has a number slot.

They also said that the Mclaren stuff is made to hold up better and is not as delicate as some other aero stuff. That definitely seems right from what I can tell. It seems very sturdy. This was from some kind of interview I've seen.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I just got the pro bibs and Parkinsons Aero Jersey. The bibs fit me perfectly but I have to say they are the biggest small size bibs I tried, and definitely the longest, which is good.

The Shimano S Phyre bibs were way too tight in S, couldn't move in them. Nalini also pretty tight in S but usable. Castelli Free Aero Race 4 are tighter in M than Le Col in S.

Another thing about the bibs. The upper part covers alot of your upper body, it's almost like wearing a base layer. The straps are so wide and at the back, the material goes all the way up half of my back. I read somewhere that is because it's meant to be worn with short race fit jerseys. I have had that issue that part of my stomach was showing with short jerseys in the past. But it could be too hot if you have them overlapping with a jersey in summer.

The jersey also fits me great. It is actually thinner than the Mclaren LS. The grooves are definitely deeper and more pronounced on the Mclaren as well. I don't know it the short sleeve Mclaren is the same though.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

I've acquired a few Le Col bits over the last year through Strava promotions. Overall, it's probably my favourite brand, taking everything into account. It's all very nicely made, stylish without being loud, the size M fits me perfectly, and the Pro Air jerseys are perfect for summer riding. I think Rapha maybe edges it in absolute quality, especially for winter stuff, but I'm always between an M and an L in Rapha, and with the discounts, the Le Col prices work out more reasonable.

milanv

by milanv

Yes, many pieces are overpriced, but with Strava discounts are even more interesting and closer to another brands. The reality is, that I am a Le Col fan, have bought a lot, spent....

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I just want to add some updates. As I have bought a ton from them since this summer when I discovered LeCol. The prices are many times a third of other top brands when on sale plus the discount. I got two pairs of Pro bibs for 60 euros each.

One thing I have to note though. I have had issues with their SS aero jerseys. They seem to almost always be too wide in the neck area. Some less and some more. All other garments have been fine but aero jerseys only seem inconsistent size wise. Mainly neck area but once, even the arm grippers were to loose.

I am 65kg and 180-182 tall. I'm getting everything in small, and like I said before, they seem to run big compared to alot of other brands.

I am happy with the stuff overall though and the customer support has been great.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

unclearv

by unclearv

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Castelli Free Aero Race 4 are tighter in M than Le Col in S.
Same experience here: Castelli Free Aero Race 4 M = Le Col Pro Bib XS

Wish I saw this comment before trying to deduct from thousands off reviews before ordering. In the end it was a coin toss but I lucked out with the XS.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Bought Hors bib shorts from black friday sale for half price. First and probably last product from Le Col.

Quality is poor with loose stitches and everything feels a little bit cheap. The braces are strangely loose/long on M-size for a 178 cm rider. I would be mad if I had paid 200€ RRP for these. Paid less than 100 € and would have returned if I had been more attentive before the test ride.

For example, for the same money La Passion bib shorts from sale (~100 €) have much better value and quality.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Kumppa wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:16 pm
Bought Hors bib shorts from black friday sale for half price. First and probably last product from Le Col.

Quality is poor with loose stitches and everything feels a little bit cheap. The braces are strangely loose/long on M-size for a 178 cm rider. I would be mad if I had paid 200€ RRP for these. Paid less than 100 € and would have returned if I had been more attentive before the test ride.

For example, for the same money La Passion bib shorts from sale (~100 €) have much better value and quality.
Did you not use a Strava code though? 60 euros is almost half of 100 which you are comparing to. And Strava codes are readily available. I made around 15 orders and not a single one was without a code.

From the 15+ items I have got from them, I don't see anything wrong in terms of quality, loose stitching and so on. The sizing in the neck area on some of the aero jerseys is the only problem I encountered. I just talked to them about it and they took it back free of charge. It might also be that my neck is not very thick, as I don't see anyone else talking about it.

Actually quality wise, it seems like their stuff is pretty sturdy and well made. I have a pair of their Wahoo bibs which I use and wash pretty much every single day and I don't see any issues at all.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

unclearv

by unclearv

unclearv wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:41 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Castelli Free Aero Race 4 are tighter in M than Le Col in S.
Same experience here: Castelli Free Aero Race 4 M = Le Col Pro Bib XS

Wish I saw this comment before trying to deduct from thousands of reviews before ordering. In the end it was a coin toss but I lucked out with the XS.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:42 pm
Did you not use a Strava code though? 60 euros is almost half of 100 which you are comparing to. And Strava codes are readily available. I made around 15 orders and not a single one was without a code.
No, I didn't have any Strava code back then. Black Friday discount was something like -60% and the final price was 93 €. Tbh this kind of discount percentage makes Le Col look like a very cheap brand. Added couple photos and can't say if this is normal quality or just a bad batch.

As a comparison, just received La Passione prestige bibshorts from sale (105 €, RRP 150 €) which are in the same price range. All the seams seem to be perfect and no complaints about quality. Same thing with Castelli, Santini and Etxeondo bibshorts.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Kumppa wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:29 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:42 pm
No, I didn't have any Strava code back then. Black Friday discount was something like -60% and the final price was 93 €. Tbh this kind of discount percentage makes Le Col look like a very cheap brand. Added couple photos and can't say if this is normal quality or just a bad batch.

As a comparison, just received La Passione prestige bibshorts from sale (105 €, RRP 150 €) which are in the same price range. All the seams seem to be perfect and no complaints about quality. Same thing with Castelli, Santini and Etxeondo bibshorts.

I've got loads of Le Col kit and none of it looks like that. A year or two back I had a pair of 'Pro' bibshorts where some abnormal wear developed on the pad. They had only been used for a few rides, certainly less than 5, but it was a few months between buying them and their first use. No changes in saddle or position, I couldn't explain it.

Disappointed, I contacted Le Col as that should not have occurred after so few rides. I just had to provide the label batch code with photos of the issue and they sent me another brand new pair - no questions asked.

I've contacted their customer service a few times, including yesterday about a code issue, and the staff are always quick to respond and super helpful. I'd definitely contact them about those seams.

Le Col will be selling 000s of each garment and the odd problem is bound to slip through the QC net - I'd give them the opportunity to address it.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Yeah, that doesn't look great. Ir should not be coming undone as on yours and it definitely should not look like that on the outside. You should have taken pictures and pointed it out to Lecol straight away, I'm pretty sure they would have sorted you out.

Having said that. None of my bibs have completely perfect looking stitching on the inside, from Castelli, Assos or Lecol. Still, some have been used for a long time without coming undone or having any issues.

I don't think the codes make them look like a cheap brand. It is a direct to consumer sales brand so I can see why they can afford to give out those kind of discounts. Although their prices minus the 50£ codes is probably where their pricing should really be. At the same time I think that the other top brands also are overpriced by similar amounts on average. I mean seriously, who pays 200 euros for a SS jersey? That's crazy to me regardless of brand.

There are a ton of reviews on their site and you very rarely see bad ones. I realise that I kind of sound like a Lecol rep or something, but realistically I haven't really had these clothes from Lecol for that long, so only a few garments have been used regularly. We'll have to see how they hold up.

They are also made in Italy. I'm not sure how much that says about quality though.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Kumppa

by Kumppa

True, I should have pointed these straight away to Le Col as they were like that straight from the package. I will ask them what they think. Not expecting a new pair after a month from purchase but that's my fault. Though these are ridden like 3 times indoors and less than 5 hour.

micky

by micky

My first and only experience with Le Col has been some custom clothing made for team Wiggins.
My opinion is that it's alright but it's not the quality you'd expect from a brand positioning themselves up with the best.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com