Le Col thread

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

andygravett wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:31 am
I've recently started using some le col gear heritage jersey, mitts and a cap (some strava promotion meant a good discount) I've also got some rapha, cycology and craft gear I'm in a large jersey and the fit is great even with a light compression base layer (in Scotland we don't really do summer), my only niggle so far is the cycle cap it is nice and very lightweight mesh with a peak I've used it twice and after 2nd wash the visor has started to separate at the edge from the main cap :( I've had other cheaper caps do the same, but also have another cycology cap which is much much better. I would also suggest that Rapha are maybe a wee bit better for winter riding and their bib shorts are very comfortable.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
I was also about to get their Pro Air Cap but they didn't have it in white. Seems very good for sun protection but with good ventilation.

Regarding washing, I never wash my caps in the machine as I am under the impression that the hard bit would be ruined like with a normal baseball cap. Maybe it depends on the quality but I only hand wash mine.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milanv

by milanv

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:11 am
andygravett wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:31 am
I've recently started using some le col gear heritage jersey, mitts and a cap (some strava promotion meant a good discount) I've also got some rapha, cycology and craft gear I'm in a large jersey and the fit is great even with a light compression base layer (in Scotland we don't really do summer), my only niggle so far is the cycle cap it is nice and very lightweight mesh with a peak I've used it twice and after 2nd wash the visor has started to separate at the edge from the main cap :( I've had other cheaper caps do the same, but also have another cycology cap which is much much better. I would also suggest that Rapha are maybe a wee bit better for winter riding and their bib shorts are very comfortable.

I was also about to get their Pro Air Cap but they didn't have it in white. Seems very good for sun protection but with good ventilation.

Regarding washing, I never wash my caps in the machine as I am under the impression that the hard bit would be ruined like with a normal baseball cap. Maybe it depends on the quality but I only hand wash mine.
I have many pieces from Le Col, this summer cap is great, light, good quality. As you write, it is better to hand wash it.

There are several items not so great, we can discuss.

andygravett

by andygravett

Yes in hind site hand Washing from now on, but had cheaper cycology one through wash loads not a problem and it is just as lightweight

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I have a Le Col Haute Route cap and don't think it's any better quality than any other cycle caps.

But it says Le Col and Colnago on it and it's Made in Italy, so it must be good! :D

I will hand wash it!!
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

S-Works SL8 Dune White SRAM Red AXS Craft CS5060 wheels Roval Rapide bars 6.6kg

gwilson

by gwilson

I've bought two pairs of bibs from Le Col: the HC Heritage (which I believe are just the 2019 HC shorts rebadged) and the Pro bibs. They are pretty good although by far the biggest of any brand I've owned. I'm normally size L in almost everything (Assos, Rapha, Santini Velocio) or XL in Sportful/Castelli but when I bought the HC bibs in a large they were quite big on me and in retrospect I should've ordered a medium. When I later ordered the Pro bib shorts I asked about sizing in comparison and they say it was a bit tighter than the HC so I ordered in large again. It definitely was a bit tighter, but I'd still say a bigger fit than most other brands. Overall I like them, although I find the stitching is quite large.

johanalexander

by johanalexander

gwilson wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:42 am
I've bought two pairs of bibs from Le Col: the HC Heritage (which I believe are just the 2019 HC shorts rebadged) and the Pro bibs. They are pretty good although by far the biggest of any brand I've owned. I'm normally size L in almost everything (Assos, Rapha, Santini Velocio) or XL in Sportful/Castelli but when I bought the HC bibs in a large they were quite big on me and in retrospect I should've ordered a medium. When I later ordered the Pro bib shorts I asked about sizing in comparison and they say it was a bit tighter than the HC so I ordered in large again. It definitely was a bit tighter, but I'd still say a bigger fit than most other brands. Overall I like them, although I find the stitching is quite large.
This was exactly what I needed to hear upon ordering. Have been debating with myself regarding bib size. My rapha is M.
Eating trash'n riding fast

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I just ordered the Pro Bibs in small.

By the way, watch out for customs charges being asked of you to Europe. I got an email from Dpd saying I need to pay 22 euros on an order. I did it and then later they told me from Le Col that I should have ignored that and they will refund me the amount. So don't pay any customs if you are asked to. I mean talk to customer service first to be sure of course.

I also made an order for a bunch of socks. It's crazy how cheap it becomes with the 60 euros of. I got 6 pairs of socks incl the Mclaren aero ones for only 60 euros.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Lenfaki

by Lenfaki

I have the Le Col thermal bib shorts. The pad is realy thick and dense, but it suits me well. Quality wise not such a fan unfortunately.. I like MAAP better for example. Sizing is also slightly on the larger side I would say.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Just got both packages now. They sent it express without cost because the first time the packages got sent back from customs. So that was nice of them. Both the Pro Air and Mclaren LS seem to fit great in S. It's just that the Pro Air is not as tight around the chest as I thought. It is tight in an upright position but when I am bent forward the chest area is saging down. But it's gonna be great for hot days. The Mclaren seems to be bunching on the sides like seen in the picture but I'm guessing that solves itself when in an aggressive position.

Here are some pics:
DE8A2F7B-24B6-49BE-993A-3AE085DD8D32.jpeg
991FF614-EEFB-4D68-9958-8506DE8DEFC7.jpeg
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Hi Guys, just drifting through the forum as is normal for me during the week and spotted the thread so thought I would drop a post in.

I work for the custom team at Le Col so if you have any questions let me know. I don't do much on the standard side of the business but should be able to help with most questions but anything specific regarding an order you are better going through the CS team!

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Tifosiphil wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:12 pm
Hi Guys, just drifting through the forum as is normal for me during the week and spotted the thread so thought I would drop a post in.

I work for the custom team at Le Col so if you have any questions let me know. I don't do much on the standard side of the business but should be able to help with most questions but anything specific regarding an order you are better going through the CS team!
That's great. I have only gotten my garments a few days ago and am already a fan. Just ordered the Parkinsons Aero Jersey yesterday. I'm guessing there is no difference between all the different print aero jerseys. Maybe this is a stupid question but is the Mclaren Aero Jersey any different than the regular aero jersey? I see that the description is not the same but they seem to look exactly the same. I can't really work out wether Mclaren helped make the regular aero jersey and Le Col is only taking more because of the Mclaren logos and design, or it's somehowe structurally different.

Another thing. The Mclaren LS that I got seems pretty thick. Doesn't say anywhere if it's intended for colder weather or if it's only for aero gains. It can be both of course. I'm guessing the short sleeve Mclaren is the same only with the sewn on extensions. For example, the Castelli Aero Race 6.0 is alot thinner.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:50 pm
Tifosiphil wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:12 pm

That's great. I have only gotten my garments a few days ago and am already a fan. Just ordered the Parkinsons Aero Jersey yesterday. I'm guessing there is no difference between all the different print aero jerseys. Maybe this is a stupid question but is the Mclaren Aero Jersey any different than the regular aero jersey? I see that the description is not the same but they seem to look exactly the same. I can't really work out wether Mclaren helped make the regular aero jersey and Le Col is only taking more because of the Mclaren logos and design, or it's somehowe structurally different.

Another thing. The Mclaren LS that I got seems pretty thick. Doesn't say anywhere if it's intended for colder weather or if it's only for aero gains. It can be both of course. I'm guessing the short sleeve Mclaren is the same only with the sewn on extensions. For example, the Castelli Aero Race 6.0 is alot thinner.
The McClaren Aero jersey is slightly different, mainly the sleeve cuffs, radio pocket in the rear of the jersey and the rubber tab on the back of the pockets (obviously this is just a nice feature, not any benefit from it). If these things aren't important to you than the Aero jersey will perform almost as well.

The McClaren LS jersey is a strange one as I agree with you that the material feels slightly thicker. I think (not official, just my opinion) the thicker material helps create more pronounced trip lines on the body when I wear mine but to be honest where I am in the UK I use it as a mid-weight jersey, around 8-14C, any colder and I switch to an AquaZero and any warmer I am normally in short sleeves because I don't get much chance to work on my cyclist tan!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I guess I can forget Le Col if a size small fits looser than a medium Castelli Aero Race. I seriously doubt an XS jersey would be long enough.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:03 am
I guess I can forget Le Col if a size small fits looser than a medium Castelli Aero Race. I seriously doubt an XS jersey would be long enough.
You should probably try for yourself first. have had that issue on a few jerseys, that they fit a little loose on the chest. It's not sagging that much, I think it just can't fit as tight as the aero jerseys.

Now that I tried the Mclaren again, I feel the fit is pretty much perfect. No wrinkles once I adjusted it properly.

It seems they are about the same length. The Castelli Aero Race in M is 49,3cm, the Le Col Pro Air in S is 49,5cm and the Mclaren in S 49cm. I measured from top to bottom of the zipper.

Here is a pic of me in the Aero Race for reference. You can probably tell it's tighter from the pictures.
D09B1A57-DB68-4C17-89E5-1C4A51C47D0F.jpeg
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Nickldn

by Nickldn

What do you all think of the new McLaren range of aero clothing?

I got the aero socks and they are nice, though not quite as comfy as the plain cycling socks. Are they faster than the plain socks? Who can really tell?

The jerseys and speedsuit look nice, but very pricey. I would like to know how many watts they save. Le Col doesn't make any particular claims.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

S-Works SL8 Dune White SRAM Red AXS Craft CS5060 wheels Roval Rapide bars 6.6kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com