On Rapha autumn/winter apparel

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Skeeleye
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:52 am

by Skeeleye

oreiarias wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:52 pm
Skeeleye wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:45 pm
oreiarias wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:25 pm
On a side note, how does the brand fare size wise?? I'm 1.72m and 70kg and I don't know if I should order M or S size.
I measure basically the same as you (1.72m, 65 kg in summer and around 70kg in winter) and I wear a size small. Difference with the Pro Team line compared to the others is it is cut more closely to the body for a more aero fit. That isn't to say the other stuff is baggy, I wear a small in each different line. What follows after Pro Team (e.x. training, aero, etc.) really does a good job of specifying its use. The aero kit is perfect for racing and shorter (<100km) rides but the smaller pockets don't allow me to carry the extra food/arm warmers/rain jacket as comfortably as a pro team training jersey would.

At 70 kg, I wouldn't really like the way my size small Pro team aero jersey (short sleeve) fits, but it's a summer jersey so when I'm in shape it's actually my favorite bit of kit. The Pro Team training jersey fits perfects regardless of my weight.

I've also had good experiences with customer support when the stitching on my bibs started to come undone. In my case I mailed it in and received it back repaired with a Rapha musette.
We're almost alike but I'm a little bit heavier. Would you go up in size and grab M or it will be too loose regardless of the fit?
Hmm not sure if it would be too loose as I have never even tried on a medium with how well S fits. I would worry a bit about the arm length with an M as well with my body, but yours could be long enough to fit.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



oreiarias
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:12 am

by oreiarias

Skeeleye wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:34 am
oreiarias wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:52 pm
Skeeleye wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:45 pm
oreiarias wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:25 pm
On a side note, how does the brand fare size wise?? I'm 1.72m and 70kg and I don't know if I should order M or S size.
I measure basically the same as you (1.72m, 65 kg in summer and around 70kg in winter) and I wear a size small. Difference with the Pro Team line compared to the others is it is cut more closely to the body for a more aero fit. That isn't to say the other stuff is baggy, I wear a small in each different line. What follows after Pro Team (e.x. training, aero, etc.) really does a good job of specifying its use. The aero kit is perfect for racing and shorter (<100km) rides but the smaller pockets don't allow me to carry the extra food/arm warmers/rain jacket as comfortably as a pro team training jersey would.

At 70 kg, I wouldn't really like the way my size small Pro team aero jersey (short sleeve) fits, but it's a summer jersey so when I'm in shape it's actually my favorite bit of kit. The Pro Team training jersey fits perfects regardless of my weight.

I've also had good experiences with customer support when the stitching on my bibs started to come undone. In my case I mailed it in and received it back repaired with a Rapha musette.
We're almost alike but I'm a little bit heavier. Would you go up in size and grab M or it will be too loose regardless of the fit?
Hmm not sure if it would be too loose as I have never even tried on a medium with how well S fits. I would worry a bit about the arm length with an M as well with my body, but yours could be long enough to fit.
Good point. I'm afraid I'm stuck and my only course would be to buy duplicate products and try them on

Skeeleye
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:52 am

by Skeeleye

Yeah, also not a bad option

Zakalwe
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:15 pm

by Zakalwe

182cm and 70kg, I’m a small in all their tops. Used to be medium for the pro team stuff, but they seem to have gotten bigger in the last few years. I take medium in shorts. Biggest difference I’ve found between the base range and pro team is the cut of the arms, pro team fits nicer in an aggressive position, regular line bunches up in the shoulders and rides up my bicep

User avatar
Konsi
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:34 pm
Location: Genève
Contact:

by Konsi

I am 180cm/68-70kg, and wear mediums in Rapha Bibs and small in the tops. Also happy with the quality and service, except for gloves, had to write them about several pairs this year as the seams came undone. Normally got a new pair within 48 hours.

User avatar
gazzaputt
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:32 pm
Location: Bexley, Kent, UK

by gazzaputt

Used to be a real Rapha fan and was brand loyal for years.

Quality has really slipped and there are better brands that cost less. So much have seams come away, hems unstitched, etc

Nail in the coffin was the 25% off sale earlier in the year. Took months to receive goods. The customer service was appalling.

I use Le Col and Isoles now.

FlatlandClimber
Posts: 2501
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:37 pm

by FlatlandClimber

oreiarias wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:32 am
Additionally, does someone own a Brevet Gilet?
Yes, a few. All gillets are rather lose fitting. Assos fits much tighter, but they have other issues. I use them for warm up and slow days in the winter.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Pistaboy
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:15 pm

by Pistaboy

oreiarias wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:59 am
Hello

Despite not being a weight-centric topic I'd like to ask about experiences with this brand. I've never owened any product and I'd like to buy some for the cooler season in the north of Spain. I don't plan to ride under showers and these products got my attention: a Pro Training Long Sleeve Jersey and a Brevet Gilet. Does anyone know which range of temperatures I'll be able to combine the two? Differences with the Pro Training Aero or Pro Training Jacket temperature wise? Another enquiry, someone ownes a Brevet Jacket? It's supposed to be loose but I don't know if it makes sense to go down that type of fit being somewhat in form. In addition, which websites would you buy from aside from the manufacturer one?

Thanks
What are the average temperatures you are dealing with there in Spain - for the months you are riding?

For transparency, I have a close link to the brand and wear all of their ranges for varying reasons. I mainly ride Pro Team gear, but often switch to a Brevet mix in the winter because of it's versatility. The merino fabrics perform really well in the winter and the pockets are a little more accessible with winter gloves on.

I think in dry conditions, the PT training jacket is one of the best bits of kit Rapha do. The fit is snug, allowing for either a base layer/jersey combo or simply a deep winter base layer. I'm not sure what temps you are experiencing there, but i am sure you will find this jacket useful. I would also recommend the Thermal Jersey, which you could wear on its own with a merino mesh base layer if the temps are mild?

When you ask about the brevet jacket, are you thinking of the insulated version or the windblock?

Pistaboy
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:15 pm

by Pistaboy

If you ride with a jersey stuffed full of food and tools, the brevet gilet (with it's slightly looser cut) is great to wear over the top, and can help to keep everything 'packaged' up and tight to the body. Pro team gilets over the top of stuffed pockets can be restrictive if you don't ride with a saddle bag....

oreiarias
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:12 am

by oreiarias

Pistaboy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:19 pm
oreiarias wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:59 am
Hello

Despite not being a weight-centric topic I'd like to ask about experiences with this brand. I've never owened any product and I'd like to buy some for the cooler season in the north of Spain. I don't plan to ride under showers and these products got my attention: a Pro Training Long Sleeve Jersey and a Brevet Gilet. Does anyone know which range of temperatures I'll be able to combine the two? Differences with the Pro Training Aero or Pro Training Jacket temperature wise? Another enquiry, someone ownes a Brevet Jacket? It's supposed to be loose but I don't know if it makes sense to go down that type of fit being somewhat in form. In addition, which websites would you buy from aside from the manufacturer one?

Thanks
What are the average temperatures you are dealing with there in Spain - for the months you are riding?

For transparency, I have a close link to the brand and wear all of their ranges for varying reasons. I mainly ride Pro Team gear, but often switch to a Brevet mix in the winter because of it's versatility. The merino fabrics perform really well in the winter and the pockets are a little more accessible with winter gloves on.

I think in dry conditions, the PT training jacket is one of the best bits of kit Rapha do. The fit is snug, allowing for either a base layer/jersey combo or simply a deep winter base layer. I'm not sure what temps you are experiencing there, but i am sure you will find this jacket useful. I would also recommend the Thermal Jersey, which you could wear on its own with a merino mesh base layer if the temps are mild?

When you ask about the brevet jacket, are you thinking of the insulated version or the windblock?
In my rides this fall I can encounter anything from 10 to 18 Celsius. Some days down to 5ish or even below but really really odd days. I'm covered for the range 0-5 and looking mostly for the range 12-18. That's why I think the Pro Jacket could be overkill but you have certainly more knowledge than myself. I'm thinking more of combining a Pro Long Sleeve with the Brevet Gilet and play with the base layer. The former is supposed to be too light for colder days but having the flexibility of using the Gilet could do the trick for me in these kind of days.

User avatar
kytyree
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:55 am
Location: US

by kytyree

The Brevet Gilet, I assume you mean the insulated one, should be fine down to 12C. I used it quite a bit last year, over a baselayer, short sleeve jersey with arm warmers or just a long sleeve jersey, in that temperature range. It also keeps working well if it gets wet or sweaty. I intend to keep using it again this year, I repaired the zipper pulls after they broke, which I think is pretty common. You have to use the zipper pulls a fair amount if you want to reach your jersey pockets, but that gilet sold me on good functional double zips for cool to cold weather tops. I would go with your jersey size based off their sizing charts, they're good about returns in my experience, if you want something different.

I think that Gilet and the Cargo bibs are my favortie pieces from the Brevet/Explore line. I use the bibs almost every weekend on my longest rides, comfortable pad and I love having a little extra pocket space. I have the similar Brevet Insulated Jacket, it looks good but I think the Brevet Gilet is a better piece of gear. The sleeves on the jacket don't provide as much function as I want them to and I tend to either wear the Gilet or step up to a warmer jacket.

wolflikeme
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:13 pm
Location: USA

by wolflikeme

Brevet Gilet as well as the long sleeve are great in my experience. Customer service however has been subpar.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

kode54
Posts: 3769
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm

by kode54

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:16 pm
oreiarias wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:32 am
Additionally, does someone own a Brevet Gilet?
Yes, a few. All gillets are rather lose fitting. Assos fits much tighter, but they have other issues. I use them for warm up and slow days in the winter.
Agreed. The only gilet that I like from Rapha are the Pro Team ones. Tighter fitting but still loose in comparisson to Assos. The Fall/Spring Gilet from Assos is my current favorite gilet. Good stretch and tight fitting with no loose arm openings. Center reflective stripe is a bonus.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FlatlandClimber
Posts: 2501
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:37 pm

by FlatlandClimber

kode54 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:41 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:16 pm
oreiarias wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:32 am
Additionally, does someone own a Brevet Gilet?
Yes, a few. All gillets are rather lose fitting. Assos fits much tighter, but they have other issues. I use them for warm up and slow days in the winter.
Agreed. The only gilet that I like from Rapha are the Pro Team ones. Tighter fitting but still loose in comparisson to Assos. The Fall/Spring Gilet from Assos is my current favorite gilet. Good stretch and tight fitting with no loose arm openings. Center reflective stripe is a bonus.
Only problem is, the zip busts open from the bottom when I sprint. Can't really be, that I am too fat... that's what I tell myself.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

kode54
Posts: 3769
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm

by kode54

haha. well, the problem is...there's a lock on the pulll...it should be pointed down at all times to keep it 'locked'
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply