On Rapha autumn/winter apparel

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
oreiarias

by oreiarias

Hello

Despite not being a weight-centric topic I'd like to ask about experiences with this brand. I've never owened any product and I'd like to buy some for the cooler season in the north of Spain. I don't plan to ride under showers and these products got my attention: a Pro Training Long Sleeve Jersey and a Brevet Gilet. Does anyone know which range of temperatures I'll be able to combine the two? Differences with the Pro Training Aero or Pro Training Jacket temperature wise? Another enquiry, someone ownes a Brevet Jacket? It's supposed to be loose but I don't know if it makes sense to go down that type of fit being somewhat in form. In addition, which websites would you buy from aside from the manufacturer one?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Interested in the Brevet stuff myself.
I like the Classic kit and that’s fairly warm, I have a pro team winter jackets that’s great.

On a related note my wife just bought me the Core boba.
After 6 weeks the fabric was pilling a little and a flesh coloured tone appeared on it.
I sent an email to Rapha at 9pm on a Friday night with proof of purchase and some photos and by 9:30pm I had a reply saying new shorts would be dispatched on Monday and to keep the old ones.
Fantastic customer service I though.

As a person who works in customer service for a large hi-end clothing manufacturer myself I was highly impressed by Rapha, I’m a customer for the foreseeable future knowing they provide this kind of service along with great looking and performing kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oreiarias

by oreiarias

tarmackev wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:14 pm
I like the Classic kit and that’s fairly warm, I have a pro team winter jackets that’s great.

After 6 weeks the fabric was pilling a little and a flesh coloured tone appeared on it.
I sent an email to Rapha at 9pm on a Friday night with proof of purchase and some photos and by 9:30pm I had a reply saying new shorts would be dispatched on Monday and to keep the old ones.

As a person who works in customer service for a large hi-end clothing manufacturer myself I was highly impressed by Rapha, I’m a customer for the foreseeable future knowing they provide this kind of service along with great looking and performing kit.

Interesting!

Don't know if the question makes sense, what could be the difference between the Pro line:

- Pro Team Training
- Pro Team Aero
- Pro Team Jacket

As far as the Classic line is concerned, the fabric is supposed to be made from merino so now "new" jersey technology involved, am I right? Given this, how would you rate its sweat management?

oreiarias

by oreiarias

On a side note, how does the brand fare size wise?? I'm 1.72m and 70kg and I don't know if I should order M or S size.

Skeeleye

by Skeeleye

oreiarias wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:25 pm
On a side note, how does the brand fare size wise?? I'm 1.72m and 70kg and I don't know if I should order M or S size.
I measure basically the same as you (1.72m, 65 kg in summer and around 70kg in winter) and I wear a size small. Difference with the Pro Team line compared to the others is it is cut more closely to the body for a more aero fit. That isn't to say the other stuff is baggy, I wear a small in each different line. What follows after Pro Team (e.x. training, aero, etc.) really does a good job of specifying its use. The aero kit is perfect for racing and shorter (<100km) rides but the smaller pockets don't allow me to carry the extra food/arm warmers/rain jacket as comfortably as a pro team training jersey would.

At 70 kg, I wouldn't really like the way my size small Pro team aero jersey (short sleeve) fits, but it's a summer jersey so when I'm in shape it's actually my favorite bit of kit. The Pro Team training jersey fits perfects regardless of my weight.

I've also had good experiences with customer support when the stitching on my bibs started to come undone. In my case I mailed it in and received it back repaired with a Rapha musette.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

oreiarias wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:00 pm
tarmackev wrote:

Interesting!

Don't know if the question makes sense, what could be the difference between the Pro line:

- Pro Team Training
- Pro Team Aero
- Pro Team Jacket

As far as the Classic line is concerned, the fabric is supposed to be made from merino so now "new" jersey technology involved, am I right? Given this, how would you rate its sweat management?
I own all three-

- Pro Team Training-Probably the most versatile of all. Somewher ein between the jacket and aero jersey in terms of warmth and aeroness. I'd put this on 60F for decent paced rides.
- Pro Team Aero-Second skin...you'll feel cold any temp under 55-60F unless u pair it with a base layer or vest (which kind of defeats the purpose)-Mostly for fast group rides. Wouldn't ride it for long solo training/casual rides. I wear this all the time since I like the snug fit. It's a personal choice.
- Pro Team Jacket-Warmest of all. Plenty of wind protection-I can go down all the way down to low 40s paired with a good base layer. Wouldn't wear it if the temp is above 60 or in humid weather. You'll be sweating your a** off. I grab this anytime I look outside and feel like I should be wearing a long sleeve merino base layer.

Dressing up for fall rides is tricky. Many times it's a hit or miss. But I concur with above comment re customer service. They are superb in that department. Good quality+good customer service=Satisfied repeat customer.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

oreiarias

by oreiarias

DCcyclist wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:16 pm
oreiarias wrote:
tarmackev wrote:

Interesting!

- Pro Team Training
- Pro Team Aero
- Pro Team Jacket

I own all three-

- Pro Team Training-Probably the most versatile of all. Somewher ein between the jacket and aero jersey in terms of warmth and aeroness. I'd put this on 60F for decent paced rides.
- Pro Team Aero-Second skin...you'll feel cold any temp under 55-60F unless u pair it with a base layer or vest (which kind of defeats the purpose)-Mostly for fast group rides. Wouldn't ride it for long solo training/casual rides. I wear this all the time since I like the snug fit. It's a personal choice.
- Pro Team Jacket-Warmest of all. Plenty of wind protection-I can go down all the way down to low 40s paired with a good base layer. Wouldn't wear it if the temp is above 60 or in humid weather. You'll be sweating your a** off. I grab this anytime I look outside and feel like I should be wearing a long sleeve merino base layer.

Dressing up for fall rides is tricky. Many times it's a hit or miss. But I concur with above comment re customer service. They are superb in that department. Good quality+good customer service=Satisfied repeat customer.
Much appreciated. Great explanation

Yoln

by Yoln

You'll find lots of answers in the already existing pretty detailed Rapha thread too: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=158526&p=1601806&hi ... a#p1601806
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

oreiarias

by oreiarias

Skeeleye wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:45 pm
oreiarias wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:25 pm
I measure basically the same as you (1.72m, 65 kg in summer and around 70kg in winter) and I wear a size small. Difference with the Pro Team line compared to the others is it is cut more closely to the body for a more aero fit. That isn't to say the other stuff is baggy, I wear a small in each different line. What follows after Pro Team (e.x. training, aero, etc.) really does a good job of specifying its use. The aero kit is perfect for racing and shorter (<100km) rides but the smaller pockets don't allow me to carry the extra food/arm warmers/rain jacket as comfortably as a pro team training jersey would.

At 70 kg, I wouldn't really like the way my size small Pro team aero jersey (short sleeve) fits, but it's a summer jersey so when I'm in shape it's actually my favorite bit of kit. The Pro Team training jersey fits perfects regardless of my weight.

I've also had good experiences with customer support when the stitching on my bibs started to come undone. In my case I mailed it in and received it back repaired with a Rapha musette.
We're almost alike but I'm a little bit heavier. Would you go up in size and grab M or it will be too loose regardless of the fit?

oreiarias

by oreiarias

Additionally, how about the sleeve length? I fear to buy S and being too short or the other way around with M. I've a Gabba in M with sleeves sooo long that I hardly ever put it

alanyu

by alanyu

tarmackev wrote:

Good service. Did you buy rapha directly from their online shop or from a third party, like wiggle?

oreiarias

by oreiarias

DCcyclist wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:16 pm
oreiarias wrote:
tarmackev wrote:

Interesting!

- Pro Team Training
- Pro Team Aero
- Pro Team Jacket

I own all three-

Awesome. And how about the length of the sleeves? Are they long compared with other pieces? I fear going S and being too short or going M and being to long as with the Gabba I've in M.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I am a Rapha/ RCC maniac, and have basically everything they offer. I switched away from Assos, because I was unhappy with their quality, and found most of their designs boring.
Rapha on the Design Side is completely my thing, I like the colors and the designs very much. The quality is good in general, but there are issues, too. Some of the shiny brevet surfaces have washed off in the washing machine, which sucks. Also, some Threads have come lose. I have had that with all premium brands (Castelli, Assos, Isadore) though.
My biggest issue with Rapha is fit. I have a body that makes it not so easy to find fitting clothing in general, but for cycling, I think I am rather "average". I am tall at 6'2.5" and skinny (155lbs) with brought shoulders and super skinny limbs.
For pants I need to go Large, because otherwise the suspenders are too short and feel like cutting off blood flow in my shoulders. The pants itself would fit perfectly in Medium though.
For everything that is not labeled "aero", I need to go Medium in jerseys and jackets. The problem is, they tend to be short around the belly, which I really dislike. However, even their "pro team" stuff in large is too lose everywhere. Baggy on the arms and hanging down from me when I am in a leaning position.
So at least for me, really difficult to find something properly aero.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

oreiarias

by oreiarias

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:38 am
I am a Rapha/ RCC maniac, and have basically everything they offer. I switched away from Assos, because I was unhappy with their quality, and found most of their designs boring.
Rapha on the Design Side is completely my thing, I like the colors and the designs very much. The quality is good in general, but there are issues, too. Some of the shiny brevet surfaces have washed off in the washing machine, which sucks. Also, some Threads have come lose. I have had that with all premium brands (Castelli, Assos, Isadore) though.
My biggest issue with Rapha is fit. I have a body that makes it not so easy to find fitting clothing in general, but for cycling, I think I am rather "average". I am tall at 6'2.5" and skinny (155lbs) with brought shoulders and super skinny limbs.
For pants I need to go Large, because otherwise the suspenders are too short and feel like cutting off blood flow in my shoulders. The pants itself would fit perfectly in Medium though.
For everything that is not labeled "aero", I need to go Medium in jerseys and jackets. The problem is, they tend to be short around the belly, which I really dislike. However, even their "pro team" stuff in large is too lose everywhere. Baggy on the arms and hanging down from me when I am in a leaning position.
So at least for me, really difficult to find something properly aero.
Thanks for keeping the conversation alive. To put things into perspective, I'm 5'7'' and 154lbs. Not skinny but any means but fit (on the heavy side due to being I also like hitting the gym and do some proper weight lifting).

oreiarias

by oreiarias

Additionally, does someone own a Brevet Gilet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com