Is it ever okay to wear team kit?

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

wintershade wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:11 pm
Yes, Halloween.

Would you shoot hoops in your driveway dressed up as your favorite NFL player. Would you show up to your buddies house to watch NFL game dressed up in full pads.
Whats the difference in showing up to your home teams pro football or hockey game wearing the team jersey with the stars name on the jersey...

If wearing a Bora jersey pisses off that many people when I go for a ride, Im gonna wait til fall and go ride in a fur coat just to stir the pot even more!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wintershade

by wintershade

The difference is -- you're wearing no more than a jersey while spectating at an event. It's not like you're running around on the field in full pads.

Wearing team kit on a bike out riding is different in my mind, because you're actually wearing the "pads" (on your ass and hands at least) doing the sport. I don't know, it just feel like it's kind of dorky to me, personally. It doesn't piss me off. It's just... dorky

Wearing the jersey a lone isn't so bad, I do think wearing the full kit (matching bibs, socks, or dear god on one of those "team" paint job bikes) is a kinda dorky. But hey, if it makes you happy, go for it dude.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

> Is it ever okay to wear team kit?

I've been thinking quite a bit about this topic this year. I have several cheap "kits" that I've purchased on eBay that look like team rider uniforms from years past. I made the purchases primarily due to the low cost and I like the designs and color schemes, not because I'm trying to fake looking like a racer.

However, perhaps I'm starting to get old, but I'm considering getting rid of all my racer-looking apparel and just going with black shorts and advertisement-free jerseys for two reasons:
  • I don't race and don't want to look like I do

As the OP posted, if I saw someone wearing a jersey with the World Cup stripes, my internal thoughts would be, "That person better be d@mn fast to flaunt the World Cup jersey colors! I must pass them and show them who's boss!" I personally like the World Cup stripes a lot but have refrained from wearing anything with those colors as the colors have meaning the the sport of cycling. If I ride around looking like I'm a racer, I'm just asking for someone else to come and kick-my-@ss (i.e., ride faster than me) and make me feel bad about myself :P If I ride in a plain-Jane looking kit, another rider won't expect me to be able to kick-their-@ss and might be surprised if I do! :lol:
  • No one is paying me to advertise for them, so I won't

I find it rather ironic in this world we live in that manufacturers don't have to pay people to advertise for them... instead, consumers actually pay to advertise! What I mean by that is that when one wears a jersey with "TREK" or "Specialized" or "[Your Favorite Brand]" plastered across the chest or on one's shorts, you're advertising for that brand. If you paid good money for that kit, not only did you give the company a pile of money to buy the product, you are also paying them to advertise their brand to others. I personally think that if brands want me to advertise for them, they should pay me.

I'm the kind of weird-o that when I buy a new car, I "debadge it" by removing any logo that isn't permanently part of the car (which also includes the car dealer stickers or license plate frames). Afterall, I already paid the company a huge pile of money for the vehicle and feel no need to continue advertising for them unless they want to pay me to do so. Likewise, why should I ride around the countryside and advertise for bike manufacturers when I already emptied my wallet just to buy the bike and kit in the first place?
My 2 cents...

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Last week I wore a Trek Segafredo jersey while riding my Sunweb Cervélo R5. I had my middle finger ready just in case I got a snarky remark. What mattered is the colors matched :lol:
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

AJS914

by AJS914

I find it rather ironic in this world we live in that manufacturers don't have to pay people to advertise for them... instead, consumers actually pay to advertise! What I mean by that is that when one wears a jersey with "TREK" or "Specialized" or "[Your Favorite Brand]" plastered across the chest or on one's shorts, you're advertising for that brand.

People wear jerseys or logos because it's a modern form of tribal affiliation. It makes them feel good to identify with their favorite team.

You could say that people do the same with bike brands. People pay $2000 extra to sport an "S-Works" logo and save 150 grams. They are signaling their affilation with looking "pro" or their ability to toss that extra $2000 into the pot and ride top of the line. It's basically the same reason a guy buys a $10K Rolex watch and walks around town wearing. It signals to the world that he has money.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

It's interesting to see the lengths people will go to justify their (negative) judgment of others. I don't wear team kit. Mostly because I'm a matchy matchy person and the colors and logos never fit with my scheme or brands.

I find it really funny because if everyone bought team kit, so much money would be injected into teams that it would be a major boon for the sport and riders. So much revenue from professional sports is tied back to apparel sales and that is revenue that is almost nonexistant for cycling. For example, NBA Jersey sales contribute about $10M/year to EACH team.

And for the record, weekend basketball enthusiasts absolutely will wear their favorite players jersey while playing and catch no flak from anyone for it.
Basso Palta II - SRAM Force AXS 2x - Road/Gravel/Commute
Wilier Cento10AIR - retired
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Collecting dust

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

Unniti

by Unniti

JMeinholdt wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:10 pm
It's interesting to see the lengths people will go to justify their (negative) judgment of others. I don't wear team kit. Mostly because I'm a matchy matchy person and the colors and logos never fit with my scheme or brands.

I find it really funny because if everyone bought team kit, so much money would be injected into teams that it would be a major boon for the sport and riders. So much revenue from professional sports is tied back to apparel sales and that is revenue that is almost nonexistant for cycling. For example, NBA Jersey sales contribute about $10M/year to EACH team.

And for the record, weekend basketball enthusiasts absolutely will wear their favorite players jersey while playing and catch no flak from anyone for it.
One of the reasons I almost exclusively ride in team jerseys is because I want to support the teams.

Sanjuro

by Sanjuro

Going with no, but it's just my opinion so you're free to go with your opinion and I am not going to judge you or say anything. My reasoning:

While its true I do wear my favorite futbol club jersey (and often national team during the Cup), I don't for cycling jersies. I'm never going to be on the field with futbol players practicing, but I am on the roads, and pros do wear their kit training. so it just doesn't feel right to me. This is going to be far more true if you find yourself training in the Monaco/Nice area than it is somewhere in the US, but still, given that context, I won't do it. There's plenty of club jersies I like, my local shop, my team kit when I used to race, and some various brand designs I like to choose from. Unless some fantastically unusual thing happened and I was given team kit from a team and rode with them, I don't feel right identifying with them out on the road when I could just as easily run into an ex- or current Pro. Granted, then only time I actually did was when I went to France for some weeks and rode, but still.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Sanjuro wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:54 pm
Going with no, but it's just my opinion so you're free to go with your opinion and I am not going to judge you or say anything. My reasoning:

While its true I do wear my favorite futbol club jersey (and often national team during the Cup), I don't for cycling jersies. I'm never going to be on the field with futbol players practicing, but I am on the roads, and pros do wear their kit training. so it just doesn't feel right to me. This is going to be far more true if you find yourself training in the Monaco/Nice area than it is somewhere in the US, but still, given that context, I won't do it. There's plenty of club jersies I like, my local shop, my team kit when I used to race, and some various brand designs I like to choose from. Unless some fantastically unusual thing happened and I was given team kit from a team and rode with them, I don't feel right identifying with them out on the road when I could just as easily run into an ex- or current Pro. Granted, then only time I actually did was when I went to France for some weeks and rode, but still.
So you're afraid to be confused with the pro team while they're out? I would bet pros would be happy to see others in their team kit because they would know that those dollars contribute to the funding the team can use to pay their salaries.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

In the UK many serious cyclists belong to local riding clubs. To show their affiliation and support their club financially they buy the club jersey.

So we have peletons of cyclists riding around in the same kit. Safety in numbers and looks cool.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

S-Works SL8 Dune White SRAM Red AXS Craft CS5060 wheels Roval Rapide bars 6.6kg

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

JMeinholdt wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:10 pm

I wonder if any of the teams do have licensing agreements that cover that or if it's a part of the deal they do with the kit sponsor that the kit sponsor gets to sell replica clothing and keep the proceeds.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:50 pm
I wonder if any of the teams do have licensing agreements that cover that or if it's a part of the deal they do with the kit sponsor that the kit sponsor gets to sell replica clothing and keep the proceeds.
I don't know the answer. I would like to think that they get a portion of the profit. I can almost guarantee GCN gets a cut of the sales of GCN Castelli kit, based on the way they promote it.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Wearing team colors is okay when you're on the team :lol:

velov

by velov

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:34 pm

People wear jerseys or logos because it's a modern form of tribal affiliation.
Rapha RCC comes to mind...

sychen

by sychen

velov wrote:
AJS914 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:34 pm

People wear jerseys or logos because it's a modern form of tribal affiliation.
Rapha RCC comes to mind...
Since the second C stands for club.. No club jerseys too.. Hmm.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com