Is it ever okay to wear team kit?

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Sanjuro

by Sanjuro

JMeinholdt wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:09 pm
So you're afraid to be confused with the pro team while they're out? I would bet pros would be happy to see others in their team kit because they would know that those dollars contribute to the funding the team can use to pay their salaries.
Lol who said anything about afraid?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

wintershade wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:11 am
The difference is -- you're wearing no more than a jersey while spectating at an event. It's not like you're running around on the field in full pads.
Tell that to this guy...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

This topic was literally just brought up by the NBC commentators during todays stage. They had mentioned that pros typically look fondly towards amateurs wearing their team kit because they know that it's supporting their team. It was also mentioned that purchasing team kit supports the sport in general so "why not" basically.
Basso Palta II - SRAM Force AXS 2x - Road/Gravel/Commute
Wilier Cento10AIR - retired
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Collecting dust

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

Etienne

by Etienne

I think there is a significant difference between cycling and football/soccer, rugby, basketball, handball etc. ... unlike cycling, those teams are linked with communities, towns, countries etc. and people are able to identify and then have the feeling they belong to something when they wear the club's kit.

Cycling teams being nomadic everchanging systems ... I think it is much more difficult to create such a link and wearing a cycling team's kit is less easily understood. Bike riders generally prefer representing their own community, often their cycling club.

Just my 2 cents.

Unniti

by Unniti

Etienne wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:50 pm
I think there is a significant difference between cycling and football/soccer, rugby, basketball, handball etc. ... unlike cycling, those teams are linked with communities, towns, countries etc. and people are able to identify and then have the feeling they belong to something when they wear the club's kit.

Cycling teams being nomadic everchanging systems ... I think it is much more difficult to create such a link and wearing a cycling team's kit is less easily understood. Bike riders generally prefer representing their own community, often their cycling club.

Just my 2 cents.
The whole cycling teams are ever changing nomadic corporations is way overblown. Their names may change but the organization usually stays the same and in the same place. And even then we have teams like FDJ, Movistar, Cofidis, Lotto, Astana, Ag2r, Quick-Step, Jumbo, UAE. Trek, Ineos, and Mitchelton are already or closing in on their 10th year in the world tour.

A lot of those teams have been around since the 80s or 90s. Some with the same title sponsors for decades. Others have had changes, and some quite drastic, in their sponsors along the way but the teams have generally stayed in the same place ran by the same people even when the name changes.

mrfish

by mrfish

I became disillusioned after many of the teams I supported proved to be drug enhanced. After burning my set of Lance Armstrong books and slinging my Telecom DVDs and Gewiss jersey in the bin, I decided I would not spend money supporting people and businesses whose ethics I do not agree with.

I believe the current peloton is more or less clean, but quite a few of the people running the teams are unrepentant cheats. Then take out the teams sponsored by sportsreputationwashers, dodgy dictatorships, big oil, gambling and so on and that excludes half the peloton.

There are some good honest businesses like DIY chains, coffee, plumbing equipment, mid market hotels and insurance companies, but these have about as much glamour as a wet fish, so as I would never walk round town wearing a t-shirt from one of these companies, this also rules out their cycling jerseys.

The answer is to wear a well-designed non team jersey, or a local club jersey which recognizes local businesses that support grassroot cycling.

If you really must, go for a Mapei or Ariostea jersey, as despite the murky history of the teams, the designs are brilliant.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

The whole premise of this thread is terribly off the mark.

The only thing which matters with cycling equipment is whether the bar tape matches the saddle.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

I ride team kit almost always, but then most of my bikes are 15 to 40 years old. I go to great lengths to get the correct team kit when I start restoring an older bike. I even have a US Postal bike dedicated to, (no not him ;-) )Hincapie and I wear the american champion jersey with that bike and my Pantani jersey with my Bianchi AND my La Vie Clair outfit with my Bernard Hinault Look TT bike.
Cannondale Super Six Hi Mod 2017 6.845 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50 kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023, 4.418 kg