Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

steveadore wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:00 am
I've never used the habu tights and was actually wondering how warm that fabric might be (it's hard to tell from the handful of photos I've found online showing the material). Are they just lycra with a waffle pattern back? Or are they more like Roubaix-type, fleece-like material? I'm sensitive to cold and usually switch to full-length bib tights (I have plenty of lighter tights and I prefer them to shorts+leg warmers) below 17-18 degrees C. Where I live, the transition between warm and cold seasons is not too long (a couple of weeks max), so it's either summer gear or tights&jacket. In your opinion, would these spring/fall Reform shorts be of any use to someone like me? I was thinking of maybe using them between 18-21 degrees C, but perhaps they would be too warm for that?
The fabric is very warm. Same as Assos warmest leg warmers, the Evo 7. The highest temp I could imagine using them would be 12 - 13C. And that would only work if I was cruising around at tourist pace. Based on your cold sensitivity (sounds like my Spanish friends), you might be OK another couple of degree warmer. But I can't imagine anyone using them above 15 or 16. At the other end of the spectrum, I can wear them down to about zero when matched with the Evo 7 leg warmers. Colder than that I couldn't tell you as it rarely gets that cold where I live.

You can't quite compare them to the Habu tights because those tights have a windproof groin area, these bibs don't which IMO makes them more versatile.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

steveadore

by steveadore

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:34 am
steveadore wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:00 am
I've never used the habu tights and was actually wondering how warm that fabric might be (it's hard to tell from the handful of photos I've found online showing the material). Are they just lycra with a waffle pattern back? Or are they more like Roubaix-type, fleece-like material? I'm sensitive to cold and usually switch to full-length bib tights (I have plenty of lighter tights and I prefer them to shorts+leg warmers) below 17-18 degrees C. Where I live, the transition between warm and cold seasons is not too long (a couple of weeks max), so it's either summer gear or tights&jacket. In your opinion, would these spring/fall Reform shorts be of any use to someone like me? I was thinking of maybe using them between 18-21 degrees C, but perhaps they would be too warm for that?
The fabric is very warm. Same as Assos warmest leg warmers, the Evo 7. The highest temp I could imagine using them would be 12 - 13C. And that would only work if I was cruising around at tourist pace. Based on your cold sensitivity (sounds like my Spanish friends), you might be OK another couple of degree warmer. But I can't imagine anyone using them above 15 or 16. At the other end of the spectrum, I can wear them down to about zero when matched with the Evo 7 leg warmers. Colder than that I couldn't tell you as it rarely gets that cold where I live.

You can't quite compare them to the Habu tights because those tights have a windproof groin area, these bibs don't which IMO makes them more versatile.
Thanks, you've just saved me ~100 euros then :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

steveadore wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:59 am
steveadore wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:38 pm
Has anyone tried the limited release Reform bib shorts? Basically, they have recycled old, S7 generation materials and chamois in a Mille GT design, but with the newer style leg grip band. The Mille GT fit me well, so I wonder if it may be worth buying these (especially as they come with the S7 Equipe and S9 pads)
I bought a pair of the Spring/Fall Reform bibs - so with that thermal fabric same as my habu tights. They are quite fine for winter use. S9 pad, certainly good value. If the cut and sizing is the same on the regular reform, than expect them to fit much like the current GT.
You’re better off getting the Spring/Fall bib shorts and using knee or legs warmers for those temps. It’ll be more versatile.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

steveadore

by steveadore

kode54 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:31 am
steveadore wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:59 am
steveadore wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:38 pm
Has anyone tried the limited release Reform bib shorts? Basically, they have recycled old, S7 generation materials and chamois in a Mille GT design, but with the newer style leg grip band. The Mille GT fit me well, so I wonder if it may be worth buying these (especially as they come with the S7 Equipe and S9 pads)
I bought a pair of the Spring/Fall Reform bibs - so with that thermal fabric same as my habu tights. They are quite fine for winter use. S9 pad, certainly good value. If the cut and sizing is the same on the regular reform, than expect them to fit much like the current GT.
You’re better off getting the Spring/Fall bib shorts and using knee or legs warmers for those temps. It’ll be more versatile.
There's little variation in temperature where I live, and my rides in transitional seasons (2-3 weeks a year usually) do not start/end early morning or late afternoon, which would warrant riding in shorts with leg warmers (i.e. I don't need to adapt to temperature variation). Once it gets to the 10-15 C range, I'm definitely happier with lighter bib tights, as the temperature would not suddenly change from 15 to 20 degrees. I have several leg warmers but I hardly use them.
I thought that the Reform Spring/Fall shorts were simply regular bib shorts with only slightly thicker/warmer fabric. But it sounds they are more like proper cold weather gear to be used with leg warmers/knee warmers

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I think you've got the right idea. I don't really get Assos idea of Spring/Fall. All of their gear that is one level down from their warmest winter gear is still winter gear - good down to about the freezing point. Their full winter range (Bonka? Ultraz?) must be meant for below freezing temps. But as always Assos is schizophrenic, with some so called Spring/Fall upper body pieces possessing non windstopper sleeves or front panels. To me this level of breathability is more useful in the 10 to 15c range.

As always, if you ride hard enough things change. I've done more than a few group hammerfests in single digit temps with arm warmers, knee warmers, and a vest over summer kit.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Btw is It just me or does this look absolutely 🔥
Attachments
1000079318.jpg
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I could be you. Depends on what you're looking at. The bike? the jersey? The rider?

I know one thing about Assos Jerseys though, the short sleeve versions can never look "hot" - the sleeves are just too damn short.

Gx3

by Gx3

Anyone try the new EQUIPE RS SCHTRADIVARI BIB SHORTS yet? If so, how do they compare to the previous generation?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Gx3 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:05 am
Anyone try the new EQUIPE RS SCHTRADIVARI BIB SHORTS yet? If so, how do they compare to the previous generation?
I'm curious about the length of the legs. Assos are doing 'standard' and 'long' versions of this new bib.

I found the S9 Targa bib short legs a bit too long for me compared to the original S9. I wonder how the standard length S11 bib short compares to the S9 Targa.

drc

by drc

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:33 am
Gx3 wrote:
I'm curious about the length of the legs. Assos are doing 'standard' and 'long' versions of this new bib.

I found the S9 Targa bib short legs a bit too long for me compared to the original S9. I wonder how the standard length S11 bib short compares to the S9 Targa.
I went to the Assos booth at Cyclingworld Europe in Düsseldorf yesterday and had a chat with one of their representatives about the S11. The standard S11 is supposed to have the same leg length as the S9 Targa with the long version getting about +3cm leg length extra.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

drc wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 am
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:33 am
Gx3 wrote:

I went to the Assos booth at Cyclingworld Europe in Düsseldorf yesterday and had a chat with one of their representatives about the S11. The standard S11 is supposed to have the same leg length as the S9 Targa with the long version getting about +3cm leg length extra.
Thanks for that. I'll stick with the regular S9 bibs that I bought up on closeout.

GaBa

by GaBa

Is anyone else experiencing tearing at the end of the seam of chamois? I am constantly getting holes after some time, that being while chamois is still looking as new. And I am getting fed up with it to be honest. I bought one Q36.5 in between and had no such issues. I am guessing the problem is Asoss' chamois is not sewn whole way around but just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

I love Assos apparel but am not willing to toss away perfectly fine bibs/tights because of this issue. So I might try some more Q36.5 which I also liked in the end.

kervelo

by kervelo

GaBa wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:18 am
Is anyone else experiencing tearing at the end of the seam of chamois? ...
I have used Assos bibs and tights for years, but have not had similar issues.

drc

by drc

GaBa wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:18 am
Is anyone else experiencing tearing at the end of the seam of chamois? I am constantly getting holes after some time, that being while chamois is still looking as new.
My first S9 Targa developed so many holes over the course of a single season that Assos just sent me a new one. I did buy the bibs at a LBS, so luckily they handled the warranty claim with Assos, but it's still annoying.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Hello, after some research, I chose the Mille GTS bibs, it seemed like a good choice te replace my Castelli, not too tick but not too racy like the 9mm version.
But compared to the Castelli pad Progetto X2 Air, the Assos GTS one seems only composed with soft foam which completely collapses under pressure. I can feel my nail through it, whereas on the Progetto there is a thin layer of gel which seems to distribute the pressure better. There is also a lot of foam under the perineum on the Assos, maybe more than on the sit bone area, seems to add pressure rather than relieve it. Thinner on the Castelli so feel like I'm more on the sit bone with less pressure in front even if my position is fairly agressive.

Other have the same feeling ? Maybe just time to switch ? I really want to like this GTS but initial impression are not that good.