Perfect rack setup for short commute?

A gigantic catch-all for Randonneuring (Audax), Bike-packing (Touring), and Commuting with or without E-bikes!
TLN

by TLN

Hi all.

Planning to commute by bike to new job. Already have bike frame and parts to put together bike for that: Canyon Grizl AL Suspension. Have some neccessary mounts for rack on the back, but have 30mm fork on the front.
Route: 10 miles. Weather: nice/Bay area

What would be your perfect setup for short (10miles/30-40min commute)?
Paniners, backpack on your back, rolltop that can be attached to bike? I wanna say price is not a big deal, but no need in Talfin carbon rack for beater bike.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jayjay

by jayjay

100% panniers

harblhat

by harblhat

My commute is a similar length and I will only do it with panniers. I use a Tubus Fly rear rack with Ortlieb Back Roller City panniers. Usually just one bag will fit everything I need. Backpacks make my back way too sweaty, are uncomfortable with the constant movement and looking around during city commutes, and raise the centre of gravity.

TLN

by TLN

harblhat wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:49 pm
My commute is a similar length and I will only do it with panniers. I use a Tubus Fly rear rack with Ortlieb Back Roller City panniers. Usually just one bag will fit everything I need.
do you remove paninner each time, or you put backpack inside paninner and just take it with you when you arrive?
Removing/attaching paninners each time seems sub-optimal, and choice of paninners is pretty limited. On the other hand, backpack will require pretty spacious paninner to start with.

jayjay

by jayjay

TLN wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:30 pm
Removing/attaching paninners each time seems sub-optimal
It usually takes 1-2 seconds
TLN wrote:
choice of paninners is pretty limited
Ortlieb alone has a bunch of different models and sizes.

joejack951

by joejack951

Use a pannier with a quality latching system and the on/off is a cinch. I have an Arkel Bug from ~2005 that I still use regularly. The new latching system looks more complicated but given that it's Arkel, I'm guessing it's going to work well and last: https://arkel.ca/collections/bike-panni ... r-backpack

I paired it with a lightweight dry bag to ensure my clothing inside stayed dry. Worked well for many years of bike commuting back when it was an easy option (pre-kids).

harblhat

by harblhat

TLN wrote:
do you remove paninner each time, or you put backpack inside paninner and just take it with you when you arrive?
Removing/attaching paninners each time seems sub-optimal, and choice of paninners is pretty limited. On the other hand, backpack will require pretty spacious paninner to start with.
Removing and reattaching the panniers happens without a thought, it's very straightforward. There are also panniers that have backpack straps if you want that versatility at the cost of added weight. Others look more like laptop bags and less like panniers for a more business look. I use an organizer in mine that has separate compartments to keep things neat.

Ortlieb's range of panniers is pretty huge and to me they are the gold standard. Arkel was also mentioned and they too make a great product.

TLN

by TLN

Hm, may be I should re-consider paninners and removing em each day.
So far I was thinking:
1. Spesh bucket: hardshell. Drop laptop. will be useful for groceries runs. I can also use with my own backpack.
2. Spesh aero paninner: looks cook, but seems kinda small.
^Both of those stay on bike when I'm at work.
3. Way to mount Mission workshop Transit bag (17-31L). I think it's mostly meant for pizza rack in the front. No idea how to mount nicely in the back.
4. classic paninner.

Smitty2k1

by Smitty2k1

I can personally vouch for Ortlieb, Arkel, and Lone Peak panniers and associated hardware for commuting purposes - easy on/off. Ortlieb wins in terms of flexibility of mounting hardware and waterproofness. Lone Peak will do custom colors for you for relatively little money. Arkel has some neat models.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I have a 7.5 mile round trip commute. I use a Rapha travel backpack daily. I exhausted myself looking at rack options, but I could never let my mind be at ease with my laptop anywhere but on my back.

The Rapha backpack's strap design makes it really comfortable to commute with. Thick straps, chest clasp, and it keeps it centered.

The only real drawbacks I have with it, is that it's fairly thin so carrying a lunch in addition to my clothes, laptop, and other accessories can be difficult to pack. Doable, but difficult.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

idickers

by idickers

I use the Ortlieb Quick Rack for my commute, and have gotten by with just their Trunk Bag mounted on top. Even a place for my Varia radar on the back of the Trunk bag. I like the QuickRack because I can take it on and off in seconds. I might add a small side pannier bag just to bring a little extra, but most days I can fit lunch and work clothes in the Trunk Bag.

Ferry

by Ferry

I use the Hebie Wingee: combination of fender and rack with Ortlieb bags (the smaller "gravel" version).

TidyDinosaur

by TidyDinosaur

I have a 21km commute each way. I use 2 23l waterproof pannier bags. I also use a backpack, that fits all my stuff (laptop, food,...) I will need in the office.
I put the backpack in one of the pannier bags. The bag stays on the bike almost permanent.
I never bike with the backpack on my back. When I started commuting 20 years ago I rode with a backpack, but never again. My back gets sweaty enough without it.
The second bag I use for my rain clothes, I have a jacket, pants and shoe covers in there and I take that bag with me when they forcast rain (semi permanent on the bike these days)

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I use a Topeak rear rack (a heavy one as it is also compatible with a child seat) and Ortleib pannier bags on my 10 mile commute in the UK. The bags take one second to attach/detach from the rack and are rock solid when on the rack.

As soon as you move to a decent rack set up you can never go back to anything else. I could never ride with a backpack anymore.

Driventomadness

by Driventomadness

I put a Tubus Vega rack and Ortlieb bags on my Grizl. You can backpack commute, but your back will get sweaty no matter what you do. You'll also be limited in capacity. Larger backpacks will hit your helmet. It takes half a second to pull an Ortlieb bag off and it's completely waterproof. I use both the smaller and larger bags depending on where I'm headed to, or what I plan on buying on the way. The Specialized coolcave and cover are just super expensive and don't seem to add functionality over an Ortlieb.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com