Pacific Coast from WA; OR down to San Diego - experiences?

A gigantic catch-all for Randonneuring (Audax), Bike-packing (Touring), and Commuting with or without E-bikes!
Siriuslux

by Siriuslux

Hi everyone,

I have a new project in mind, riding along the Pacific Coast from North down to San Diego.
Has anyone here experienced that? Would you have recommendations for forums, where one can discuss and / meet?
I am at the beginning of the project, so pretty much everything is open.

Thanks for your thoughts, hints and experiences

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

You'll probably have better luck on the Paceline forum as you'll find members there that have either done it or span the entire route and can provide guidance.

Siriuslux

by Siriuslux

RyanH wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:26 am
You'll probably have better luck on the Paceline forum as you'll find members there that have either done it or span the entire route and can provide guidance.
Thanks a lot Ryan, I'll check the Paceline forum.

ms6073

by ms6073

Siriuslux wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:14 pm
I have a new project in mind, riding along the Pacific Coast
Back 15 years or so ago, the wife and I did a fully-supported ride offered by a touring company that took us south from from Astoria sourth to Golad Beach mostly on or along the Pacfiic Coast Highway. It was a week long bike vacation and was a pretty amazing trip that coincided with the 4th of July weekend so light traffic most days except for on the 3rd and 4th. Ironically, despite bumper to bumper traffic as we rode towards Cannon Beach, the only time we got honked at was by a couple bozo's driving a POS Volkswagon Beetle with Washington license plates. We were amazed by the scenarey and terrain (rolling) an s well as the weather as it only got above 75-degrees on the 4th, with most days starting out in the 50's and occasionally light fog off the ocean first thing which made some of the small rollers along the coast that much more interesting. As this was pre Garmin GPS days, we did manage to make a wrong turn onto a mountain logging road but finally figured it out after an hour of climbing and passing several logging trucks, before the road abruptly ended at a logging site, but the descent back to the main road was a blast and included a couple Moose sightings along the way. That said, I have read posts from people who have ridden the PCH the last couple of years and their experiences were a stark contrast to ours, with comments about heavy/high speed traffic as well as impolite/impatient drivers. This might be dependent on the season as tourist season seems to be more contentrated in the spring and early summer around the 4th and I imagine peaks around labor day.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"