Bell Recommendations?

A gigantic catch-all for Randonneuring (Audax), Bike-packing (Touring), and Commuting with or without E-bikes!
feynman

by feynman

Ypuh wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:38 am
CloseTheGap / HideMyBell
That's pretty clever.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

I use the bar end bell. You just twist to ring and it doesn’t take off handlebar space.

Fan Industries OH-600B Bicycle Bell, Bar End Bell, Brass https://a.co/d/6yZySwn

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

feynman

by feynman

Thanks again for all of the replies.

Canyon has a similar bar end bell that looks fairly stealthy, here.

I was in my local REI and was happy to see they had Spurcycle variants, the Knog Oi Luxe (the Luxe was quite a bit nicer than the standard in my opinion), and a few other decent choices. I sat them all up on a makeshift platform, tested the sound, action, etc. I had some REI points and a $20 gift card, so you guys made me spend more than I ever thought I would...on a bell.

Now I'm a happy new Spurcycle Original Black owner. It's nuts, but I do like it. My bike deserves it I guess.

WW may be a bad influence on me.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

feynman wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:35 am
Now I'm a happy new Spurcycle Original Black owner. It's nuts, but I do like it. My bike deserves it I guess.

WW may be a bad influence on me.
Nice I'm sure you will love it.

FYI there are aftermarket bar end mount kits for the spurcycle. I have one and love it.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/98GNQ ... cycle-bell

Smitty2k1

by Smitty2k1

I like these Crane e-ne bells as a cheaper alternative to a spurcycle bell.
https://www.cranebellco.com/e-ne-bell

froze

by froze

This forum is about weight weenies, screaming is a lot lighter weight than having a bell.

All a bell is good for is pedestrians on a bike path, they're useless on the street, but your voice is at the very least, with a soft voice, will be as effective as a bell, but most people's voices are significantly louder than a bell.

Of course, if your vocal cords are damaged and all you can muster is something akin to the volume of a whisper, then you better get a bell.

Some states require a bell by law, I've lived in two states that required a bell, neither state would pull a cyclist over for failure to have a bell, and about 98% of the riders did not have a bell in those states. The only states that "require" a bell is New York, Georgia, Indiana, New Jersey, and South Carolina. But I bet if you ask bike shops in those states if they ever knew of someone who got a ticket for not having a bell the answer would be no.

Maybe in some other countries, they're much more militant about bells on bicycles, but in America, they're not.

In some states in America, law enforcement puts a priority on lights and reflectors at night. At night in some states, like Indiana where I live currently, if you have an accident and it's not your fault but you were running without lights or reflectors, they charge the accident automatically to the rider for being at fault, and the motorist will get no blame for it. But this isn't the case with bells, no bell, no big deal, the cops have more important things to do than to be concerned with than harassing someone without a bell.