Hope 1000

A gigantic catch-all for Randonneuring (Audax), Bike-packing (Touring), and Commuting with or without E-bikes!
the jackel

by the jackel

Looking for a bit of bike advice for the hope 1000 route.

Considering riding the route, not the race, this summer. Only thing is I don't think I have the right bike. I have a gravel bike that will take 45mm tyres or a have a 29er 130mm full susp trail bike that I can't imagine dragging up mountain after mountain and think I would be hugely overbiked if I took it.

Most pics I've seen show hardtail mtbs. Has anyone done the route? What kind of bike does it need and if you were in my shoes what bike would you take?

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Don't just think about the bike... think about yourself (fitness, riding ability etc) and what you'll be needing to take along with you.

You're not racing so can take a few more luxuries and supplies, extra weight would potentially be too much for the gravel bike... but loading the trail mtb up would make it even slower and harder to climb with. Double edged sword, comes down to personal circumstances more than anything.

Personally I'd go for a 100mm travel XC full-sus.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the jackel

by the jackel

If only a new bike was on the cards this would be easy but unfortunately I've got to make do with what I've got.

Completely agree it's not just about the bike but I'm pretty sure I've got the fitness/endurance/ability to do the ride. Just looking for some guidance on bike choice. Maybe a gravel bike is simply under biked in which case the choice is simple, there just isnt too much info out there about it