True waterproof gear.

A gigantic catch-all for Randonneuring (Audax), Bike-packing (Touring), and Commuting with or without E-bikes!
nikosthom

by nikosthom

Hellow.I dont like turbo trainer so i prefer riding in the rain with my road bike.I m searching for a good pair of waterproof overshoes and maybee a jacket?

Στάλθηκε από το SM-A127F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

For overshoes I love my Spatz Grvlr over shoes but they are not cheap! Also the endura rain jacket is very good, designed for Scotland so used to taking a beating
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

bmCube

by bmCube

gripgrab high cuff overshoes are also very good. But spatzwear are warmer.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have posted on this topic elsewhere but I will save you the trouble of searching it out. Rando is a good location for this info anyway.
After suffering weather related PTSD due to a tough couple of weeks in central Italy in May/June 2019, I made it my personal mission to be able to ride in any above freezing weather and stay perfectly dry and warm.

From the top

Head
For rain I prefer a Specialized Prevail or Abus Airbreaker with a plastic shower cap, or Velotoze Helmet cover. I like these helmets because the way the vents are constructed, I can set the cover on the helmet in a way that leaves the bottom row of vents open – very important in warmer weather or when climbing.

Under the helmet I wear a fleece headband with a performance fabric cap. I wear the cap low over my glasses to keep them free of water droplets to maintain clear vision. The amazing thing is that even when the front of the cap is saturated, water will not soak through the fleece headband underneath it. Instead, when the cap can absorb no additional water, it just drips off the end of the cap bill. I have no idea why the fabric of the headband behaves this way, but my head stays perfectly dry and warm. I use Castelli and Ale thermal headbands and they perform similarly well.

Upper body
Shake-dry. Don’t even bother with anything else. 100 percent waterproof in all situations and enough breathability to keep you comfortable as long as you don’t go too hard. Tough to find lately. If I know I will be in the rain constantly and forced to keep the Shake Dry jacket on, I prefer more breathable clothing underneath.

Hands
I use a very basic thermal fleece underglove with waterproof shell gloves in lobster form. The lobster design reduces the number of seams and complications reducing the chance of leaks. I expect they will ultimately fail like all such membrane laminate products. Cheap enough that I don’t mind having a few pairs in reserve. The particular model I use is no longer available. As an alternative, I now also use the waterproof gloves from Velotoze. They are very good, perfectly waterproof, but not breathable.

Lower body
When it gets very cold and raining hard, I use waterproof mountain bike shorts. Makes a huge difference in keeping dry and maintain core temperature. Depending on temperature the usual tights, legwarmers, knee warmers, or combos thereof do the job.

Feet
Velotoze are the only product that can keep feet dry in constant rain. And even they can fail if the seal with the shoe or leg is in any way compromised. Legs must be freshly shaved for a good seal on the shin to avoid water ingress via capillary action. Any vents in shoe sole must be taped. On top of the Velotoze I often wear a more traditional waterproof bootie for added warmthThe new silicone shoe covers from Velotoze are excellent. Much easier to put on then previous versions. However I found I had to size down to get a good seal. They are super stretchy. I have serious doubts about Spats and the like. Unless there is a watertight seal against the shoe, it's only a matter of time until capillary action draws water up around the shoe and soaks your foot.

I have done as much as 5 hours in constant rain and single digit temps, and stayed perfectly dry and warm. And I can store it all in a big saddle bag and/or handlebar bag if the weather clears.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

froze

by froze

Along with the water proof shoe cover you can also get Showers Pass Crosspoint Classic Lightweight Waterproof socks, especially since Mr Gib said the Velotoze shoe covers will still let some water in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

Depending on how much you want to spend, a good jacket could cost you around $150, a better jacket easily twice that much if made of Gore-Tex, the problem though is spending more money on a better jacket really worth it? In my opinion, no!

I have a Showers Pass Syncline CC, it is not a treated jacket, treated jackets will lose their treatment after a season, then you have to retreat it. Showers Pass uses its own version of Gore-Tex called Artex, and it works extremely well for less money than Gore-Tex.

Showers Pass also makes waterproof shoe covers, as well as socks.

Not sure, but it seems like you might be living in Russia? If so, then I do not have a clue what is available to you there, or any other country but America.

Edit: There is no fabric made of any sort of nylon that will be completely waterproof, once the fabric is saturated with water you will get wet. The old canvas duck material was very waterproof as long as it stayed sprayed with waterproofing, but first you need to do at least 20 dunks of the fabric into water and letting dry completely in the full sun, this is to make the fabric shrink which helps to make the fabric better at being water resistant than spray a waterproof spray over the tent.

The only fabric I know of that is truly waterproof is Dyneema, which is extremely tough but also very expensive; and so far that I know of, no one is making clothes out of the stuff because it doesn't breathe at all.