Best bike for commuting

A gigantic catch-all for Randonneuring (Audax), Bike-packing (Touring), and Commuting with or without E-bikes!
maxice

by maxice

I've converted a Cannondale CAAD10 track bike into a commuter. Quite comfortable for my 16mile round trip.

Just added brakes and a freewheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steel515

by steel515

[quote=AJS914 post_id=1415794 time=1532271050 user_id=60118]
I turned a cross bike into a gravel / winter bike with 40mm Clement MSO xPlor tires. With 40mm tires it laughs at potholes for 60km rides I'd probably go for 36mm or 32mm tires. I had so much fun on that bike that I rode it all fall, winter, and spring.
[/quote]

who makes 36mm tires? you mean 35mm?

bmCube

by bmCube

Clement makes 36mm tires

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

IMO any bike you don't care about is a good choice for a commuter. In my case it was a retired backup race/training bike. Bonus if you can find one that accepts bigger tires.

Failing that, I'd buy a canti brake CX bike for dirt cheap, especially one with mudguard eyelets like a Fuji Cross Pro or something similar.

Nick38

by Nick38

I use to use a road bike all the time but following an accident where I was hit by a van on a roundabout I invested in a Gravel bike with my insurance payment, Specialized Diverge. Nearly as fast as a roadie on 32mm tyres but means I can use paths and a few tracks when traffic is busiest, just as quick over my 14mile commute

daneferrari

by daneferrari

AJS914 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:50 pm
I turned a cross bike into a gravel / winter bike with 40mm Clement MSO xPlor tires. With 40mm tires it laughs at potholes for 60km rides I'd probably go for 36mm or 32mm tires. I had so much fun on that bike that I rode it all fall, winter, and spring.
And if half the road is paved - would 36mm be comfortable?

BobbyAamand

by BobbyAamand

I have 14km each way and is riding my Bombtrack Audax. Except for the T47 bb it fits the bill nicely.

For me the most important thing is to have the least amount of maintenance work and cost.

I would consider the following:
Fender mounts
Room for at least 32mm tires, something fast rolling with decent puncture resistance (I use cinturato velos with tubes, it will hold the pressure much longer than tubeless).
BSA bb (less hassle and cheap to replace)
10sp groupo with hydraulic discs (cheap parts and chain lasts a long time)
A good lube like the Silca synergetic.