The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Seribert

by Seribert

dsveddy wrote:
Seribert wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 11:52 am
I need some help with retensioning a wheel. I got a farsport Kaze 58 wheelset and I started to service it. Front wheel is alright but the rear wheel is tensioned on the ds to 120kgf pretty evenly. But the nds is only tensioned to around 50kgf. Is the nds tensioned to low (especially since it’s a disc wheelset) and how can I retension the nds without throwing the dish out of place? :)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Spoke tension imbalance just a matter-of-fact on the rear wheel, since the bracing angle is going to be different for both sides. If the wheel is dished, true, and your DS spokes are at the proper tension, then you have the correct NDS tension. Rims will be specced to a peak tension that is specific to the side of the wheel with lower bracing angle, i.e. "120~130kgf for rear drive side". AFAIK the non-drive side spokes can be any tension as long as it is lower than the max spec tension.
Awesome thank you :)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

20h rear XDR hubs for rims brakes, apart from Hope RS4 what other options do i have?

PaulHenri

by PaulHenri

Ahoy !
Toe is broken so i'm thinking of a new wheelset while recovering... I was thinking of something like this, for a 24 spokes build - 99% use on road, to replace my GRX Alloy wheelset. No gravel/mtb intended other than the canal road (fine gravel or even tarmac sometimes) :
Hubs : DT 240 EXP Front & Rear (Could use some suggestion here, 12mm thru axle, if there is a cheaper alternative without compromising the weight)
Rims : Deerobust 340g 700C Carbon Rims 31mm Wide 35mm Deep 31GAR35
Spokes: DT AeroComp
Nipples : Aluminium nipples

Anything i should be aware of that i have not seen ? Total wheelset weight should be under 1400 gr if my calculations are right. Budget around 800 €

dsveddy

by dsveddy

PaulHenri wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:21 pm
Ahoy !
Toe is broken so i'm thinking of a new wheelset while recovering... I was thinking of something like this, for a 24 spokes build - 99% use on road, to replace my GRX Alloy wheelset. No gravel/mtb intended other than the canal road (fine gravel or even tarmac sometimes) :
Hubs : DT 240 EXP Front & Rear (Could use some suggestion here, 12mm thru axle, if there is a cheaper alternative without compromising the weight)
Rims : Deerobust 340g 700C Carbon Rims 31mm Wide 35mm Deep 31GAR35
Spokes: DT AeroComp
Nipples : Aluminium nipples

Anything i should be aware of that i have not seen ? Total wheelset weight should be under 1400 gr if my calculations are right. Budget around 800 €
Not sure how GB customs works out for you, but you could potentially save a lot of $$$ with hubs like GOLDIX R240SL, which are DT240 knock-offs (but not copies). Quoted weight is 245g for the set. Really depends on how much you care about bearing/machining quality. My GOLDIX hubs have been fine but certainly are not as precise as a DT set. The bearings they specced are decent--have steel cages instead of plastic. Or you can always pop them out and replace with nicer bearings if you want another step in the project.

The other choice I'll vouch for is Pillar wing for cost and weight savings. If you really want a more robust spoke you can go up to a Wing 21 or 22 instead of 20, but the wing 20s are already supposedly more robust than Aerolite/CX-ray. Again, really depends on the pricing you get in GB, here in the US everything DT is quite expensive compared to chinese parts