The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
GreenBlood

by GreenBlood

As mentioned in my welcome post, I am looking to building the same wheels -etc as twisted wheels. Light Bicycle AR25s with Extralite cyber smart 3 hubs and titanium carbon spokes. (It seems the spokes are hard to come by, brisk don't sell them anymore, but interestingly, Ali express has identical looking ones for sale at 7euro a pop)
I need to find out what lenght spokes I need for this combination. I have never built wheels before so need to gen-up well before ordering stuff.

Any help appreciated.

Steve

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrB123

by MrB123

Light Bicycle will probably assist you if you ask them.

calumfindlay

by calumfindlay

Hi all. I have been deliberating over my next rim brake wheel build for a while and finally pulled the trigger on the following components:

DT Swiss 240 Classic Rear Hub 28h
DT Swiss 240 Classic front Hub 24h
DT Swiss RR 411 asymmetric rear rim
DT Swiss RR 411 front rim
DT Swiss competition 2/1.8/2 spokes
Sapim alu nipples

I would have normally opted for Sapim Race but there wasn't availability in my size. I'm starting to think i should hold out for better spokes, but I keep telling my self to not be ridiculous.

Do I need to stop overthinking this??

TidyDinosaur

by TidyDinosaur

calumfindlay wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:33 pm
Hi all. I have been deliberating over my next rim brake wheel build for a while and finally pulled the trigger on the following components:

Sapim alu nipples

I would have normally opted for Sapim Race but there wasn't availability in my size. I'm starting to think i should hold out for better spokes, but I keep telling my self to not be ridiculous.

What would you see as "Better spokes"?

You could go for the Sapim Laser if you want to save some more weight. I build all my wheels with them...

calumfindlay

by calumfindlay

TidyDinosaur wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:07 am
calumfindlay wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:33 pm

Sapim alu nipples

What would you see as "Better spokes"?

You could go for the Sapim Laser if you want to save some more weight. I build all my wheels with them...
I have built with Sapim Race in the past, as I thought this was the "better spoke". For some reason I have associated stiffness with these spoke but looking into it a bit further Im not sure if that is the case. I just looked at the laser spoke, they would make the wheels somewhere in the region of 80-100g lighter. Maybe something to consider on the next rims.

birdrider

by birdrider

What are your guys thoughts on 21h 2:1 hubs for disk brakes? I recently built up a pair of AR56 wheels with 24 holes. The front is noteably more affected by cross winds. I think it's down to the spoke count. I'm coming from rim bake wheelsets with the spoke counts from 16-20h. I think the spoke count is often overlooked when it comes to stability.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568036 ... JsKZbXx3Kp

I was looking at these hubs and my only worry is about the rear hub and not having cross lacing on the disc brake side.
S823fbdb4d5474900b1ccc91094fd0c3cQ.jpg

Scott2017

by Scott2017

GreenBlood wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:21 pm
As mentioned in my welcome post, I am looking to building the same wheels -etc as twisted wheels. Light Bicycle AR25s with Extralite cyber smart 3 hubs and titanium carbon spokes. (It seems the spokes are hard to come by, brisk don't sell them anymore, but interestingly, Ali express has identical looking ones for sale at 7euro a pop)
I need to find out what lenght spokes I need for this combination. I have never built wheels before so need to gen-up well before ordering stuff.

Any help appreciated.

Steve
Brisk doesn't sell its carbon spokes anymore?

Catagory6

by Catagory6

hi, don't know if this one was covered, but wondering if an Aerolite spoke can be used to replace a CX-Ray spoke?
i'm doing a wheel build and am 1 CX-Ray short, but i have the Aerolite

its in a 2-cross rear DS rim brake, if that matters

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Similar dimensions, I don't see a problem.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

garbageman

by garbageman

My front wheel has 23 cx-rays and 1 aerolite. it will work.

trainingpartner

by trainingpartner

Shimano C24 tubular rim same ERD as the clincher?

petal666

by petal666

trainingpartner wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:49 pm
Compare the spoke lengths in the exploded diagrams. si.shimano.com

tfayet

by tfayet

petal666 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:53 am
trainingpartner wrote:
Same spoke lenght for front
Not same length for rear but not the same construction: 2*10 spokes cross*2 on C24 clincher; and 14+7 spokes on C24 tubular with cross*2 freehub and radial for the non freehub.... So difficult to know if same ERD for rear rim

trainingpartner

by trainingpartner

tfayet wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:10 am
petal666 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:53 am
trainingpartner wrote:
Same spoke lenght for front
Not same length for rear but not the same construction: 2*10 spokes cross*2 on C24 clincher; and 14+7 spokes on C24 tubular with cross*2 freehub and radial for the non freehub.... So difficult to know if same ERD for rear rim
Thank you 🙏

Greny

by Greny

Got a question about respoking my wheels , a pair of Reynolds AR 41 DB. https://road.cc/content/review/261898-r ... b-wheelset
They came standard in my Scultura 8000. Got the bike 10 days. Finally got around weighing all components this morning
and saw that the spokes are straight non butted non aero model with brass nipples.... they weigh 1620 gr rimtape installed.
I was figuring that if I rebuild the wheels (48 spokes) to Cx Ray and alloy nipples I gain approx 150 grams and ofc the aero effect.
When I look spec manual Reynolds site it says SPOKE, SPM SPRINT SP 283MM BLK. But sprint straight pull non aero, non butted doesn't excist .
Of course could be made specific for them by Sapim. What your thoughts guys ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com