Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Geoff wrote:In my experience, a basetape that looks like that still glues-up just fine. The reason that the glue has stayed on the basetape is that it really adhered well in the first place. Personally, I would add a layer of fresh glue to the base tape, let it dry overnight, then apply another, thin, layer just before you install it.

As an aside, in your last pic, it looks like the basetape itself is coming-off the tire? Is that correct? That would be a bigger issue than the glue and I would recommend resolving that, first.
Thank you!

No the base tape is still glued on on it

If i see a tape unglued, i should just glue it back?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Geoff

by Geoff

Absolutely. The base tape needs to be securely fastened to the tubular casing in order to be reliable. There are lots of differing opinions on the 'right' way to do that. I have personally had good luck with very high-strength commercial carpet adhesive (purloined from one of our tenant fit-out contractors), but have also used the old standby, Barge Cement.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurostar

by eurostar

I'm removing old Mastik Pro before I put Carogna tape on. If this is unnecessary please tell me. Glue removal is boring.

LMCuba

by LMCuba

Does Corsa Speed simply leak air much faster than other race type tyres? Pumped it up to 140 psi after gluing yesterday and they're halfway deflated 24 hours later. Is that just what TT tyres do? My Velofelx ProTour doesn't leak nearly as fast.

basilic

by basilic

For those considering tape:
Removing the tire leaves the tape glued to the rim. It can be then peeled off easily as one strip. The rim bed underneath is clean. The process is completely painless.
This is with Caden tape, 24mm, on carbon rims.

eurostar

by eurostar

Good stuff. Caden tape seems to be popular. They have a how-to video on youtube https://youtu.be/5xSYq2sXPWI They say their tape is "new" and made by 3M, and that if you want to remove it, you can leave the rim in the sun for 10 mins, then it peels off. https://carbonbikewheels.com.au/eu/prod ... eter-rolls Great to see a young company committing to tubs.

I wonder if Effetto Mariposa tape is the same stuff, also made by 3M? It doesn't seem likely that 3M would make a new kind of tub tape specially for a small Australian wheel builder.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

eurostar wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:48 pm
Good stuff. Caden tape seems to be popular. They have a how-to video on youtube https://youtu.be/5xSYq2sXPWI They say their tape is "new" and made by 3M, and that if you want to remove it, you can leave the rim in the sun for 10 mins, then it peels off. https://carbonbikewheels.com.au/eu/prod ... eter-rolls Great to see a young company committing to tubs.

I wonder if Effetto Mariposa tape is the same stuff, also made by 3M? It doesn't seem likely that 3M would make a new kind of tub tape specially for a small Australian wheel builder.
Do you know what Caden tape for one wheel weighs?
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

poulhansen

by poulhansen

basilic wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:55 am
My first experience gluing tubulars. It's somenting that's always intimidated me...

I went with the Caden tape. It's brilliant! You apply the tape with the backing on, install the tire, inflate/deflate and center it without any adhesion, then deflate and pull the backing off from under the tire, finally inflate so the glue sticks. It took me all of 5 minutes per wheel because I kept wondering when I would mess it up. But no, it is a painless process. The Caden owner/producer has a video out that shows the procedure, very simple.

Does it work? I don't know, haven't tested the wheels yet.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

beanbiken wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:58 pm
cveks wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:13 pm
beanbiken wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:07 am
Mastik pro or one? Very different beasts....

It was Vittoria Mastik One.
:thumbup: . Easy.... then as above, which I’m sure you have already done :) With the Mastik pro (which I have given up on) prevention is 1000 times better than cure. I never found a successful way to clean the fresh excess glue from the brake tracks. Better to mask things off until set. Trying the Caden Wheel’s 3M tape at the moment..... :unbelievable:

eurostar

by eurostar

Ask the guy at Caden. He answers emails fast.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

Tried but no answer yet

basilic

by basilic

A few grams (<10). I'll try and weigh it when I change the next tire.
btw when changing tires the old tape comes off easily and the rim requires only minimal cleaning with acetone (or maybe one shouldn't even bother)

basilic

by basilic

I had a flat (first flat on Veloflex raven tubulars in 8000 km, glass cut), and changed the tire. The caden tape weighs 10g (the scale hesitated between 9 and 10, but a few glue remnants on the rim).

poulhansen

by poulhansen

I got an answer and I bought the tape and it's 9 gram pr wheel. Sorry I forgot about this thread and posted it in another one. :-)