First time Tubeless + Loosing Pressure

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
PaulK

by PaulK

Hi all

Just got my set up exactly the way i want it....
Have FFWD Ryot 44s With GP 5000 STRs 66 PSI (font) 70 PSI (rear) using MilKit valves.
Have swapped cassette for an 11-32 and the rear cage from short to medium.

All is well
Except both tyres are loosing air and have become significantly softer over the course of about a week.

Is this normall with Tubless..?? If so i shall need a track pump.
Any recomendations and what to look for \ avoid.

No signs of the source of the leak no evidence of punctures.
Best
Paul

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I'm assuming you have put sealant in already. Have you ridden the bike on a decent length ride yet? I find that helps settle everything down.

And buy that track pump, it's an essential tool no matter what tyre set up you have. Don't skimp on it either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frostorama

by frostorama

Pretty much standard with tubeless; air loss over a few days is normal. Some setups are better than others; just check before riding and add some pressure if required.

On a seperate note you mentioned changing from short to medium cage. Have you swapped the entire rear mech or just the actual cage? I ask because Shimano rear mech's have different parallelograms depending on whether they are short (SS) or medium (GS) and swapping the cage on its own will result in sub-optimal shifting.

PaulK

by PaulK

frostorama wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:25 pm
Pretty much standard with tubeless; air loss over a few days is normal. Some setups are better than others; just check before riding and add some pressure if required.

On a seperate note you mentioned changing from short to medium cage. Have you swapped the entire rear mech or just the actual cage? I ask because Shimano rear mech's have different parallelograms depending on whether they are short (SS) or medium (GS) and swapping the cage on its own will result in sub-optimal shifting.
Thanks for that !
TBH I never swapped it !!, Im not sure what a parrellogram is (reff a Bycicle) My shop did the fitting and chain replacment. In terms of performance id say it was even better than before.
(Was swapped as he SS does not support an 11-32 \ upwards cassette)

PaulK

by PaulK

Any recomendation on a Track Pump.
Somting decent but not overboard (its been an exxpensive month so far)...
Thoughts on the below ..?
(I already have a Digital Guage)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235584290151 ... 14EALw_wcB

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

I’ve been using this boy for years, many tubeless setups done.

https://www.rosebikes.pl/rose-druckmach ... ion-877117

All the spare parts available online (but generally I haven’t been forced to swap any although almost everyday use).
Quite cheap and very reliable
Highly recommend!

Wysłane z iPad za pomocą Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Air loss depends on many variables. The tire used is very important. Pirelli Speedcore, Goodyear and Tufo/Enve tires are wonderful for air retention. The last gen Goodyears would lose maybe 2psi in a week. The rest will lose maybe 2-3psi daily. That’s better than any latex tube.

alanyu

by alanyu

PaulK wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:43 pm

I'm using this. One of best for price you can find out of China. Can easily setup TLR such as GP5K STR, Schwalbe Pro One, Tufo Comtura 5 TR, etc.

6fu

by 6fu

PaulK wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:43 pm

Have the same pump. Still going strong after 5 years and I pump up tires before each ride. Seated tubeless tires with it also. :beerchug:

havana

by havana

+1 for the Joe Blow. Inexpensive and very good, also good for car tires 😇
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

Miller

by Miller

If committing to tubeless it is worth having a chambered pump that can deliver a blast of air to seat stubborn tyres. New tyres generally seat without complaint but older tyres being re-mounted can take a bit of coaxing to get back in the saddle, so to speak.

I have an Airshot for that eventuality and it has seen a fair bit of use.

PaulK

by PaulK

Cheers All

I was pretty much committed to that pump seemed a reasnoble price and if i get 5 years out of it i will consider that a good return.
(Tho i did purchace from my preffered on-line reseller)
+ Unless replacing tyres im hoping there weill be no need to reseat the tyres in situ. As the MilKit valves let you Check Sealant, Remove old sealant and Top up sealant with the tyre still seated (but with a significantly reduced pressure) Not tried yet tho..

BTW have some blingy Lezynne Valve caps on the way which double with a core removal tool v sexy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com