Bontrager High Flow Valve Adapter Set

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
MikeD

by MikeD

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... t/p/46749/

Looks to me to be better than the Fillmore valve as you can remove it easily and use a needle type sealant injector to check and remove sealant, plus cheaper too. Comments?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Except it’s incredibly bulky? Also since it’s just an add-on to a plain Presta valve, some of the standard drawbacks remain. The valve body itself is an open cavity and sealant can pool / dry inside it.

MikeD

by MikeD

TobinHatesYou wrote:Except it’s incredibly bulky? Also since it’s just an add-on to a plain Presta valve, some of the standard drawbacks remain. The valve body itself is an open cavity and sealant can pool / dry inside it.
I've never had sealant clog the valve stem; only the Presta valve core. Sealant can get up inside the valve stem too on the Fillmore valve. The Bontrager valve adapter doesn't use the conventional Presta valve core. It has its own which has a larger surface area and, according to Bontrager, is "virtually clog free."

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Any time I add sealant through the valve of a Fillmore, I inflate the tire and then depress the valve to release air at max flow rate. That evacuates / aerosolizes any sealant in the valve. The Trek add-on + Presta is less likely to clog than a regular Presta, but it still has more airflow restriction than a Fillmore and an open bore. If you want overly complex and bulky, just get the new Muc-Off valve with the ball valve. It’s main trade-off is it’s not auto-open/close.

nickf

by nickf

Dunno what the issue is. Creating a solution for a problem that does not exist. Remove pesta valve, inflate and seat tire, syringe in the sealant, re-install presta valve. 20+years riding tubeless MTB and several years riding tubeless gravel, the valve was never something I ever cursed at or has issues with.

MikeD

by MikeD

nickf wrote:Dunno what the issue is. Creating a solution for a problem that does not exist. Remove pesta valve, inflate and seat tire, syringe in the sealant, re-install presta valve. 20+years riding tubeless MTB and several years riding tubeless gravel, the valve was never something I ever cursed at or has issues with.
Valve core clogging is a recurring problem and seating a tire even with a compressor can be difficult too because the Presta core is so flow restricted. There are workarounds though, so I mostly agree with you. After I started coating my Presta cores with silicone grease, I rarely clog a valve core.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com