Zipp specific Goodyear VectorR Z30 NSW/SW

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
garbageman

by garbageman

warthog101 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 3:46 am
US$155 MRSP
Not for me at this stage but I wait to hear how they go.
:?:
msrp is $90 per tire

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

I was going to say, I paid €70 (75USD) per tyre.

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

satanas wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 5:27 am
The marketing says Goodyear + Zipp, but assuming the tyres work, they should be equally effective on other i25 rims, from whatever brand - not that I'll be buying any at that price. (Shudder.)

Maxxis did something similar a while back with "Wide Trail" MTB tyres with the tread tweaked to work better on wider rims.
I'm not so sure here, as JV mentions above, they aren't strictly ISO compliant and therefore only officially compatible with the rims their designed for.

warthog101

by warthog101

garbageman wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 8:05 am
warthog101 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 3:46 am
US$155 MRSP
Not for me at this stage but I wait to hear how they go.
:?:
msrp is $90 per tire
From the sram link in the first post.
https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/models/ti-gy-vrn-a1
Comes up as $155-
I am in Australia
Even if that is AUD it is still more than 90USD🤷‍♂️

warthog101

by warthog101

mikehhhhhhh wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 8:37 am
I was going to say, I paid €70 (75USD) per tyre.
That is much better.

satanas

by satanas

^ Well, it's a bit less scary, but still...

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

satanas wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 3:20 pm
^ Well, it's a bit less scary, but still...
From the same place I paid 70EUR

GP5000: 65EUR
Corsa Pro: 70EUR
PZero Race: 65EUR
Enve SES Road: 80EUR

Seems competitive!

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 10:10 pm
Mavic tyres were just a branding exersize. They were otherwise Hutchisons. We see this now also with a number of other "specials", including Tufo -- Enve, and there is nothing particularly complicated about putting a different label on the tyres or even (I hazard a guess) imprinting a different "tread" pattern.
Considering neither Enve tire matches any current Tufo in spec or performance, it doesn't seem to be the case that they just relabel.

alanyu

by alanyu

Deleted. Wrong Info. My bad memory

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Funny they didn't make them also for the 404s/454s given these are the true aero wheelsets.

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

Got one fitted up this evening.

Difficult but not impossible to hook one side over the rim. Fully mountable by hand but it feels like it stays narrow and hugs the centre channel before inflating.

Nice strong couple of pops onto the bead. Not quite as loud as the 30mm STRs before though.

Measures 29.7mm fitted brand new at 70psi. Weighs 275g

Impressively good fit once inflated! Looked tailored like you might expect!
IMG_4743.jpeg
IMG_4744.jpeg

Leon

by Leon

So, I've read an interview with a Schwalbe rep. They test their tires at 160% pressure for one hour while test protocol from Zipp (or was it ETRTO) test 110% for 5 minutes. Does anyone know how these GoodYears are tested? I was eyeballing these tires untill I read the interview and now I have gut feeling the Schwalbe tires on Zipp is best. If you look into the compability list the Pro One TLE in 28mm is the only 28mm which is still allowed. And tested by Schwalbe and Zipp. As I understand Zipp relies on the tire manyfacturer to test the compability to their wheels.

I think I stick with Schwalbe (and 28mm).
Ride bikes, not tanks!

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

Leon wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:31 am
So, I've read an interview with a Schwalbe rep. They test their tires at 160% pressure for one hour while test protocol from Zipp (or was it ETRTO) test 110% for 5 minutes. Does anyone know how these GoodYears are tested? I was eyeballing these tires untill I read the interview and now I have gut feeling the Schwalbe tires on Zipp is best. If you look into the compability list the Pro One TLE in 28mm is the only 28mm which is still allowed. And tested by Schwalbe and Zipp. As I understand Zipp relies on the tire manyfacturer to test the compability to their wheels.

I think I stick with Schwalbe (and 28mm).
Zipp have updated their compatibility chart to show which tyres they test in house - marked in black: https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaigns/ ... patibility

That includes these. They've also stated their testing far exceeds the ISO standards, including the static test threshold of 110%.

I would also expect their testing to be more extensive than a static test.

Looks like Zipp independently tested the Schwalbe as well, which is likely why the 28mm remains on there. Whether these new tyres built and designed for the rims turn out to be a better option, who knows? You'd certainly hope they would.

warthog101

by warthog101

I have one of those Schwalbes on the front on my hookless WR50s. Thanks for the info. Happy enough with them.

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

I've got a couple of rides under the belt on these now.

Overall they feel good, manage to be pretty comfy despite the reduction in volume from the previous 30mm STRs

I don't think they feel quite as fast as the STR and I kinda miss that zingy sound the STRs make - these sound almost tacky/grippy.

Power:Speed seems similar across the same routes, so I don't think there's a material difference in RR.

Handling feels good, better than the 30mm STRs did, which did feel a bit soft under heavy cornering loads.

And best of all they haven't blown off yet :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com