Zipp specific Goodyear VectorR Z30 NSW/SW

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
mikehhhhhhh
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue May 16, 2023 3:08 pm
Location: UK

by mikehhhhhhh

Blurb: https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/road/colle ... year-tires

These claim to be designed around the 353 NSW and 303FC, to measure up 30mm and be correctly proportioned on a 25mm IW rim. That probably makes them a 28mm tyre in old money, but it's ok because it's fully ISO/ETRTO compliant because the number on the sidewall says 30 :beerchug:

They are on the BRR voting list, but the chances of a Zipp rim specific tyre getting voted seems unlikely, although the F1R with the same compound reviews well with similar RR and puncture scores to the STR.

I'm encouraged by the claims they are better proportioned on a 25mm rim, the fact they are designed for the rim and specifically tested by Zipp, especially given the current recurring topic of Hookless and 353s and the fact that I can in theory, safely run a tyre that measures 30mm as I had originally wanted to. Not ideal to feel the need to choose a tyre based on your wheels, granted!

Anyone else tried or thinking of trying them?

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



cleanneon98
Posts: 511
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:26 pm

by cleanneon98

So much work to solve a problem which was created by trying to solve a problem that didn't actually exist
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight

User avatar
Spinnekop
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: South Africa

by Spinnekop

I'll give them a go as soon as the local importer gets stock.
I'll go for the Z30 SW on the Zipp 404 firecrest rim.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

mikehhhhhhh
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue May 16, 2023 3:08 pm
Location: UK

by mikehhhhhhh

Spinnekop wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 2:25 pm
I'll give them a go as soon as the local importer gets stock.
I'll go for the Z30 SW on the Zipp 404 firecrest rim.
R2-bike has these in stock if they ship to you.

I managed to get the nsw about 15% cheaper (after duty/vat) than locally (also all out of stock)

Junior Varsity
in the industry
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 2:08 am
Location: 35,000' | 11,0668m

by Junior Varsity

mikehhhhhhh wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 2:57 pm
Blurb: https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/road/colle ... year-tires

These claim to be designed around the 353 NSW and 303FC, to measure up 30mm and be correctly proportioned on a 25mm IW rim. That probably makes them a 28mm tyre in old money, but it's ok because it's fully ISO/ETRTO compliant because the number on the sidewall says 30 :beerchug:

They are on the BRR voting list, but the chances of a Zipp rim specific tyre getting voted seems unlikely, although the F1R with the same compound reviews well with similar RR and puncture scores to the STR.

I'm encouraged by the claims they are better proportioned on a 25mm rim, the fact they are designed for the rim and specifically tested by Zipp, especially given the current recurring topic of Hookless and 353s and the fact that I can in theory, safely run a tyre that measures 30mm as I had originally wanted to. Not ideal to feel the need to choose a tyre based on your wheels, granted!

Anyone else tried or thinking of trying them?
They were 100% designed around both the inner and outer dimensions of the Zipp 353 NSW and 303 Firecrest. They are not simply a rebadged 28-622. Technically, they are not ISO/ETRTO compliant due to the design width standards of a 30-622 tire which are designed around a 21mm inner rim. For reference, a 28-622 tire are designed around a 19mm inner rim. This fact alone takes them out of compliance which is why they are for use on only Zipp 23mm and 25mm TSS rims.

There is more to a tire than its width. In the case of the Vector R Z30/Z35 Fitment Series, the profile is optimized for the 25mm inner rim, and the tread cap is adjusted accordingly to provide the best rolling resistance and grip, relative to the other tires in their class. The profile adjustment along with the interface allowed for by the dual angle bead make them the most aerodynamic tires ever tested by Zipp, a 1w to 3.5w improvement over the previous benchmark.

The Vector R Z30/Z35 are higher volume performance tires, both sharing the same compound as the EF1R and the EF1SSR, but they do have a different construction or materials compared to the EF1R.

To your point of chosing tires based on wheels, that's actually how it should be. Well, more how it should be. Look at cars, the tire size is driven by the vehicle's weight / size along with its intended use. While we're only talking abount going from a 19-21 to a 25mm inner rim, that's a massive difference percentage wise that does have a significant impact on the tire's performance. Also it's crazy to think that a 100kg rider and a 50kg rider should be on the exact same set-up (beyond pressure). I want to make sure that performance isn't limited to rolling resistance, a tire has a lot of jobs.

You can take a deeper dive here which has some better graphics that explaing the Fitment Series concept and the Vector R Z30/Z35 tires: https://www.goodyearbike.com/blog/zipp- ... -vector-r/
Doing bike things.

mikehhhhhhh
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue May 16, 2023 3:08 pm
Location: UK

by mikehhhhhhh

Thanks for the information - that Goodyear article is fantastic also.

I like the concept of their fitment series. It makes a lot of sense and makes you question how much is left on the table with other tyres on wider rims. Seems like Enve has cottoned on to this with their race day tyre also.

I wish Goodyear/Zipp would release more aero / rolling resistance data.

aeroisnteverything
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:43 pm

by aeroisnteverything

I think making tyres to specific wheel sizes (inner width) is maybe indeed how it should be - putting aside the costs that this might involve - but making tyres to a specific wheel brand is pretty nuts. Either Zipp is more popular as a wheel brand than I think it is... or there are, well, issues with those wheels.

mikehhhhhhh
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue May 16, 2023 3:08 pm
Location: UK

by mikehhhhhhh

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 5:57 pm
I think making tyres to specific wheel sizes (inner width) is maybe indeed how it should be - putting aside the costs that this might involve - but making tyres to a specific wheel brand is pretty nuts. Either Zipp is more popular as a wheel brand than I think it is... or there are, well, issues with those wheels.
There must be a demand for them, they sold out almost everywhere within a week!

CampagYOLO
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 3:58 pm

by CampagYOLO

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 5:57 pm
I think making tyres to specific wheel sizes (inner width) is maybe indeed how it should be - putting aside the costs that this might involve - but making tyres to a specific wheel brand is pretty nuts. Either Zipp is more popular as a wheel brand than I think it is... or there are, well, issues with those wheels.
Mavic used to have tyres made for them for years which came with their wheels, I don't think anyone ever bought a Mavic tyre!

Zipp are huge and possibly one of the most well known wheel brands out there, especially amongst casual cyclists. They seem to still have a big share of the ever dwindling OEM market as well for high end bikes.

aeroisnteverything
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:43 pm

by aeroisnteverything

CampagYOLO wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 8:21 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 5:57 pm
I think making tyres to specific wheel sizes (inner width) is maybe indeed how it should be - putting aside the costs that this might involve - but making tyres to a specific wheel brand is pretty nuts. Either Zipp is more popular as a wheel brand than I think it is... or there are, well, issues with those wheels.
Mavic used to have tyres made for them for years which came with their wheels, I don't think anyone ever bought a Mavic tyre!

Zipp are huge and possibly one of the most well known wheel brands out there, especially amongst casual cyclists. They seem to still have a big share of the ever dwindling OEM market as well for high end bikes.
Mavic tyres were just a branding exersize. They were otherwise Hutchisons. We see this now also with a number of other "specials", including Tufo -- Enve, and there is nothing particularly complicated about putting a different label on the tyres or even (I hazard a guess) imprinting a different "tread" pattern. Goodyear's resizing of the tyre (rather than just rebranding of their Eagle range) seems to take this a step further.

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 13029
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

CampagYOLO wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 8:21 pm

Mavic used to have tyres made for them for years which came with their wheels, I don't think anyone ever bought a Mavic tyre!

Zipp are huge and possibly one of the most well known wheel brands out there, especially amongst casual cyclists. They seem to still have a big share of the ever dwindling OEM market as well for high end bikes.

Mavic Yksion Pro UST (made by Hutchinson) was a very good tire 6-7 years ago. It was pretty fast, had good puncture resistance and it was an easy tire to live with. While they never gained that much popularity, that had more to do with Mavic's financial troubles and lack of a proper distribution network. Most cyclists buy whatever's available at their local shop, which tends to be Specialized or Bontrager in the US plus Continental, Vittoria and Schwalbe for road. It doesn't matter how good a Goodyear, Michelin, Hutchinson, etc. tire is if it's not stocked by the LBS.

warthog101
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:05 am

by warthog101

I have LB WR50s with the same/similar dimensions. Currently running Schwalbe pro one tle addix at 28f and 30r. Happy with them but may try these too at some point. :)

User avatar
Mr.Gib
Posts: 5685
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Location: eh?

by Mr.Gib

mikehhhhhhh wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 6:06 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 5:57 pm
I think making tyres to specific wheel sizes (inner width) is maybe indeed how it should be - putting aside the costs that this might involve - but making tyres to a specific wheel brand is pretty nuts. Either Zipp is more popular as a wheel brand than I think it is... or there are, well, issues with those wheels.
There must be a demand for them, they sold out almost everywhere within a week!
Yes, I heard there was panic buying. Wonder why that is?

Seriously though, curious about ease of installation.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

warthog101
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:05 am

by warthog101

US$155 MRSP
Not for me at this stage but I wait to hear how they go.

satanas
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:45 pm

by satanas

The marketing says Goodyear + Zipp, but assuming the tyres work, they should be equally effective on other i25 rims, from whatever brand - not that I'll be buying any at that price. (Shudder.)

Maxxis did something similar a while back with "Wide Trail" MTB tyres with the tread tweaked to work better on wider rims.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply