Newmen Streem Vonoa 2024

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
hannawald

by hannawald

RDY wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 2:08 pm
BalticSea wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:48 am
Agent041 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:25 am
BalticSea wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 8:59 am
Sprint wheels are very competitive, 1355 grams for 60/66mm wheelset is pretty good, price is competitive with CRW Works. Should be very aero too due to low number of spokes.

I just wish these wheels were available in paintless glossy finish
58mm, 24int/30ext, 1.292g, hooked, also glossy finish, for way less money ;)
https://www.wheelsfar.com/carbon-spokes ... p0182.html
coupon: FAR-OFF-50
Yes, I'm aware of Farsports and I'd trust their hubs over Newmen's hub, but Hypers are not available in 60+ mm depth. Also, 15 spokes at the front vs 20 is quite a difference
Trust their hubs over Newmen? Wut. The newmen road / mtb hubs are excellent - also made in Germany. Dunno if these hubs are their own design or ODM from TW / China tho.
Not sure about current generation but when I asked my lbs who were selling them about Newmen wheels they admitted they had many realiability issues (specifically mtb hubs). Maybe things have improved.

req110

by req110

Man the specs are awesome. I love allrounds. But the climbing ones are so light!
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bedampft

by bedampft

hannawald wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 2:35 pm
RDY wrote:
BalticSea wrote:
Agent041 wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of Farsports and I'd trust their hubs over Newmen's hub, but Hypers are not available in 60+ mm depth. Also, 15 spokes at the front vs 20 is quite a difference
Trust their hubs over Newmen? Wut. The newmen road / mtb hubs are excellent - also made in Germany. Dunno if these hubs are their own design or ODM from TW / China tho.
Not sure about current generation but when I asked my lbs who were selling them about Newmen wheels they admitted they had many realiability issues (specifically mtb hubs). Maybe things have improved.
That was with the 1st Gen Mtb Hubs.
The 2nd Gen was better, the Gen 3 (Fade) have been flawless so far. The latter uses a 3 pawl system with 33T, and they're almost silent, which is very nice.

The new Gen wheels will be in stock in early June.

RDY

by RDY

bedampft wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 7:21 pm
hannawald wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 2:35 pm
RDY wrote:
BalticSea wrote:

That was with the 1st Gen Mtb Hubs.
The 2nd Gen was better, the Gen 3 (Fade) have been flawless so far. The latter uses a 3 pawl system with 33T, and they're almost silent, which is very nice.

The new Gen wheels will be in stock in early June.
I had no experience of the 1st gen but heard there were problems. I don't like the almost silent freehub personally, but they're outstandingly good hubs in my experience and everyone I know who runs them. If the new wheels use their own hub design and come out of the same factory in Germany, that would be a big bonus for these new wheels.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

Only 5 spokes transmitting braking force on the front wheel (CRW had 8), I wonder if they would have issues with spokes detensioning and resonating under braking like some other carbon wheels.

Otherwise fantastic spec and price, I would prefer a ratchet hub though.

Agent041

by Agent041

BalticSea wrote:
Agent041 wrote:
BalticSea wrote:
Sprint wheels are very competitive, 1355 grams for 60/66mm wheelset is pretty good, price is competitive with CRW Works. Should be very aero too due to low number of spokes.

Yes, Farsport hub are known for good quality. Even Hambini has nothing but good to say about them.
Regarding spokes, maybe it sounds better 15 spokes over Farsport 20 spokes in terms of aero, but remember, that only 5 spokes do the braking load on Newman (as I thing is 2/1 system spoke), while 10 spoke do the braking load on Farsport 20 spoke wheels. So for climbing/descending definately better. ;)

hannawald

by hannawald

Agent041 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:12 am
BalticSea wrote:
Agent041 wrote:
BalticSea wrote:

Yes, Farsport hub are known for good quality. Even Hambini has nothing but good to say about them.
Regarding spokes, maybe it sounds better 15 spokes over Farsport 20 spokes in terms of aero, but remember, that only 5 spokes do the braking load on Newman (as I thing is 2/1 system spoke), while 10 spoke do the braking load on Farsport 20 spoke wheels. So for climbing/descending definately better. ;)
It seems they use different kind of spokes - look wider, similar to Craft Racing Wheels who also prioritise fewer spoke design.

Agent041

by Agent041

hannawald wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:00 am
It seems they use different kind of spokes - look wider, similar to Craft Racing Wheels who also prioritise fewer spoke design.
I assume that CRW have same carbon spokes as Farsport. Probably even from same manufacteror that has patent for such construction. But CRW has 100kg max weight limit, and Farsport has 120kg max weight limit. I assume lower weight limit is also due to 16 spokes in front.

toxin

by toxin

CRW make their own spokes

RDY

by RDY

toxin wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:56 am
I'd be surprised if that's true, it would make no sense from a cost perspective. But from what I heard they use a non-Stren supplier.

The Newmen spokes are definitely Stren. They or Cube act as a distributor for Stren's spokes - Vonoa is their branding of Stren spokes. Others in EU use them too (FFWD for example).

RDY

by RDY

Agent041 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:12 am
BalticSea wrote:
Agent041 wrote:
BalticSea wrote:

Farsports hubs vary wildly in quality and reliability because they use different suppliers and have very different price points with varying costs and designs. Hambini praised their expensive carbon spoke hubs from their Evo series. They're not the same as the cheap RD270. But I assume the latter are a similar H-works design to that which 9Velo use, which he's positive about ... although I don't think they have anywhere near the quality of the Evo hubs and there have been a number of documented major failures of the h-works hubs.

Agent041

by Agent041

RDY wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:43 am
Farsports hubs vary wildly in quality and reliability because they use different suppliers and have very different price points with varying costs and designs. Hambini praised their expensive carbon spoke hubs from their Evo series. They're not the same as the cheap RD270. But I assume the latter are a similar H-works design to that which 9Velo use, which he's positive about ... although I don't think they have anywhere near the quality of the Evo hubs and there have been a number of documented major failures of the h-works hubs.
Maybe I am not the best to judge, but I have several Farsport wheels with decent kilometers on them, and had not had any problems at all. That includes premium hub from EVO4, RD270 (for 20 carbon spokes) and RD360 (for 24 carbon spokes). And I must say I do some pretty heavy wattage on steep climbs

hannawald

by hannawald

RDY wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:36 am
toxin wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:56 am
I'd be surprised if that's true, it would make no sense from a cost perspective. But from what I heard they use a non-Stren supplier.

The Newmen spokes are definitely Stren. They or Cube act as a distributor for Stren's spokes - Vonoa is their branding of Stren spokes. Others in EU use them too (FFWD for example).
Chinacycling/Pandapodium specifically claims that CRW use 3rd generation of carbon spokes exclusively (they are even wider than common Stren spokes) and this is what distinguish them from others - they can use fewer spokes and still maintain stiffness and reliability while being more aero and more comfortable. So it is not some marketing renaming what others use, they specifically say their product is different.

I don´t know whether you can achieve the same quality with Stren spokes and it is just a matter of extra safety from others but they don´t use same spokes.
I am not sure which spokes Newmen use but from the picture they seem to be wider than what Farsports have, it might be just an optical illusion though...but Newmen weight limit is self confident at 130kgs.

toxin

by toxin

Joe certainly makes it sound like crw make their own spokes and that the strenght of the spokes comes from the round core, the flat outside is just for aero/looks

alanyu

by alanyu

RDY wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:43 am

RDXXX and their carbon spoke hubs are all made by Farsports themselves under h-works brand (they have their own factory)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com