Current gen carbon rim brake wheels in the Dolomites....

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
norman99

by norman99

I know this has been done to death, and I'll get a thousand opinions, but....

I've got the chance to ride the Sella Ronda (and hopefully more) in June, currently running second gen rim brake Winspace Hyper SEs, which I absolutely love.

I want to know if anyone else has ridden this area with similar wheels. I understand proper braking technique etc, etc, but I'm more interested in real world experiences, like traffic, which can compromise the descent.

Has anyone had any problems with the latest rim brake wheels? Surely the tech and materials/resins used have improved in the last 10 years?

Should I be concerned, just cautious, or confident?

tiz92

by tiz92

My girlfriend rides often around those mountains (also me but I have disc) and she is slow on descends, very slow.. she brakes a lot and weights 65 kg. I bought her some yishunbike carbon wheels, rim ofc and she rode them for around 10.000 in these areas and has absoltuely no problem so far. I wouldnt worry at all to be honest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GaBa

by GaBa

I do Maratona and then some riding, everything on Bora WTOs, with latex tubes. No problems, descents are such that you don't need to drag your brakes so you should not have any issues. I did "burn" latex tube on Istria300 though, descent from Skitača is very steep with closed turns. But don't worry about Dolomites, especially if you're not running latex tubes and even with them you will be fine.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Should be perfectly fine even with latex. Rim brake technology is where reputable Chinese companies have a pretty big advantage over western brands. The high temp resins they have access to are not legal in the U.S. for worker safety and environmental reasons. This is ok by me! My LB brake tracks are a thing of beauty and I use latex.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

stevesbike

by stevesbike

I use rim brakes at the Haute Route Alps and they are fine. Rode around the dolomites with spouse last summer - had to take some descents slower than normal and also fine. The Stelvio has a lot of traffic but drivers are generally good about getting out of the way as much as possible. I run tubeless about 80 psi.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

I have done Sella Ronda (and others in the Dolomites + Lombardia incl Stelvio) in extreme heat with carbon rim brake wheels, however tubular (Bora Ultra 35) without issues. Not so sure I would have felt safe in rim brake tubed clinchers to be honest.

nikospeed

by nikospeed

Crossed the Alps, did Cinglées de Ventoux and did some tours in South Tirol with Corima rim brake wheels and Aerothan TPU (more heat resistant than butyl) w/o any issue. Will do Sella Ronda with that setup in September this year year. 75kg "empty" rider weight. You should be fine 🙂

KRL

by KRL

What is the general view for tubless tyres and carbon rim brake wheels in the mountains? If anything might tubless be preferable as there is no tube to burst through overheating the rim?

MDecius

by MDecius

I tend to agree with that - removing the tube altogether is just one less vulnerable component to potentially fail because of heating. I’m running my WTO wheels tubeless and never had an issue in the mountains, even on long descents like the Stelvio, Nufenen, etc. But I don’t ride the brakes unless I have to, so maybe I would be singing a very different tune if I were descending 12-15% hills all the time.

One other thing with tubeless is it puts the rim/tire bead interface under a lot more pressure, and there is debate about whether braking heat can just cause the bead to explode off. See this article from Lenard Zinn: https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/roa ... -and-more/

Personally my conclusion about rim brakes and carbon wheels is “pick your poison”. You either run standard heavyweight butyl when going to the mountains or go tubeless and trust that the tire bead will be fine under breaking heat. So far I’m more comfortable with the latter because I have never heard or read any manufacturing warnings or cautions around it. But it’s just safer to run aluminum wheels on climbing days, but even that isn’t a guarantee of having no failures.
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

Greeners

by Greeners

I've ridden in the alps & pyrenees on Fulcrum carbon wheels with clinchers. No probs, I was a bit cautious initially on the first trip to alps, but I soon gained the confidence in the wheels/setup. Take spare pads if you are a cautious braker, but it's unlikely you'll rip through a new set in one trip. The AC3 brake track on Fulcrum/Campy wheels is as good as alu rims imo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octav

by octav

On carbon rim brake wheels since 2011, on Bora AC3 since they appeared no issues at all , each year I go 3 weeks in the alps and also here in Romania we have lots of big climbs / descents.
I would suggest going tubeless or 90gr butyl tubes if you are not good with the technique .
Otherwise, don't worry :)