How can a wheel like this pass QC?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Nickldn

by Nickldn

cleanneon98 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 11:58 am
I used to look at ENVE as a premium brand but after seeing a few of these posts and some old videos from Leutscher Technik on YouTube showing ENVEs full of voids compared to a Chinese carbon wheel, not so much anymore. Hard to take them seriously when it comes to their $5500 frames or $1200 cockpits with all of this newfound knowledge, have they gotten their act together or are they still churning out this kind of quality
Enve has recently been sold to an American private equity company.

Private equity is all about making a much money as possible using any means possible, including using the good name brands built up over the years to sell sub standard products after making cost cuts.

If Enve's new owners follow this path you can look forward to less QC and more price hikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

keep buying your chinese wheels then... if you think PE have no QC
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

alanyu

by alanyu

Typical Enve junk. Have seen a lot of cut rims, and Enve rims have the most voids inside, much worse than B-quality rims from some Chinese factories selling cheap.

serenadebikes

by serenadebikes

Just removed the production label,
If you have ideas for carbon fiber wheels, I’d love to share them with you.
https://www.serenadebikes.net/

ms6073

by ms6073

EtoDemerzel wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 8:41 pm
GravelFactor wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:50 pm
But not compensated for by Enve customer "service".
So Enve would not simply replace this wheel? Are you having to fight them on this?
I had a set of wheels built on the now discontinued Enve Twenty9 XC rims for which one rim had a similar issue with the plug for the bladder hole. Mine was not that bad and it worked fine when using tubes and clincher tires, but tubeless was really a non-starter on that wheel.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ms6073

by ms6073

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:02 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 12:46 am
I have never seen this much porosity on a new pair of ENVEs btw. My “factory blemished” ENVEs look pristine externally. I have never seen 15x100 TA as standard on ENVE road wheels. Either these were take-offs from some 2016 era custom bike or a special-order that has been sitting for as long.
15x100 is definatly not standard for road wheels.
Not currently, but when thru axle/disc frames first went mainstream, some manufacturers did 15x100 on the front. I had a KTM Revelator SKY frameset that was 15x100 front.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ms6073 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 5:26 pm
EtoDemerzel wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 8:41 pm
GravelFactor wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:50 pm
But not compensated for by Enve customer "service".
So Enve would not simply replace this wheel? Are you having to fight them on this?
I had a set of wheels built on the now discontinued Enve Twenty9 XC rims for which one rim had a similar issue with the plug for the bladder hole. Mine was not that bad and it worked fine when using tubes and clincher tires, but tubeless was really a non-starter on that wheel.
as I had a pair of those in the past.. they are only tubeless after a certain year, the early ones are a no anyways
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

AJS914

by AJS914

GravelFactor wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 9:43 pm
I chose one of the "old" wheelsets because my frame can not take wider tires than 25 mm
So, why not just get a refund from this shop? They can deal with Enve or sell them to someone else.

Farsports sells their "Classic" wheel which is 25mm wide, 18mm internal and works perfectly with an older frame and 25mm tires.

GravelFactor

by GravelFactor

Sometimes I would prefer a full refund due to this very poor quality and service level. But I am not entitled to a refund and I assume it would require that Enve compensates the shop accordingly (and front wheel has been used). The shop has the right to replace the wheel which could be a rebuild with a fresh rim but I dont know what will happen.

AJS914

by AJS914

It seems that if the shop sells you a defective wheel, then they should take it back straight away and refund your money unless they can exchange it.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

sounds like you purchased used wheels... if the shop has a good relationship with enve you might get lucky, if not then dont blame enve.. blame the shop. Warranty is for original purchaser.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

GravelFactor wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 9:55 pm
Sometimes I would prefer a full refund due to this very poor quality and service level. But I am not entitled to a refund and I assume it would require that Enve compensates the shop accordingly (and front wheel has been used). The shop has the right to replace the wheel which could be a rebuild with a fresh rim but I dont know what will happen.

Why would you not be entitled to a refund if you bought these as new from a reputable shop with a standard return policy? If this happened to me, my local ENVE dealer would accept the return with no questions asked.

ENVE still has stock of SES 5.6s too. They’d be able to send the shop a replacement set or send them a set of 6.7s instead.

GravelFactor

by GravelFactor

I live in Denmark and purchased the wheels at Velodrom in Barcelona, Spain. According to my knowledge of the EU legislation, I am not entitled to a refund. In EU the seller can repair or replace the faulty item.
And nothing on the Velodrom page says otherwise.

AJS914

by AJS914

First thing is to ask to the seller to take them back or send one without the defect. It doesn't matter what the technical rules are. Any good seller would take that back straight away.

Nereth

by Nereth

Fun. My enve 5.6s have a similar look - purchased 2019, but never caused an issue. Mine didn't lead to a big change in rim bed geometry though like it sounds like yours might.

That said, just to vent a bit, my Enve's also have what looks like a fatigue crack I contacted them about a couple months ago - 12 days out of the 5 year warranty (but that had existed for at least 6-12 months). They won't honour the warranty on that though because of the 12 days too late on reporting it thing.

Enve also won't respond to me on email about the issue. So I'm stuck dealing with the importer in my country (Australia) who most LBS's I talk to have told me, are terrible on warranty etc. And in my experience have no technical idea what they're talking about but just try to intimidate you away with strong wording.

I purchased Enve's in 2019 for the warranty and service, but that's not the experience I'm getting now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com