How can a wheel like this pass QC?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

Ignoring the big issue, I'm genuinely shocked at the finish of the rest of it.

Admittedly never had Enve wheels, but I've never seen a carbon wheel finished so poorly.

I'd be asking for my money back!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

well enve's have always looked kinda unfinished look.. they also have the lines/straitions (but not all of them)...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

GravelFactor

by GravelFactor

I bought the wheelset from a shop here in EU, so the warranty case should go through them. Initially I made the case in the ENVE system that directed me to the shop.
However, since this case is not a question of what has gone wrong and whos fault it is, I would expect that ENVE USA would acknowledge the fault (production error), jump in and get it efficiently solved. Instead I have to wait for the shop to handle it, apparently without help from Enve.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

That looks pretty average for the patch on an ENVE SES 5.6, which is an older product. The transition is smoother on later 5.6s and current SES wheels, but my circa 2017 5.6s and 7.8s look like that. With proper width tape riding up the sides of rim bed, I haven’t had issues seating tires.

Sounds like these are used wheels. There’s also evidence of delam on the edge of the rim, possibly from the rim cavity being pressurized.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Agree with THY.. the super old EDGE/Enve wheels the patch was horrid... My newer gen stuff.. 4.5AR, 2.3, 6.7 is done well.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

bobones

by bobones

mikehhhhhhh wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 5:10 pm
The state of the finish on that, I'm not surprised.

Cheap chinese wheel?
How wrong can you be?

I've just taken delivery of some actual cheap Chinese wheels and the quality and craftmanship on show puts these to shame. (£400 Elite Edge 1390g 45 deep 31 erw 24 irw hooked). Of course you wouldn't go near them because you only trust quality western brands like Zipp and Enve. :roll:

MagicShite

by MagicShite

jlok wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:33 pm
MagicShite wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 1:02 pm
is this an Enve?
I thought of the same at first, but judging from the access holes I think it is not Enve.
The awful surface finish which makes taping it hard reminded me of the terrible Enve I had to deal with in the past.

lol.

Voila, it is Enve.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have never seen this much porosity on a new pair of ENVEs btw. My “factory blemished” ENVEs look pristine externally. I have never seen 15x100 TA as standard on ENVE road wheels. Either these were take-offs from some 2016 era custom bike or a special-order that has been sitting for as long.
Attachments
IMG_6016.jpeg

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

bobones wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:29 pm
mikehhhhhhh wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 5:10 pm
The state of the finish on that, I'm not surprised.

Cheap chinese wheel?
How wrong can you be?

I've just taken delivery of some actual cheap Chinese wheels and the quality and craftmanship on show puts these to shame. (£400 Elite Edge 1390g 45 deep 31 erw 24 irw hooked). Of course you wouldn't go near them because you only trust quality western brands like Zipp and Enve. :roll:
My Zipps and Rovals are perfect.

But you're right, I wouldn't go near £400 carbon wheels. In fact, you couldn't pay me to ride them.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 12:46 am
I have never seen this much porosity on a new pair of ENVEs btw. My “factory blemished” ENVEs look pristine externally. I have never seen 15x100 TA as standard on ENVE road wheels. Either these were take-offs from some 2016 era custom bike or a special-order that has been sitting for as long.
the top dots.. hard to say.. could be dust
The patch is definately early enve days
the bottom dots look lie little chips on the rim edge.

15x100 is definatly not standard for road wheels.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

GravelFactor wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 9:35 pm
I bought the wheelset from a shop here in EU, so the warranty case should go through them. Initially I made the case in the ENVE system that directed me to the shop.
However, since this case is not a question of what has gone wrong and whos fault it is, I would expect that ENVE USA would acknowledge the fault (production error), jump in and get it efficiently solved. Instead I have to wait for the shop to handle it, apparently without help from Enve.
That's a pretty typical warranty process, you deal with the shop (they should be advocating for you not the brand), they deal with the distributor and the distributor deals with the brand. Maybe small companies will allow you to deal with them direct but bigger companies are generally much stricter on following the process

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TwiggyForest wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:13 am
GravelFactor wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 9:35 pm
That's a pretty typical warranty process, you deal with the shop (they should be advocating for you not the brand), they deal with the distributor and the distributor deals with the brand. Maybe small companies will allow you to deal with them direct but bigger companies are generally much stricter on following the process

It depends on the product, the failure and the circumstances for me. If I find a major QC issue on an ENVE wheel bought from a local retailer before every riding it, then I'll return it to the shop for a refund or exchange. If an ENVE wheel fails on my first ride, I favor going directly through ENVE to cut out the middle-man. For certain products like Zipp wheels, you cannot go through SRAM directly unless you make your case (no SRAM retail accounts nearby.)

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Search my dozens of posts around here somewhere detailing this. This is WAY past Edge Era, and extremely common in almost every 2013-2018 Enve rim I've dealt with, and I built a lot. Crumbling bead walls, stuck brass spoke hole plugs, huge sections of stiff bladder left throughout, bladder removal patches that were so proud the tire would radially hop, etc. Awful quality but in my opinion only.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

GravelFactor

by GravelFactor

I chose one of the "old" wheelsets because my frame can not take wider tires than 25 mm, I had read great reviews of the ride quality of the SES 5.6 and had expected a "high end" feeling. Naturally, that feeling has not really materialised.
I am aware that the warranty process begins at the seller of the wheels, but had expected Enve to help the shop since the error is so clearly from the production.
And I also know that I am not entitled to a refund (eventhough I sometimes would prefer that).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I used to look at ENVE as a premium brand but after seeing a few of these posts and some old videos from Leutscher Technik on YouTube showing ENVEs full of voids compared to a Chinese carbon wheel, not so much anymore. Hard to take them seriously when it comes to their $5500 frames or $1200 cockpits with all of this newfound knowledge, have they gotten their act together or are they still churning out this kind of quality
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight