How can a wheel like this pass QC?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
GravelFactor

by GravelFactor

I have a rear wheel where it was impossible to get a tubeless tire (GP5000) to seal (hooked rim). After inspection, I found that part of the bead was not shaped correctly, see picture.
I have started a warranty case with the seller.

I am shocked that this rim can pass QC and go into wheel production. Have anybody experienced something like this?
IMG_0139.jpeg
[/img]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

No, and I work at a shop so I see a lot of rims. What is it?

MagicShite

by MagicShite

is this an Enve?

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

I'm surprised you didn't notice that when you were mounting the tyre.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

Why are you hiding the brand? If it is a big brand name, surely it would be a service to others on the forum to know that brand has poor QC. If it is some ultra cheap aliexpress wheel, then I guess it is to be expected.

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

It looks like a very poorly executed construction to make up for the weight of the valve on the other side of the wheel? But it's indeed to close to where the bead is supposed to sit.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

That looks like it was damaged and sloppy repair

jlok

by jlok

MagicShite wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 1:02 pm
is this an Enve?
I thought of the same at first, but judging from the access holes I think it is not Enve.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Don't have to worry about passing QC if you don't do it, is my guess
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

The state of the finish on that, I'm not surprised.

Cheap chinese wheel?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

EtoDemerzel wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:29 pm
That looks like it was damaged and sloppy repair
That's a patch where there's a hole in the initial layup to remove the bladder. The patch was installed sloppily.

GravelFactor

by GravelFactor

Hello everyone,
I just blinded the wheel to avoid a brand bashing. But since it has been guessed, I'll say that the wheel is a new Enve SES 5.6.
I didnt notice the fault because a mechanic mounted the rim tape before I mounted the tire.
To make things worse, the front wheel had two faults: 1) 15 mm end caps were mounted which took a long to get replaced, 2) a large piece of green bladder was left inside the rim. Luckily it flipped so I could pull it out. Otherwise that alone had been a warranty case. Unrelated faults but only possible due to completely inadequate QC. But not compensated for by Enve customer "service".

toxin

by toxin

mikehhhhhhh wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 5:10 pm
The state of the finish on that, I'm not surprised.

Cheap chinese wheel?
Lol

Jaisen

by Jaisen

GravelFactor wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:50 pm
Hello everyone,
I just blinded the wheel to avoid a brand bashing. But since it has been guessed, I'll say that the wheel is a new Enve SES 5.6.
I didnt notice the fault because a mechanic mounted the rim tape before I mounted the tire.
To make things worse, the front wheel had two faults: 1) 15 mm end caps were mounted which took a long to get replaced, 2) a large piece of green bladder was left inside the rim. Luckily it flipped so I could pull it out. Otherwise that alone had been a warranty case. Unrelated faults but only possible due to completely inadequate QC. But not compensated for by Enve customer "service".
Thanks for sharing this additional information. This is rather disappointing from Enve, I honestly would have expected much better from the brand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

GravelFactor wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:50 pm
But not compensated for by Enve customer "service".
So Enve would not simply replace this wheel? Are you having to fight them on this?