New Scope wheels

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Matte86

by Matte86

C36 wrote:
Matte86 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:49 am
C36 wrote:Yes, they were the road versions with 23mm IW. I can try to get the gravel version weight if interested.
Yes please
I couldn't get the weights, I suspect those wheels are comming latter (announced end of may versus next week for the "std ones").

Now trying to read between the lines, from the description the only difference are the rims
- A2: 965g /A2A: 990g -> 13g max per rim -> 318g
- A4: 1120 / A4A: 1200 -> 40g max per rim -> 427g
- A6: 1244 / A6A: 1319 -> 38g max per rim -> 485g
Thanks!

Terrordact

by Terrordact

These look perfect. I look forward to hearing real world reviews.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Terrordact

by Terrordact

Is anyone riding these yet that can give feedback? I snapped some spokes on my ride yesterday and it's possible new wheels are in my future, but can't find any real world reviews online.

Steadimann

by Steadimann

not yet delivering, end of june eta.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Mine are on order. Went for the 45 all road ones
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Matilda - Ti/Carbon Race TBC
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Steadimann

by Steadimann

CustomMetal wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 11:01 am
Mine are on order. Went for the 45 all road ones
let us know when you get them!

CogInTheMachine

by CogInTheMachine

I haven't posted here in many years, so forgive any glitches, but now I have something to contribute again.
IMG_2203.JPG
Summary
My Scope Artech 6 weigh 1268g with valves and tape. They're exactly as I expected: noticeably lighter, probably faster, just as comfortable, and slightly harder to handle than the Bontrager RSL 51 from which I switched.
road.jpg
Ordering to Delivery
I ordered these on March 18th. After numerous delivery promises being broken I asked for a refund on May 30th, and received a tracking number the next day. I guess the squeaky wheel gets the wheel, in this case. The wheels arrived on June 4th, with a surprise $450 due (not exactly "free" shipping, but I guess Americans shouldn't whine about duties given our low-tax government). Even delayed delivery is a huge improvement over the Syncros Capital SL Aero I ordered last fall, but that turn out to be complete vaporware.
posed.jpg
Initial Ride Impressions
I find first impressions valuable comparison, but also irrelevant once I become accustomed to new equipment. I've only ridden the Scope three times (totaling 182.64km with 2,555m of elevation gain), so consider this a very initial impression.

The first thing I noticed about the Scope wheels was how much lighter they are than the Bontrager RSL 51 mounted with Challenge Criterium RS 28s that I switched from. Losing over 277g from wheels feels so good! Before this year I've been riding a Cervelo R5/R3 for the past 18 years, mostly recently shod with Roval CLX 50 (rim-brake 1372g, 21mm int. 28mm ext.). Since getting my current Cannondale SuperSix Evo4 with Bontrager RSL 51 wheels (same 23mm int. 31mm ext. as the Scope but 1495g) I've been wondering how much of the different feel between bikes is due to the weight of the wheels. The Scope wheels make the Cannondale noticeably more fun to accelerate, whether on flats or hills. It still isn't as lively, sparky, jumpy (or whatever you call that) as the Cervelo, but it is better. I know aero is more important than weight for real speed, but weight is very apparent.

The second thing I noticed is that the Scope wheels are harder to handle than the RSL 51, which didn't surprise me given the 14mm of additional depth without any increase in width. I haven't ridden such deep wheels since a demo day with Zipp 808 Firecrest on the Cervelo R3 many years ago, so I'm just not used to them yet. I'm not just talking about sidewinds. Without any wind to speak of the Scope wheels make it harder to corner tightly at speed, and they wander a little more in a straight line. The wandering may be an artifact of lower inertia, as I've found that heavier wheels are more stable in a straight line. The Zipp 808 were great that way, but pigs to accelerate or haul up hills. I had calm to 20km/h winds for my three rides on the Scope. They react more to wind than the RSL 51, but are well behaved for their depth. The gusts push them in a predictable and controllable manner, so that I felt that I was steering to compensate but not being blown off course. I did find a major handling problem, but don't know whether to blame the Scope wheels. Descending at 64kph I got the worst speed wobble I've every experienced. I once had a speed wobble on the RSL 51, so it is not just the Scope wheels, but it was worse on the Scope, which I assume was related to depth and weight. Checking the front wheel afterwards, the balance is off by 5g, so I will try adding a 5g weight and re-testing. I guess it makes sense that a longer valve stem unbalances the weight more than shorter valve stem. I think that these handling issues are more about me learning to handle the wheels than any criticism of the wheels. I just think that 65mm-deep wheels are a different creature than 50mm-deep wheels, just as those are very different than the 24mm-deep Dura-Ace WH9000 wheels I also had on the Cervelo.

Now on to the benefit of deeper wheels. I fully acknowledge confirmation bias, given how excited I am to have these dream wheels on my dream bike, all of which is new this year (so fully doped with the fairy dust that creates new-bike bounce). That said, they fly! I haven't done any pseudo-scientific testing because I do rationally understand that I'd be much faster if I lost weight and did yoga rather than buying excessively-expensive toys. I don't care, these wheels made me so much faster! I won the club TT and was still so excited that I set two segment PRs riding home. Every ride with the Scope wheels I've set PRs. Long may it continue! Okay, seriously, they do feel and sound fast which provides the motivation to ride fast. The combination of aero and light is just so fun! Like the Cannondale, there's really little compromise left between aero and weight. The Scope wheels are lighter and more aero than any wheel I've every ridden, and they feel it. It is delightful to fly around the flats and then attack a hill while feeling like I'm using the optimal wheel for both.

If you like the sound of aero carbon wheels these will please you. They're great resonators, amplifying the sound of wind, surface texture, grit sticking to the tires, etc. In fact, they show up any noises anywhere on the bike, such as shifting clicks, drivetrain noise, tool bag rattles. Somehow they even seem to make aerodynamics changes obvious. I've never noticed such a different sound while tucking in my elbows or tilting my head. I don't quite understand how that all becomes so loud, but the upside is that it is easier to find the best aero position. When my elbows drift out the wheels chastise me loudly. I personally like quiet bikes, so the noise doesn't entirely please me, but I'm not shocked to have more noise with deeper wheels made out of thinner carbon. I'll get used to it, just as I did going from 24mm aluminum to 50mm carbon wheels.

The Scope wheels are as comfortable as the RSL 51, at least as far as I've noticed given the imperfect comparison (different tires and not switching back and forth between wheels). I'd guess that the Scope are not quite as stiff as the RSL 51, but I can't be confident about that without further testing, and I have absolutely no motivation to remove the Scope from my bike. They're so fun!

That said, I do need to remove them to correct a few issues. The freehub is distressingly loud, even in comparison with the DT Swiss 240 EXP on the RSL, which is much louder than the DT Swiss 180 (non EXP) on the Roval CLX, which is louder than the Shimano pawled freehub. The Scope freehub is so loud that my ears hurt and I try my best to avoid freewheeling. Hopefully they will quiet down as they break in and/or I can shut them up by adding more grease as I do on the DT Swiss freehubs.

There's also something loose rattling around inside the front wheel. I didn't put it there, so annoyingly I will have to remove the tubeless tape and try to get it to fall out of the valve hole. It would have been nice if Scope had noticed and corrected this before shipping them, but I expect they're overworked trying to fulfill their backlog of orders. So there's a pain of a job with slight additional expense of needing new tape immediately. I guess I can add the 5g balancing weight inside (after testing it externally) while I have them unmounted.

Context
For context, I'm a middle-aged man of modest power without much of a sprint left (although I try on every town line) and always comparatively better on hills even though I'm fat: 1.73m tall and 77kg (7kg above racing weight) with an FTP ~4.0 w/kg. I've raced since high school, but never made it above Cat 4 and nowadays only race my friends in group rides or on Strava. I've ridden "all-road" on a road bike my whole life because I live in the rural hills where dirt roads are common and logging roads are beautiful. I've raced since 19mm tubulars were the thing (error), raced gravel on 23mm tubed (error), and love tubeless primary for the lack of pinch flats. I run tubeless 28 tires at 50-75psi depending on the surface of the road I'm aiming for. I've always found wheels my favorite upgrade, and have had many of them. I was a mediocre professional mechanic, but am much more skilled as an amateur weenie. I assume I'll find some understanding here.

Unboxing
The packaging was nicely protective and the presentation was pleasing, almost as good as Devialet or Apple, so I'll share the joy:
box.jpg
boxes.jpg
bags.jpg
The toiletry bag contains a cleaning cloth, cleaning spray, and a t-handle 5.5mm hex key for truing the spokes. Unfortunately the hidden nipples must be trued by removing the tire and rim tape, so I hope they never need truing. Also, I assumed that "Carbonlite Aerospokes spoke & nipple key" meant that a spare spoke would be included, but it is nowhere to be found so I guess the tool is a "spoke and nipple key".

Proof of Weight
My scale is only accurate to 0.5g. Weighed as they arrived, taped and with tubeless valve stems installed:
frontW.jpg
rear.jpg
Mounting
I got them the same day as our club TT series, so was too excited to do anything beyond weighing them before mounting them up. I initially put a Conti 5000 TT 28 on the front, but it protruded beyond the rim, so I switched it to the rear and put a 25 on the front (which is nicely flush). The 25 inflated to 28.2mm and the 28 inflated to 31.2mm at 70psi, and remain so a few days later. For comparison, the same Conti 5000 TT 25 inflated to 27.0mm on my RSL 51 wheel, which shares the width dimensions of the Scope (23mm internal and 31mm external). All three mountings went easily. I was able to seat the tires with valves installed, while my other wheels have required removing the valves to push more air through the valve stem. Deflating the 28, it stayed locked to the beads without air pressure, but was very easy to pop off to remove.

Details
I chose black logos. The decals are all under clearcoat, so I can't easily remove them. I was concerned that the decals wouldn't conform to the fish scales, and that is the case. Pressing on the decals, they move a little where the decal has air between it and the scales. On the other hand, I was concerned that the scales would be silly looking. They're more subtle than I expected, but perfectly noticable. They certainly are harder to clean than smooth rims. When mounting tubeless tires I got some sealant on the rim, and it took a bit of rubbing to get it off. We'll see how dirt collects, but I think I'll need to clean them with a brush instead of a cloth.

In one picture on the Scope website the spokes have branding printed on them, but thankfully they don't in reality. I measure the spokes at 4.1mm x 1.2mm. The spokes do have some markings, incase anyone can identify them:
spoke.jpg
The hub end caps pull off more easily than DT Swiss but seem well attached (so better designed). I paid for the CeramicSpeed bearings (going full silly). There's no sealing, just no-contact shields, so I expect these to be as allergic to water as my Roval CLX. We'll see, but I had very bad luck keeping the CeramicSpeed bearings rolling smoothly in the CLX anytime I rode in wetness. Others have a much better experience with water sealing, so I don't know what my problem is. I hate riding in rain and I guess my wheels agree with me.
bearing.jpg
Okay, that's all I think of so far. I'm happy to answer any questions.
Last edited by CogInTheMachine on Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeMillion

by LeMillion

Wow, so much to unpack and it's great to see someone with a set in their hand! Disappointed about the logos being able to shift given there are ways to make it perfect on their end. I've been holding off on placing an order of the artech 4 until hearing experiences for a second bike I'm building (also a supersix evo4). I wonder if a non-logo request could be made.

Just to clarify, the 450 was the customs duty for the U.S. correct? I find it interesting that the 28s protruded beyond the rim and through it would've been perfect given the dimensions and the fact Scope says it's "aero optimized for 28s."

CogInTheMachine

by CogInTheMachine

Correct, USD $452.57 due to UPS upon delivery. I don't object to paying my fair share of taxes, but it would have been nice to be told about the 10% tariff when making the purchasing decision instead of when the wheels were sitting in front of me making puppy eyes. No tariff on the Syncros, but no delivery either, so I guess I still win.

Yes, just think of the 0.000001W I'm losing at >15º yaw with those smooth stickers not quite conforming to the fish scales! The shame! To clarify, I only mean the rectangular sticker opposite the valve. The big "Scope" lettering is better because each letter is smaller and thus more conforming, although still a sticker instead of the superior printing like Bontrager, Zipp, etc.

Aerodynamics are more complicated than eyeballs can measure, and actual tire width varies a lot by brand, so I can believe that some 28 tire is fastest on this 31mm rim when taking into account aerodynamics and rolling resistance. However, my eyeballs think that the 25 Conti 5000 TT looks more aero than the 28. I also think that it makes sense to have a wider tire on the rear where there's more of my weight and less aero penalty. That's why I liked the Syncros rear rim being wider. If I could have an Artech 6 front and 6.A rear I would, but Scope wouldn't sell that combo (at least until they catch up to preorders).

Rear with 28 (note the larger gap between the widest point of the tire and rim):
rear_gap.jpg
Front with 25 (and less gap):
front_gap.jpg
Last edited by CogInTheMachine on Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matte86

by Matte86

Thanks for the detailed review!
Looking forward for more feedbacks when you log more miles with them

Terrordact

by Terrordact

CogInTheMachine wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:56 pm
I haven't posted here in many years, so forgive any glitches, but now I have something to contribute again.

IMG_2203.JPG

Summary
My Scope Artech 6 weigh 1268g with valves and tape. They're exactly as I expected: noticeably lighter, probably faster, just as comfortable, and slightly harder to handle than the Bontrager RSL 51 from which I switched.

road.jpg

Ordering to Delivery
I ordered these on March 18th. After numerous delivery promises being broken I asked for a refund on May 30th, and received a tracking number the next day. I guess the squeaky wheel gets the wheel, in this case. The wheels arrived on June 4th, with a surprise $450 due (not exactly "free" shipping, but I guess Americans shouldn't whine about duties given our low-tax government). Even delayed delivery is a huge improvement over the Syncros Capital SL Aero I ordered last fall, but that turn out to be complete vaporware.

posed.jpg

Initial Ride Impressions
I find first impressions valuable comparison, but also irrelevant once I become accustomed to new equipment. I've only ridden the Scope three times (totaling 182.64km with 2,555m of elevation gain), so consider this a very initial impression.

The first thing I noticed about the Scope wheels was how much lighter they are than the Bontrager RSL 51 mounted with Challenge Criterium RS 28s that I switched from. Losing over 277g from wheels feels so good! Before this year I've been riding a Cervelo R5/R3 for the past 18 years, mostly recently shod with Roval CLX 50 (rim-brake 1372g, 21mm int. 28mm ext.). Since getting my current Cannondale SuperSix Evo4 with Bontrager RSL 51 wheels (same 23mm int. 31mm ext. as the Scope but 1495g) I've been wondering how much of the different feel between bikes is due to the weight of the wheels. The Scope wheels make the Cannondale noticeably more fun to accelerate, whether on flats or hills. It still isn't as lively, sparky, jumpy (or whatever you call that) as the Cervelo, but it is better. I know aero is more important than weight for real speed, but weight is very apparent.

The second thing I noticed is that the Scope wheels are harder to handle than the RSL 51, which didn't surprise me given the 14mm of additional depth without any increase in width. I haven't ridden such deep wheels since a demo day with Zipp 808 Firecrest on the Cervelo R3 many years ago, so I'm just not used to them yet. I'm not just talking about sidewinds. Without any wind to speak of the Scope wheels make it harder to corner tightly at speed, and they wander a little more in a straight line. The wandering may be an artifact of lower inertia, as I've found that heavier wheels are more stable in a straight line. The Zipp 808 were great that way, but pigs to accelerate or haul up hills. I had calm to 20km/h winds for my three rides on the Scope. They react more to wind than the RSL 51, but are well behaved for their depth. The gusts push them in a predictable and controllable manner, so that I felt that I was steering to compensate but not being blown off course. I did find a major handling problem, but don't know whether to blame the Scope wheels. Descending at 64kph I got the worst speed wobble I've every experienced. I once had a speed wobble on the RSL 51, so it is not just the Scope wheels, but it was worse on the Scope, which I assume was related to depth and weight. Checking the front wheel afterwards, the balance is off by 5g, so I will try adding a 5g weight and re-testing. I guess it makes sense that a longer valve stem unbalances the weight more than shorter valve stem. I think that these handling issues are more about me learning to handle the wheels than any criticism of the wheels. I just think that 65mm-deep wheels are a different creature than 50mm-deep wheels, just as those are very different than the 24mm-deep Dura-Ace WH9000 wheels I also had on the Cervelo.

Now on to the benefit of deeper wheels. I fully acknowledge confirmation bias, given how excited I am to have these dream wheels on my dream bike, all of which is new this year (so fully doped with the fairy dust that creates new-bike bounce). That said, they fly! I haven't done any pseudo-scientific testing because I do rationally understand that I'd be much faster if I lost weight and did yoga rather than buying excessively-expensive toys. I don't care, these wheels made me so much faster! I won the club TT and was still so excited that I set two segment PRs riding home. Every ride with the Scope wheels I've set PRs. Long may it continue! Okay, seriously, they do feel and sound fast which provides the motivation to ride fast. The combination of aero and light is just so fun! Like the Cannondale, there's really little compromise left between aero and weight. The Scope wheels are lighter and more aero than any wheel I've every ridden, and they feel it. It is delightful to fly around the flats and then attack a hill while feeling like I'm using the optimal wheel for both.

If you like the sound of aero carbon wheels these will please you. They're great resonators, amplifying the sound of wind, surface texture, grit sticking to the tires, etc. In fact, they show up any noises anywhere on the bike, such as shifting clicks, drivetrain noise, tool bag rattles. Somehow they even seem to make aerodynamics changes obvious. I've never noticed such a different sound while tucking in my elbows or tilting my head. I don't quite understand how that all becomes so loud, but the upside is that it is easier to find the best aero position. When my elbows drift out the wheels chastise me loudly. I personally like quiet bikes, so the noise doesn't entirely please me, but I'm not shocked to have more noise with deeper wheels made out of thinner carbon. I'll get used to it, just as I did going from 24mm aluminum to 50mm carbon wheels.

The Scope wheels are as comfortable as the RSL 51, at least as far as I've noticed given the imperfect comparison (different tires and not switching back and forth between wheels). I'd guess that the Scope are not quite as stiff as the RSL 51, but I can't be confident about that without further testing, and I have absolutely no motivation to remove the Scope from my bike. They're so fun!

That said, I do need to remove them to correct a few issues. The freehub is distressingly loud, even in comparison with the DT Swiss 240 EXP on the RSL, which is much louder than the DT Swiss 180 (non EXP) on the Roval CLX, which is louder than the Shimano pawled freehub. The Scope freehub is so loud that my ears hurt and I try my best to avoid freewheeling. Hopefully they will quiet down as they break in and/or I can shut them up by adding more grease as I do on the DT Swiss freehubs.

There's also something loose rattling around inside the front wheel. I didn't put it there, so annoyingly I will have to remove the tubeless tape and try to get it to fall out of the valve hole. It would have been nice if Scope had noticed and corrected this before shipping them, but I expect they're overworked trying to fulfill their backlog of orders. So there's a pain of a job with slight additional expense of needing new tape immediately. I guess I can add the 5g balancing weight inside (after testing it externally) while I have them unmounted.

Context
For context, I'm a middle-aged man of modest power without much of a sprint left (although I try on every town line) and always comparatively better on hills even though I'm fat: 1.73m tall and 77kg (7kg above racing weight) with an FTP ~4.0 w/kg. I've raced since high school, but never made it above Cat 4 and nowadays only race my friends in group rides or on Strava. I've ridden "all-road" on a road bike my whole life because I live in the rural hills where dirt roads are common and logging roads are beautiful. I've raced since 19mm tubulars were the thing (error), raced gravel on 23mm tubed (error), and love tubeless primary for the lack of pinch flats. I run tubeless 28 tires at 50-75psi depending on the surface of the road I'm aiming for. I've always found wheels my favorite upgrade, and have had many of them. I was a mediocre professional mechanic, but am much more skilled as an amateur weenie. I assume I'll find some understanding here.

Unboxing
The packaging was nicely protective and the presentation was pleasing, almost as good as Devialet or Apple, so I'll share the joy:

box.jpg
boxes.jpg
bags.jpg
The toiletry bag contains a cleaning cloth, cleaning spray, and a t-handle 5.5mm hex key for truing the spokes. Unfortunately the hidden nipples must be trued by removing the tire and rim tape, so I hope they never need truing.

Proof of Weight
My scale is only accurate to 0.5g. Weighed as they arrived, taped and with tubeless valve stems installed:

frontW.jpg
rear.jpg

Mounting
I got them the same day as our club TT series, so was too excited to do anything beyond weighing them before mounting them up. I initially put a Conti 5000 TT 28 on the front, but it protruded beyond the rim, so I switched it to the rear and put a 25 on the front (which is nicely flush). The 25 inflated to 28.2mm and the 28 inflated to 31.2mm at 70psi, and remain so a few days later. For comparison, the same Conti 5000 TT 25 inflated to 27.0mm on my RSL 51 wheel, which shares the width dimensions of the Scope (23mm internal and 31mm external). All three mountings went easily. I was able to seat the tires with valves installed, while my other wheels have required removing the valves to push more air through the valve stem. Deflating the 28, it stayed locked to the beads without air pressure, but was very easy to pop off to remove.

Details
I chose black logos. The decals are all under clearcoat, so I can't easily remove them. I was concerned that the decals wouldn't conform to the fish scales, and that is the case. Pressing on the decals, they move a little where the decal has air between it and the scales. On the other hand, I was concerned that the scales would be silly looking. They're more subtle than I expected, but perfectly noticable. They certainly are harder to clean than smooth rims. When mounting tubeless tires I got some sealant on the rim, and it took a bit of rubbing to get it off. We'll see how dirt collects, but I think I'll need to clean them with a brush instead of a cloth.

In one picture on the Scope website the spokes have branding printed on them, but thankfully they don't in reality. I measure the spokes at 4.1mm x 1.2mm. The spokes do have some markings, incase anyone can identify them:

spoke.jpg

The hub end caps pull off more easily than DT Swiss but seem well attached (so better designed). I paid for the CeramicSpeed bearings (going full silly). There's no sealing, just no-contact shields, so I expect these to be as allergic to water as my Roval CLX. We'll see, but I had very bad luck keeping the CeramicSpeed bearings rolling smoothly in the CLX anytime I rode in wetness. Others have a much better experience with water sealing, so I don't know what my problem is. I hate riding in rain and I guess my wheels agree with me.

bearing.jpg

Okay, that's all I think of so far. I'm happy to answer any questions.
Thank you for the thorough review! I am considering doing a "dream build" that may also be a SSE4 and scope wheels, although I was leaning towards the 4's instead of the 6's. Your statement that they aren't as stiff as others is a little concerning, as well as the cornering issues, as those are the two specific areas I'm looking for improvement over my current set. Losing 4-500 grams at the wheels is just awfully tempting though...

Please update us as you put more miles on!

LeMillion

by LeMillion

CogInTheMachine wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:23 pm
Correct, USD $452.57 due to UPS upon delivery. I don't object to paying my fair share of taxes, but it would have been nice to be told about the 10% tariff when making the purchasing decision instead of when the wheels were sitting in front of me making puppy eyes. No tariff on the Syncros, but no delivery either, so I guess I still win.

Yes, just think of the 0.000001W I'm losing at >15º yaw with those smooth stickers not quite conforming to the fish scales! The shame! To clarify, I only mean the rectangular sticker opposite the valve. The big "Scope" lettering is better because each letter is smaller and thus more conforming, although still a sticker instead of the superior printing like Bontrager, Zipp, etc.

Aerodynamics are more complicated than eyeballs can measure, and actual tire width varies a lot by brand, so I can believe that some 28 tire is fastest on this 31mm rim when taking into account aerodynamics and rolling resistance. However, my eyeballs think that the 25 Conti 5000 TT looks more aero than the 28. I also think that it makes sense to have a wider tire on the rear where there's more of my weight and less aero penalty. That's why I liked the Syncros rear rim being wider. If I could have an Artech 6 front and 6.A rear I would, but Scope wouldn't sell that combo (at least until they catch up to preorders).

Rear with 28 (note the larger gap between the widest point of the tire and rim): rear_gap.jpg
Front with 25 (and less gap): front_gap.jpg
Thanks for the clarification! I agree it would be great to know ahead of time. Syncros wheels are not an option for me due to them being hookless. Looking forward to hearing more as you continue riding.

CogInTheMachine

by CogInTheMachine

I'm up to 446km.

Today, in 22.5kph gusty wind, the Artech 6 wheels were a handful when the wind swirled or gusted from the side. On the other hand they were very fun with wind from the rear quarter, and felt effective at cutting through headwinds. I feel more sailing effect than on my RSL 51 wheels, which is wonderful. However, overall I am still struggling with the handling, and today I was wishing that I had chosen the Artech 4. I did add a 5g weight, which balances the front wheel but hasn't made a noticeable improvement in handling.

I am getting better at cornering with them, but still notice that it takes more force, lean, and counter-steering.

A squirrel darted under my front wheel at high speed (both it and me) and both of us came through okay, so they handle that situation well. Maybe having less space for catching rodents in the spokes is an advantage of the 6 over the 4.

I'm getting used to the rim noise more quickly than the handling, but the freehub is still hurting my ears (and making my friends complain). I haven't yet fussed with it, am just letting it wear in and hoping that it gets less obnoxious with time.

The motivation hasn't worn off at all. I've set PRs every day. They're definitely fast wheels, but I notice the low weight more than the aerodynamics. All of my PRs have been climbs, not descents, so the Artech 4 might be even better.

LeMillion

by LeMillion

CogInTheMachine wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:02 am
I'm up to 446km.

Today, in 22.5kph gusty wind, the Artech 6 wheels were a handful when the wind swirled or gusted from the side. On the other hand they were very fun with wind from the rear quarter, and felt effective at cutting through headwinds. I feel more sailing effect than on my RSL 51 wheels, which is wonderful. However, overall I am still struggling with the handling, and today I was wishing that I had chosen the Artech 4. I did add a 5g weight, which balances the front wheel but hasn't made a noticeable improvement in handling.

I am getting better at cornering with them, but still notice that it takes more force, lean, and counter-steering.

A squirrel darted under my front wheel at high speed (both it and me) and both of us came through okay, so they handle that situation well. Maybe having less space for catching rodents in the spokes is an advantage of the 6 over the 4.

I'm getting used to the rim noise more quickly than the handling, but the freehub is still hurting my ears (and making my friends complain). I haven't yet fussed with it, am just letting it wear in and hoping that it gets less obnoxious with time.

The motivation hasn't worn off at all. I've set PRs every day. They're definitely fast wheels, but I notice the low weight more than the aerodynamics. All of my PRs have been climbs, not descents, so the Artech 4 might be even better.
Would it be possible to upload a free hub sound on YouTube? Curious to hear what it sounds like

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Nice review. I like the insane loud hubs. I have tactics and everyone notices them. My cycling buddies complain when riding behind. I can't be bothered really. I don't need a bell to warn fellow cyclist here in Belgium.
I would buy the in an instant if they had 55mm high wheels. I ride 52/62 reserve wheels and love them on my sse4.
I really don't know why people complain but I ride them I strong winds. Only in mountainous areas I would opt for lower if windy as descents make the slightest shift and speed going wide a lot.
As they are located more or less 40km from my door I will inquire them if they ever intent to make an artech5. For me those are the optimum.
65 in the front as you say is quite a handful. I would go 45/55 or 55/65 if ever possible 😅

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com