Bora Ultra Aftermarket Spoke Replacement

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
OCSlick

by OCSlick

I picked up a pair of Campagnolo Bora Ultra 35s from 2018 and a couple of the spoke nipples have seized. The availability of the replacement spokes for these wheels is super low and even Campagnolo North America doesn't have them available. Are there any aftermarket spokes and nipples that would be compatible? If so, maybe I could get lucky and swap the nipples all over to brass instead of alloy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OCSlick

by OCSlick

Finding more information in this quest to make sure I can service these wheels as Campagnolo is no longer producing the required replacement spokes.

Found some older tech documentation on spoke length. Very little on the nipple specs and thread. I am wondering if I get some Sapim CX-Ray cut to the proper length if I could use some more standard brass nipples. Does anyone know if the rim itself would take a different nipple?

Spoke Lengths are 276.5mm for rear left and front right/left + 275mm for rear right drive side. G3 lace on the rear.

Nipple information: kind of section / mm: squared 3.9mm . Not sure what the specs there refer to.
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 8.50.12 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 8.50.24 AM.png

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

You should be able to use any 2.0 aluminum nipple. I recommend dt swiss prolock hex, so you can install from the underside and not stress nipple wrench flats. I also believe any straight pull bladed spoke will work fine in these hubs. Again dt aerolite is my suggestion. Sapim has equivalent but I've never chosen them.
If you don't feel comfortable take it to any wheelbuilder.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

OCSlick

by OCSlick

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:32 am
You should be able to use any 2.0 aluminum nipple. I recommend dt swiss prolock hex, so you can install from the underside and not stress nipple wrench flats. I also believe any straight pull bladed spoke will work fine in these hubs. Again dt aerolite is my suggestion. Sapim has equivalent but I've never chosen them.
If you don't feel comfortable take it to any wheelbuilder.
Any reason you wouldn't recommend brass nipples?

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Nope. Other than those wheels were originally built with aluminum and I personally like aluminum. You can use brass.

OCSlick

by OCSlick

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:44 pm
Nope. Other than those wheels were originally built with aluminum and I personally like aluminum. You can use brass.
Ok that makes sense. Here is a picture of the original nipples, someone else said they thought the nipple/rim combo might be proprietary.
IMG_1195.jpeg
IMG_1195.jpeg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 807 times

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Use nipple washers. They will conform to the layup of the rim bed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com