ENVE SES Race Day tires

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 7:40 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 5:24 am

still in route to me :( good luck at dash4$

I just mounted them for that very race.

Quick findings: Very slight feeling tire indeed. Easy to fit over the rim. Just like Tufo Comtura Primas, there’s no way these will seat with a floor pump and just two layers of most tapes. I used my AirShot canister and the tires seated without issues with louder pings than any other tires.

Initial measurements are around 30.5mm @ 60psi on 23mm internal ENVEs. I’m not quite sure how BRR got 29.9mm out of the same tire on 17.8mm rims unless the tire casing is super stretchy. Then again his casing width measurement was 4mm wider than mine to begin with…strange.
Thanks for sharing. Interesting how different your size measurements are compared to BRR.

How wide were your Primas (if 28mm) on that rim?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

THY : so what did you think of them after todays crit.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:04 am

They performed well, I didn’t (been a rough spring for me with various ailments.) I averaged 28.4mph@183W.

I ran 56/58psi, had no traction issues accelerating out of corners, which is the only thing other than comfort I would have noticed today. If they hold up to abuse, then I’m going to stick to them for racing.

Matte86

by Matte86

TobinHatesYou wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:04 am

They performed well, I didn’t (been a rough spring for me with various ailments.) I averaged 28.4mph@183W.

I ran 56/58psi, had no traction issues accelerating out of corners, which is the only thing other than comfort I would have noticed today. If they hold up to abuse, then I’m going to stick to them for racing.
Thanks for sharing
How would you compare them to the GP5000 TT?
Which characteristics do they have to make you consider to stick with them for racing?
Thanks

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:56 pm

Thanks for sharing. Interesting how different your size measurements are compared to BRR.

How wide were your Primas (if 28mm) on that rim?

The Comtura Prima are on my LB WR50 (25mm) and measure 32.4mm @ 60psi. My case/tread measurements for these are closer to Jarno's: 37/75mm vs 38/76mm
The SES Racedays now measure 31.2mm on 23mm rims. I measured a second unmounted tire and the case/tread measurements were the same as before 35/72mm

Matte86 wrote: Thanks for sharing
How would you compare them to the GP5000 TT?
Which characteristics do they have to make you consider to stick with them for racing?
Thanks

I trust BRR's grip rankings and the rubber just feels tackier in-hand.

The wider tread cap *should* provide additional puncture protection when running over small sharp rocks or similar debris.

More supple...maybe? I need more time on the tire and on rougher roads.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Enve's post about the tires are a bit confusing: https://enve.com/blogs/journal/behind-t ... -day-tires

"Utilizing a tire that has added puncture protection along with the aid of tubeless sealant is your best defense in these situations. It is however, extra weight - and rotational weight is what’s felt the most. By removing that extra 50g of puncture protection, we gain the following performance benefits"

But then later "Fortunately, we were able to achieve this feat without compromises to the compound or removal of those puncture protection layers."

So is the first statement generic but these tires have the same Vectran belt as the Prima? The product page is lacking a lot of details and makes no me tion of this at all.

I've been very impressed with the Prima as time goes on. Way more durable and puncture resistant than I was expecting at that weight and the early comments about limited longevity. If the RaceDay achieves the reported RR with the same Vectran belt and just a thinner tread, it might still last long enough to be a GP5k killer (in performance, not sales).

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Oh also, just like the Comtura Prima, the Racedays are excellent at air retention considering how stupidly thin the casing is.

alanyu

by alanyu

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:04 am
Oh also, just like the Comtura Prima, the Racedays are excellent at air retention considering how stupidly thin the casing is.
Hope some seller in EU will sell it cheap in the near future, or Tufo release a Comtura Prima Plus

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Agreed. So far I have 1650km on my Prima and only now the middle mold line is becoming faint on the rear. Still visible all the way around on the front. If a Raceday-equivalent "Prima Plus" was under 70€ online and lasted 2000km+, I'd be satisfied.

Edit: the Enve blog post also makes mention of a 31mm version used by pros. Will that become available to buy?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CFrancis515 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:01 pm
I love the GP5000TT, I run it for every day use and have had no issues with durability. Longevity is not great, roughly 1200 miles for a rear tire. The new Enve feel extremely supple and thin. Will be putting a set on my Foil very soon. Will be going on my Enve 6.7 wheelset, they are 23mm internal width hookless wheels, I anticipate running them at 60psi in the front and 65psi in the rear. My current tire setup is a 25c GP5000TT on the front wheel at 75psi and a 28c GP5000TT in the rear at 65psi. I ride this bike about 100-120 miles a week so it shouln't take long to get a feel for them.

BTW I have 1600 very hilly miles on a rear-mounted 25mm GP5K TT TR and the tread wear indicator is still pretty obvious.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

29c

both 215g
Casing 72mm and tread 36mm

29.70mm inflated to 65psi on my Cadex 50 Ultras.. 22.4 IW

Front was easy peasy even with medium airliner ..
Rear my hands gave up, will try again later. (easy without airliner)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

CFrancis515

by CFrancis515

I have about 500 miles on the 27c Racedays now. Mounted on a set of 23mm internal widths Enve 6.7 on my Scott Foil, they measured 27.7mm, which is about .6mm wider than the 25c GP5000 TT TR tires that I pulled off. No signs of wear so far, 1 small puncture dead center of the tread that selaed almost immedialty with Orange Seal. These are the best feeling tires I have ever ridden. They are light and supple and feel like it! If they last 1500-2000 miles they will be my go to tire moving forward. I run TT TR's as my daily tires on everything, but these may have just dethroned them! Im also a huge fan of the new generation 26c SWorks RapidAir 2BR, I think its a better feeling tire that the 25c TT TR, though it doesnt feel faster, but this tops that tires as well. If I had to rank all the tires i've ran on this particular bike/setup, Scott Foil with Enve Hookless 6.7 it would be as follows.....

1. Enve SES Raceday 27c
2. Conti GP5000 TT TR 25c
3. SWorks Rapid Air 2BR 26c
4. Conti GP5000 S TR 25c

Requiem84

by Requiem84

Had about 200km's on them which went fine. Then went for a weekend to the Amstel Gold roads. Flatted the rear in 15mins. Huge sidewall whole, sealant wouldn't seal it. Plugs neither. Had to be picked up by car :(.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

did a practice crit with them today... supple like my power cups. Feel fast and corner well. I retired my power cups at ~1600 miles so if I get that much out of the Enves this is my new favorite tire.

I gave up getting the airliner in the rear and just setup it up tubeless. Airliner in the front went in fine and that's where I want it the most anyways.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

gurk700

by gurk700

I'm having no luck setting them up on the Farsports I just received. I tried every trick in the book. Even went to the gas station and tried their compressor with a presta / shrader converter. Co2... soap on beads. Everything. It's not a tape issue because it's a no hole rim.

GP5000 S TR's setup with 0 issues. First try with a floor pump. Didn't even have to take the presta valve head off for more airflow.

Any ideas ? Maybe it's just an unlucky match up / tolerance with no hope. I had difficult tubeless setups but no valve head for more airflow + co2 inflator as a last resort would always work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com