ENVE SES Race Day tires

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:59 am
Disappointing to read all this on an otherwise very promising tyre. Tyres that have trouble seating and staying seated are really not the easiest to work with, and then you have some rims where even GP5000 STRs are a bit "loose" to begin with ... which does not bode well for putting these on at all.
Is it surprising that a tyre designed specifically for one manufacturers rim doesn't work well on other rims?

I think Tobin has shared the only account of them on Enve rims and his review is very positive.

FWIW, I contacted Enve support about compatibility with non-Enve rims and it seems to have been ignored after four weeks :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Requiem84

by Requiem84

Regarding my experience, I think it was mostly user error. When I cleaned the rim properly it was really easy to install the tires and get them to seat. They hold pressure better than Corsa Pro's by the way.

Only real concern for me is how easy it was to puncture the side wall significantly on some backroads. Won't use them for now on backroads.

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

I have a pair of 27c on their way to me to mount on my PCW Wake 6560 Stradas. Sealed rim bed, no tape, 20.5 mm internal, hooked, Orange Seal regular.

Will report my experience.

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Where in the EU/UK can these be bought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

BadBoyR wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:02 pm

When I asked Saddleback a few weeks back, they were expecting them in on the 6th (yesterday)

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

mikehhhhhhh wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:20 am
Disappointing to read all this on an otherwise very promising tyre. Tyres that have trouble seating and staying seated are really not the easiest to work with, and then you have some rims where even GP5000 STRs are a bit "loose" to begin with ... which does not bode well for putting these on at all.
Is it surprising that a tyre designed specifically for one manufacturers rim doesn't work well on other rims?

I think Tobin has shared the only account of them on Enve rims and his review is very positive.

FWIW, I contacted Enve support about compatibility with non-Enve rims and it seems to have been ignored after four weeks :(
I would not read THY's account as positive, let alone very positive. No question that the tyre performs well once installed. But the installation experience - where you need to max out the compressor to 160 psi and then hold down the tyre too is very far from optimal/straightforward. Maybe expecting a tyre that is this light to inflate with only a track pump is too much, but I think a slightly tighter diameter would help.

The other thing I worry about with tyres that are loose are of course risks of tyres rolling off the rim at deflation and/or risks of blow offs, especially with hookless. These Enve tyres and Tufo's own (which seem to suffer from the same installation issue) have not been around long enough for us to make any conclusions on this particular topic, but if you look at the other tyre that is known to be hard to seat (Vittoria Corsa Pro), they are also the ones with he most reported blow offs.

As a more general observation: we just went from a world in the early days of road tubeless where users were complaining about it being too hard to get tubeless tyres on the rim, to a world where they go on very easy, but it is then impossible to seat them properly. There is obviously a balance there, which many manufacturers do strike successfully - but it unfortunately not universal, and standards/tolerances just don't seem to be nearly precise enough.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I do the above processes all the time... why? not because I have to everytime, but because that is the most sucessful way to get it right the first time. I'd much rather be 1 or 2 and done.. then systematically try 5-6 times.

yes expecting track pump success is too much.

I'll know after this weekend rides if they stand up to my roads.. and if they do I'm selling my unused powercups.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Requiem84’s early anecdote sounds suspiciously like only some of the bead “popped” into place as it was suffering from a high rate of air loss. These tires held air incredibly well on my SES 6.7s without sealant, as did Comtura Primas on LB WR50s. The tires did not pop off the rim when deflated. Tufo’s casing and bead are so air tight, my Comtura Primas were still at 48psi after a month in storage.

“Loose beads” are not a major contributor to tires unseating when deflated. Tight beads and stiff vulcanized casings can be. Rim design is the biggest source of grief here.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

BadBoyR wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:02 pm

Bought from Mohawk's Cycles, bicycle store near Paris with a web shop.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

hit a large rock on a group ride (thanks ppl)... sidewall small puncture. Stab and go, probably would have sealed if I waited longer but I'm impatient. Cant really blame the tire on this one.. went though my share of bumps and marbles and general crap roads and they held up well except for the rock.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My 29s are now 31.5mm at 60psi on SES 6.7s...a couple spots as wide as 31.7mm. They just survived a very rough road race and look pristine.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:38 am
My 29s are now 31.5mm at 60psi on SES 6.7s...a couple spots as wide as 31.7mm. They just survived a very rough road race and look pristine.
30.8 @ 60psi front
31.02 @ 63psi rear on Cadex50.

pretty shitty road past 2 days.. tires look good also. I think these will be my go-to tires for now.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

jj911c2

by jj911c2

I have 500k on mine now and still no punctures despite riding on some bad roads. They have now expanded to 30.7 (on 21mm wide Roval Rapide CLX IIs). Mine were hard to get inflated (even with compressor) but did seat well (loudest tire seating noise I have ever had) and I could not easily push tire off bead when deflated. Air retention is very good - about 5 PSI per week. Overall happy with these tires - will be interesting to see how far they go.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Have yet to see these in any major EU retailer.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

gurk700

by gurk700

Unfortunately no luck with my rims. Bummer I won't be able to test out these tires.
Even got an air compressor (not only for installing these but future tubeless setups) with the park tool inf-2

2 different wheelsets (farsports 30mm width, no spoke holes and hed vanquish with tape)
They both mount gp5000 with 0 effort. Just with a floor pump. Also tested them with the air compressor and ofcourse that's even easier / quicker.

Enves just won't seat. Tried pressing on different areas of the tire etc while I inflate with the compressor. No go.

Finally tried the inner tube method too. Still didn't work.

Just my experience obviously. I'm aware I might be minority.

One more method I can think of is putting sealant in first and let it slush around. Maybe it'll make the tire a little air tight before I try to seat it? who knows.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com