ENVE SES Race Day tires

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

AirShot all the way to 160psi + hold the tire firmly against the rim at the valve position with your hand. Otherwise use a tube and seat both beads, then carefully pop only one side off to remove the tube. With one bead seated, there should be enough tension in the other bead that it is sitting tight in the center channel...that air won't rush out from under the bead when you pop it with an AirShot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

No issues with the front, I think having the airliner in there helped a bit.. I went straight to the compressor on monday (lazy) The rear I just stuck a tube in got the beads to seat (took 70psi) then broke one side off took the tube out, soaped the open side and easy peasy. I'm sure it was 100deg in my garage where the compressor is.. so forget that. Topeak chamber pump @ 140psi was more then enough.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

gurk700 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:04 am
It's not a tape issue because it's a no hole rim.
In a way, it can be a tape issue. I doubt Farsports increases the diameter to account for omitting tape when they provide no hole rims.

But like others said, have you really tried everything?
Mount with a tube first
Use an air shot

gurk700

by gurk700

Reason I'm not too hopeful about airshot is I've used one before and when it failed, co2 worked.
Before I commit to buying one again I'll give the tubed setup a try. I've had rims before where tires would immediately get off the bead when they lose a little bit of air. Hopefully this won't be one of those.

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

IME, if you can't mount a tyre from the centre channel first, mounting one side first with a tube will usually make it harder to seat.

Was the garage air line a forecourt one? These have fairly low line pressure.

Find a proper compressor or an air shot as suggested.

I also wouldn't use a set of tyres that fell off the bead when deflated. Remember these tyres are only compatible with Enve rims according to their website!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

This tire and the Comtura Prima seat with some of the loudest bangs/pings you'll ever hear in the process. Same goes with Goodyear's latest tires. If they come off the bead shelf when deflated, I'm going to blame the rim.

gurk700

by gurk700

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:19 am
This tire and the Comtura Prima seat with some of the loudest bangs/pings you'll ever hear in the process. Same goes with Goodyear's latest tires. If they come off the bead shelf when deflated, I'm going to blame the rim.
You can't blame the rim when other tires mount with a floor pump :lol:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

gurk700 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:24 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:

You're conflating two different aspects of the tire. All I'm saying is these tires do not pop back into the center channel when deflated on any of my rims. I agree they are hard to seat, basically impossible with a floor pump unless you build up the circumference of the rim with additional layers of tape.

gurk700

by gurk700

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:32 am
gurk700 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:24 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:

You're conflating two different aspects of the tire. All I'm saying is these tires do not pop back into the center channel when deflated on any of my rims. I agree they are hard to seat, basically impossible with a floor pump unless you build up the circumference of the rim with additional layers of tape.
I’m so confused about what you are defending. obviously it doesn’t from some rims and it does from others. you can’t conclude that the rims are the problem just cause deflation gets them off the bead, it just means tires and rims are at the edges of their % tolerance. one is smallest it can be one is largest it can be etc. i’m not blaming the tire or the rim. clearly they work with your rims and not mine. i simply came here with a cold hard fact. if there is a way to fit them on farsport wheels, it is not very straightforward. but thanks for the suggestions, i’ll try them.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

gurk700 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:55 am

I’m so confused about what you are defending. obviously it doesn’t from some rims and it does from others. you can’t conclude that the rims are the problem just cause deflation gets them off the bead, it just means tires and rims are at the edges of their % tolerance. one is smallest it can be one is largest it can be etc. i’m not blaming the tire or the rim. clearly they work with your rims and not mine. i simply came here with a cold hard fact. if there is a way to fit them on farsport wheels, it is not very straightforward. but thanks for the suggestions, i’ll try them.

Again you're conflating two different things. I was replying to mikehhhhhhh saying he wouldn't use tires that fell off the bead shelf when deflated, mentioning that these specific tires are one of the most secure tires I've ever mounted (on multiple rims.) If Raceday tires fall off a rim's bead shelf upon deflation, I'm definitely going to pin it on the rim and not the Raceday or Comtura Prima tires.

Bead retention is generally not about a tire's bead diameter but rather the bead's cross-section. In fact if anything it's a little bit of the opposite, if a bead had an undersized circumference, that bead tension is more likely to pull it back into a state of low tension, aka pull it back into the center channel. So a tire with a bead diameter/circumference on the looser side is more likely to be retained on the bead shelf to a certain degree. This is why with some problematic combos if you pop one bead off entirely the other bead comes even harder to pop off.

Requiem84

by Requiem84

My Race Day's also popped of the bead upon deflation. (DT Swiss 1100 dicut).

Tires seated properly with a booster first, but then rear tire would slowly deflate and finally pop of the bead. Leaking the sealant on the floor in the process. Took the tire off, cleaned the rim thoroughly and installed the rear again. Now it keeps air very well.

When I had the flat at the rear on Sunday the tires did not unseat by the way. Didn't feel unsafe.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Requiem84 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:19 am
My Race Day's also popped of the bead upon deflation. (DT Swiss 1100 dicut).

Tires seated properly with a booster first, but then rear tire would slowly deflate and finally pop of the bead. Leaking the sealant on the floor in the process. Took the tire off, cleaned the rim thoroughly and installed the rear again. Now it keeps air very well.

TBH it kind of sounds like you seated the tire partially, as in you heard some pops/bangs, but part of the bead did not make it totally past the beadlock.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

no issues with Cadex50 and these tires with deflation... beads stayed on.

air retention is super with these..I had my front inflated with no sealent from monday to wedesday and no noticable loss of pressure.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

After a few days now standing at 30.5 width of the 29c tire
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Disappointing to read all this on an otherwise very promising tyre. Tyres that have trouble seating and staying seated are really not the easiest to work with, and then you have some rims where even GP5000 STRs are a bit "loose" to begin with ... which does not bode well for putting these on at all.