ENVE SES Race Day tires

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
RDY

by RDY

Personally I'd wait for a Tufo branded variant. The cost on these is ridiculous. Tufo are definitely setting the cat amongst the pigeons with RR, grip and PP vs all the established players. Hope a 32 will come too.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

RDY wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 12:26 pm
Personally I'd wait for a Tufo branded variant. The cost on these is ridiculous. Tufo are definitely setting the cat amongst the pigeons with RR, grip and PP vs all the established players. Hope a 32 will come too.
And weight. Throw that in and it becomes hard to believe!

Any indication an equivalent tire is coming from Tufo directly? I'd be up for that, and doubly so if it's an even bigger size. The Enve street price is 50% higher than everything else I'm considering.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ where are you getting...

GP5000TT, Corsa Pro Speed, etc for 50bucks, because this is the level of tire it should be compared too.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

RDY

by RDY

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 5:07 pm
RDY wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 12:26 pm
And weight. Throw that in and it becomes hard to believe!

Any indication an equivalent tire is coming from Tufo directly? I'd be up for that, and doubly so if it's an even bigger size. The Enve street price is 50% higher than everything else I'm considering.
No indication. But I'd assume they'll do a TT branded / marketed super fast tire under their own brand. It'd be very odd for them to keep the fastest stuff for Enve only, especially since their own brand is much stronger than Enve's is for tires. When the SES originally launched it was before all their own new gen gravel, road and MTB tires launched and became feted.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Good point. Hopefully no exclusive tech for Enve so we can see it happen.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

spdntrxi wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 5:24 pm
^ where are you getting...

GP5000TT, Corsa Pro Speed, etc for 50bucks, because this is the level of tire it should be compared too.
When B is 50% more than A, then A is not 50% less than B. For example, 100€ is 50% more than 66€.

Prices I can find with stock:
TT TR for 65€
Corsa Pro Speed for 75€

We may disagree on use case, but I'd use these as an alternative to S TR, Corsa Pro, and Power Cup since it's more puncture resistant and slower than the TT tires. Those I can find for:
S TR 55€
Corsa Pro 58€
Power Cup 50€

Since the only EU price I can find for the Raceday is 100€, even "50% more" is being generous compared to those. Compared to TT tires it's about right.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Tufo-branded price might be lower, but it will not be cheap. I am seeing Tufo Comtura Prima (another great contenter by the way - a couple watts slower than STR black version, but much higher puncture protection, same thread thickness, and amazing grip numbers) at GPB 63 or $80. Race-day equivalents are likely to be a bit more expensive still. Maybe once you have enough stock at online retailers, these will get lower in price, but not yet.

In any case, Tufo are properly in the game. Will be buying these when I wear out my current sets of STRs.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

just purchased a pair of 29c's.. have a couple of powercups that have seen better days with plugs and bumps getting ugly.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 6:40 pm
Tufo-branded price might be lower, but it will not be cheap. I am seeing Tufo Comtura Prima (another great contenter by the way - a couple watts slower than STR black version, but much higher puncture protection, same thread thickness, and amazing grip numbers) at GPB 63 or $80. Race-day equivalents are likely to be a bit more expensive still. Maybe once you have enough stock at online retailers, these will get lower in price, but not yet.

In any case, Tufo are properly in the game. Will be buying these when I wear out my current sets of STRs.
The cheapest I can find:
SES Road 75€
Tufo Prima 55€

So in that case the SES is 35% more expensive.

Maybe you're thinking of retail prices? Since we don't pay retail, I don't really care what that number is. Enve doesn't go on discount like Tufo in Europe. If a Tufo Raceday is 70€ or less, then I'll jump on it!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Anyone able to measure a new 29mm tire?

My measurements 72mm/35mm case/tread.
BRR's measurements 76mm/36mm

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 4:40 am
Anyone able to measure a new 29mm tire?

My measurements 72mm/35mm case/tread.
BRR's measurements 76mm/36mm
still in route to me :( good luck at dash4$
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 5:24 am

I just mounted them for that very race.

Quick findings: Very slight feeling tire indeed. Easy to fit over the rim. Just like Tufo Comtura Primas, there’s no way these will seat with a floor pump and just two layers of most tapes. I used my AirShot canister and the tires seated without issues with louder pings than any other tires.

Initial measurements are around 30.5mm @ 60psi on 23mm internal ENVEs. I’m not quite sure how BRR got 29.9mm out of the same tire on 17.8mm rims unless the tire casing is super stretchy. Then again his casing width measurement was 4mm wider than mine to begin with…strange.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

BRR take measurements at 100psi? Doesn't explain the casing width however

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 7:40 am
spdntrxi wrote:

Quick findings: Very slight feeling tire indeed. Easy to fit over the rim. Just like Tufo Comtura Primas, there’s no way these will seat with a floor pump and just two layers of most tapes. I used my AirShot canister and the tires seated without issues with louder pings than any other tires.

Initial measurements are around 30.5mm @ 60psi on 23mm internal ENVEs. I’m not quite sure how BRR got 29.9mm out of the same tire on 17.8mm rims unless the tire casing is super stretchy. Then again his casing width measurement was 4mm wider than mine to begin with…strange.
Your measurements correspond with Enve's own data on the table. Seems like BRR got a larger tyre than everyone else.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 7:40 am
spdntrxi wrote:

good to know.. my cadex are 22.4 or something and honestly there is no clearance on the rear of the Teammachine R.. so I dont want anything much over 31 to begin with.

you got a packed and stacked field..since it's district champs.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault