Campy wheel recommendation

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
idickers

by idickers

I'm building up a 1991 DeRosa SLX frame that I've ridden for 30 years. I'm building up with a 12-speed Campagnolo Super Record groupset with mechanical shifting and rim brakes, and am looking for wheels. Something like the Bora wheels, but with aluminum rims (for braking). Should I be looking at the Shamals? Or?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ClydesDale

by ClydesDale

Do Custom Hed Jets if you want deeper rims, like the Bora's or Ardennes if you want regular 30mm ish wheels. If you want to stay Campy -Shamal, or something from their sister brand Fulcrum like Racing Zeroes.

idickers

by idickers

With my frame I'm limited to 25mm tires in front and 28mm in the rear. With those limitations are there any advantages to a wider inner diameter rim than the C17 Shamal?

de zwarten

by de zwarten

idickers wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:15 pm
I'm building up a 1991 DeRosa SLX frame that I've ridden for 30 years. I'm building up with a 12-speed Campagnolo Super Record groupset with mechanical shifting and rim brakes, and am looking for wheels. Something like the Bora wheels, but with aluminum rims (for braking). Should I be looking at the Shamals? Or?
I would still go for Bora wheels. The latest rim brake edition has a textured (AC3 it's called) braking surface which is truly excellent for braking in dry weather. I haven't tested in wet, but it should be on par with aluminium rims.As I wouldn't ride such a nice steel frame (+ those components) in the wet, in that case, Boras should do, but maybe you have plans to ride in the wet...?

idickers

by idickers

Thanks, I admit the DeRosa probably won't go out if it's raining. I've got an aluminum commuter bike with fenders for the wet stuff.

Priit

by Priit

I’ve two sets of Boras, first gen and also with AC3 brake surface. Boths are as good as aluminium rims in wet or dry. Use only Campagnolo red brake pads with Boras.

But for this DeRosa definitely Campagnolo Hyperon tubular wheels should be most appropriate - possible to find in eBay sometimes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com