Zonda C17 vs Shamal C17 Rim milling difference

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
3Pio

by 3Pio

How much difference add rim milling process in Zonda vs Shamal wheelsets (C17) in real world? Shamal have toroidal rim milling (more U shape), while Zonda more classical Boxed shape Is this influence just cosmetic and look, or really make some difference that can be feel? Personally i consider steel spokes of Zonda as better approach vs Shamal, Hub/Bearings only cosmetic but wonder how much difference between them add this different rim milling procedures in overall ride performance?

So what are ur opinion regarding this?

usr

by usr

Shame they never made a "Super Zonda" as in all the Shamal bling but with steel spokes, mirroring the "Zonda with aluminum spokes" of Eurus. Might have made me slightly poorer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

usr wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:36 pm
Shame they never made a "Super Zonda" as in all the Shamal bling but with steel spokes, mirroring the "Zonda with aluminum spokes" of Eurus. Might have made me slightly poorer.
Yes.. i was telling similat thing to a friend.. Why they dont made Shamal Rims, Zonda steel spokes and bling hubs from Shamal?

6fu

by 6fu

Save the money and get zondas. I had fulcrum zeros (shamal counterpart), amazing wheels but I don't think they bring noticeable difference vs basic zondas.

3Pio

by 3Pio

6fu wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:56 pm
Save the money and get zondas. I had fulcrum zeros (shamal counterpart), amazing wheels but I don't think they bring noticeable difference vs basic zondas.
I allready own Zonda C17 and use them as my winter wheelsets usually with Continental 4Season tires and regular conti ineer tubes.. This days i switch to Continental 4000 SII 23mm and latter inner tubes.. And definitely they deserve good tires combo as they are stiff, reactive and very comfortable in same time... Amazing wheelsets totaly agree with u (and i own a Bora Tubulars beside this)

kervelo

by kervelo

IMO the Shamal hubs are more than just bling. Years ago I used to have both the Zondas and the Shamals and found the Shamal hubs with the ceramic bearings to be much better. But as already mentioned, the steel spokes of the Zondas make the wheels smoother than the alu spokes of Shamal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com