Versatile wheels that can be used for climbing

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
aprivat

by aprivat

I need a light wheelset that can be used for climbing two or three weeks per year.

As I will use the wheelset in my (flat) home country the remaining part of the roadbiking season, I am not interested in pure climbing wheels (Enve 2.3, Roval Alpinist, etc.).

I have thought about wheels such as:

- Enve 3.4
- Princeton Carbonworks Peak Evolution
- Shimano Dura Ace 40
- Zipp 353
- the new Scope wheels

The most easy thing for me would be to go for the Enve 3.4 as I can buy them at my LBS for a decent price. However, after having read various reviews, I am in doubt as to whether the Enve 3.4 is more an allroad/gravel wheel than a road wheel.

I like the look and specs of the Princeton wheels but can't find any reviews. Would they be worth the price premium?

Any recommendations?
Cannondale Lab71 (2023)
S-Works Tarmac SL8 (2023)
Trek Domane Koppenberg (2014)
Specialized S-Works Crux (2021)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quadlt250

by quadlt250

What wheels do you currently use?
I could see buying a bigger cassette or a compact crankset to use during a holiday with lots of climbing but I'd assume you already have a light all-rounder set on your Cannondale & Tarmac?

aprivat

by aprivat

My Cannondale is gone.

I have the Roval Rapide CLX 2 on my Tarmac. While they are in many ways fine for climbing, I prefer something less deep for windy days.

I will use the new wheels on a Pinarello bike that I am building right now (and on the Tarmac that I will continue to bring for "climbing" holidays).
Cannondale Lab71 (2023)

toxin

by toxin

Crw, farsports

quadlt250

by quadlt250

The Rovals you have are marketed to be as stable as shallower climbing wheels, so I'd stick with them unless you're looking into something like a Zipp 202 or an alloy training wheel.

aprivat

by aprivat

Thanks.

Any feedback on the Enve 3.4 wheelset?
Cannondale Lab71 (2023)

kode54

by kode54

So many reviews out on the Enve SES 3.4. The Allroad version used to have AR in the name.

If you need climbing wheels and only use them when traveling outside of your local routes, maybe get a Light Bicycle wheelset that can match the weights if not less than the big brands you mention.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

toxin wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:46 pm
Crw, farsports
+1 Would Be My Choice As Well

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

quadlt250 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:00 pm
The Rovals you have are marketed to be as stable as shallower climbing wheels, so I'd stick with them unless you're looking into something like a Zipp 202 or an alloy training wheel.
They aren't.

I mean they're pretty good, at 80kg I'm reasonably comfortable throwing my bike down descents at 80km/h in 50-70km/h winds. But in similar conditions my 353s barely move at all.

For the OP. I went for 353 for this exact purpose. I wanted an all-rounder that I could use for really windy days, add a bit of comfort for big days and save a bit of weight for big climbs.

I might not have chosen them for weight alone, however. Minimum 30mm tyre, which will measure 32.5mm might be a deal breaker for some.

There didn't seem to be any competition unless you're comfortable with Chinese wheels.

tiz92

by tiz92

Farsports carbon spoke wheels with their rd270 hub. Choose whatever depth/width you want.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

tiz92 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:57 pm
Farsports carbon spoke wheels with their rd270 hub. Choose whatever depth/width you want.
This.
Speedplay is the devil!

usr

by usr

Nitpick: wheels make very little difference for climbing. Uphill, extra grams on the wheels make as little difference as grams on the frame, or on the rider. If you are bound by a 6.8 limit there would even be a tiny marginal gain in transferring mass from frame to rim, because while climbing that extra intertia helps more than it harms (I know this is a a little counterintuitive, and certainly very far on the "marginal" end of the gains spectrum).

It's the descending where you don't want deep rims in treacherous mountain winds, and where you don't want heavy rims that eat more energy when slamming the brakes until decelerated to whatever speed you consider sufficiently safe-ish for that upcoming turn.

UltraXC

by UltraXC

I recently bought a set of Enve SES 3.4s. They're fantastic and I have zero regrets. However, if I hadn't gotten such a great deal on them I would have bought the 4.5s. Pogacar rides them in the alps you'll have no trouble climbing with them.

DHG01

by DHG01

Having various wheels (including 2.2 and 4.5), C40 are probably my favorites. Not as light, but strong and reliable. Good with crosswinds.

Quite surprised at descending at 80 km/h with 70 km/h wind though; that is not something I would ddo.
Last edited by DHG01 on Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DHG01

by DHG01

usr wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:16 pm
Nitpick: wheels make very little difference for climbing. Uphill, extra grams on the wheels make as little difference as grams on the frame, or on the rider. If you are bound by a 6.8 limit there would even be a tiny marginal gain in transferring mass from frame to rim, because while climbing that extra intertia helps more than it harms (I know this is a a little counterintuitive, and certainly very far on the "marginal" end of the gains spectrum).

It's the descending where you don't want deep rims in treacherous mountain winds, and where you don't want heavy rims that eat more energy when slamming the brakes until decelerated to whatever speed you consider sufficiently safe-ish for that upcoming turn.
Not sure why transferring weight from wheel to frame would help uphill (versus being neutral; beyond the one off acceleration).

Spot on in regards to biggest benefit for lighter wheels being downhill, where braking, and subsequent acceleration, plays a role.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com