DT 240 front hub not spin

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Jaisen

by Jaisen

fulton wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:04 pm
that's all I could achieve. Even if I increase the preload, the situation does not improve.
What do you think? https://www.youtube.com/shorts/eIKwuZQMen8
Is 8 Nm enough for the thru axle?
Probably not, but check with the manufacturer of the bike frame. My specialized Tarmac SL7 says I need 15Nm for the thru-axles, so if your frame is about the same, you are only at 50% of spec.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fulton

by fulton

understand . my frame says 12 Nm max.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

fulton wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:37 pm
understand . my frame says 12 Nm max.
If it were me, I'd torque it to 12Nm and not worry about the tiny bit of drag from the preload.

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

My ARC1100 don't have this issue, but both of my Zipp 303 and 404 is just as draggy as you've shown after tighten the axle to ~10Nm. TBH, based on my experience with zipp, the drag does not affect your ride, but it is annoying for sure.
Since this is toeque related, it is more likely that your end cap or the hub shell is probably on the extreme side of manufacturing tolerances.

I will try to find a new end cap to see if it helps. If not, maybe reinstalling the bearings. If all of this don't work out, you gotta argue with DT to warranty it. (maybe buy directly sending them emails, not through LBS)

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

Your safest bet is to talk to DT via emails or phone calls. This is kinda expected if you are having bad luck when buying a wheelset. The preload does pull more drag on the wheel, but it is far from anything significant, i.e., they have every right to not answer your warranty claim but they can be kind if you really convince them. Sort of a grey area of warranty claim, similar to you buy a computer monitor buy get 1-2 pixel dead...

fulton

by fulton

thank you all

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

My general experience with DT SWISS has been the opposite - it should be slightly draggy out-of-the-bike. Not rough as in "feeling it run over the individual balls" but just overall very slightly draggy mushy feeling. Then, when you tighten the wheel inside the frame/fork to 10 - 15 Nm, the end caps put pressure on the aluminium hub axle effectively squeezing it and shrinking it in the longitudinal direction. This frees the bearings up.

My guess is either tolerances (hub shell, hub axle, end caps) or the bearings are not seated all the way in - you need an over-axle bearing press and a hammer to seat them. DT have "installation cylinders" for that job.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc