Road tires (tubeless) that can handle some dirt

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I'm currently using 32mm gravelking slicks on my aethos - has anyone used a lighter (road) tire as 90+% of my riding is on pavement. 28-32 mm. I haven't found anything lighter than the gravelkings to fit the bill. Just wondering if anyone has had any tires they found reliable (and robust) enough for this (without a weight penalty).
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nohands83

by Nohands83

They won't be lighter but 5P5K All Season will very likely be faster and more durable than your gravel kings. Vittoria Corsa Next might also be worth looking at.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I've done a lot of dirt roads in Cambodia on a tandem with 32mm 4-Seasons without a flat. They're reasonably fast.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

What is considered "light?" 300g, 350g, 270g? Also what type of "gravel" are you riding, since there's some many different types of terrain once you get off tarmac

Just looking at BRR rankings something like the tufo or corsa next are good combos or RR, weight, grip and puncture resistance. Conti and Vitoria seem to have the fastest compounds but seem to have more weight and less durability based off of BRR tests, although ymmv.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

32mm Gravelking slicks are 285g. TBH you're going to struggle to find a tubeless tyre lighter than that which doesn't mind a bit of dirt.

A Specialized Mondo will be reliable and robust but is heavier.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

CampagYOLO wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:42 am
32mm Gravelking slicks are 285g. TBH you're going to struggle to find a tubeless tyre lighter than that which doesn't mind a bit of dirt.

Mine are all coming in over - between 310g and 328g (mostly in the 320's).
Speedplay is the devil!

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

mdeth1313 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:58 am
CampagYOLO wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:42 am

Mine are all coming in over - between 310g and 328g (mostly in the 320's).
Interesting, I have some 32mm slicks at home and they were under the reported weight of 290g at 280g.

I see Panaracer have released some new Gravelkings which may be improved but there's no more 32mm, only 30 and 35mm. No weights on the Panaracer website either

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com